Bridal Shower Cake Strange Request, Help!

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 7:51pm by ladybuglau

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:24am
post #1 of 11

my friend wants me to make her shower cake, and since she's not the foo-foo girly type, she doesn't want something pretty like a gify box or something flowery. She wants and BBQ bridal shower with beer and hot dogs and she wants a beer pong table as a cake! Any ideas or suggestions on how to go about making a ping pong table with beer cups on it as a cake??????
I'm thinking a sheet cake to start off with but I can't wrap my brain around making tiny beer cups and a net and whatnot

10 replies
jastaus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jastaus Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:39am
post #2 of 11

beer mugs (or as we use in beer pong... plastic cups and a keg haha) and the ping pong ball should be fine to make in gum paste just make way ahead so cups can dry as they will be thick. But I don't know about the net.... I've never played with the net actually on the table anyway though. Just 10 cups on each side set up in a triangle hahaha. I bet it will be really cute!

But if you wanted to do a net.... it would be such a pain to weave one with fondant but i bet you could do it. or you could do a modern/abstract net with spun sugar.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:47am
post #3 of 11

You could probably make the net with royal icing. We always used the plastic red cups, if you made those and then colored some piping gel beer colored and put it in the cups and set them up, it wouldbe awesome!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:47am
post #4 of 11

Okay, I'm really curious. What is beer pong?

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:59am
post #5 of 11

I thought my Bride was strange wanting her shower in a coffee theme

keriskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keriskreations Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:12am
post #6 of 11

Isn't it interesting how different everyone is - I would never have thought about a ping pong table with beer for a cake, but, hey, whatever works! I bet you could make the net out of royal icing, and since it gets so hard, you could stand it up. Just make a bunch of x's over one another on some wax paper with royal icing, let it completely dry, and then you can peel it off and stand it up in the cake. Don't make it too tall, but about an inch or two would be doable.
I would make the beer mugs out of gumpaste or fondant - that would be cute.

I can't wait to see the outcome!

ladybuglau Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 1:59am
post #7 of 11

thank you for the replies everyone! I never worked with gumpaste before and I don't have too much experience with fondant either, I guess I better start crackin huh!
on a side note- we always use the red solo cups too so I think thats probably what I'd do
and to LanaC, beer pong is a totally fun summer BBQ game where you line up cups of beer on a ping pong table and have to get the ball in the cups on the other side and make your opponents finish their beers before they make you finish yours

ruralepicure Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruralepicure Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:07am
post #8 of 11

How funny! I have a baby shower cake coming up so I was reading this as if it was for a baby shower - I was thinking this was a REALLY weird request!! Sorry I'm no help but good luck!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:16am
post #9 of 11

Gotcha! This cake could be really cute and not all that difficult. The net will be a pain, but you can make a paddle and a bunch of the red solo cups as someone suggested out of fondant. You can even have a couple of the cups overturned with "beer" spilling out of them onto the table. If you can't get the net to stretch properly, you could even just have it sticking up on either side of the table and draping down in the center (like most well used pingpong nets hang).

NanciY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanciY Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 11

I did a baby rattle snake cake for a baby shower last weekend, so I feel ya! Weird, but they LOVED it.

I would probably try piping royal onto a drawn pattern under waxed paper and see if it works. It is cheap and fairly easy, even if it doesn't work out perfectly. Just make extras, in case of breakage.

Sounds really cute. GL

ladybuglau Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 7:51pm
post #11 of 11

thanks for the advice everyone!!!!! I'll post pics after it's done icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%