Stanley Cup Wedding Cake

Decorating By Kakelady Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 5:53pm by Rocketgirl899

Kakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakelady Posted 13 Sep 2004 , 3:05am
post #1 of 10

I am making a version of the Stanley Cup as a wedding cake for a couple. The bottom will be three same size tiers of real cake. Next will be three styro dummies in 1" increments. the next part is what I need any help or suggestions I can get. It has to be the "cup" part which is actually a bowl that sits on a small pedestal. I'm thinking about making the bowl out of gumpaste as the couple plans to keep that part and the three styro tiers to display. I'm just not sure how to go about it as I've only made flowers out of gumpaste and nothing quite like this. The wedding is only a couple of weeks away so I've get working on it so that it will dry. Please help !?

9 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 13 Sep 2004 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 10

Hi Kakelady,
okay just thinking out loud!!

-Take a bowl and make a mold with simple sugar+water paste, then after it
dries carve the inside to make it hollow inside just like a bowl
-make few cakes and stack and attatch them with dowels and carve them to a bowl shape and cover in sugarpaste. or do the same thing with styrofoam layers. icon_smile.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 13 Sep 2004 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 10

I haven't gotten to try this yet, but I read it in a book called The Icing on the Cake. Using a bowl shaped object lightly dusted with cornstarch (I think a stainless steel bowl would work great) roll out your gum paste into a large circle. Ease the gum paste circle into the bowl pressing gently against the sides and bottom to smooth out any creases. Trim the excess off the top. Let dry overnight.

karen123123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karen123123 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #4 of 10

I, too, was asked to make a stanley cup cake for a groomscake and did a practice cake for them. I put the fondant around a stainless bowl dusted with cornstarch and let it dry overnight and for a couple of days. My problem was the top rim was uneven. What I thought I would do next time is to make the fondant/gumpaste a bit thicker and when dry, pipe a small bead border around the top of the bowl with royal icing. It will be a decorative edge. I hope you attach a photo when you are done.

CookieGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieGirl Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 10

Check out this site for a really good close up 360 view of Stanley's Cup. Great for reference! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/silver_vrtro.htm

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:41pm
post #6 of 10

I just found this looking through the web.... Stanley cup cake.

http://images.wikia.com/openserving/sports/images/e/e6/Michelle_and_Dave_photo_-2.jpg

Good luck!! I'm sure it will turn out great!!
~ Jaime

karen123123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karen123123 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for your help. That cake is awesome, Jaime

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 10

The cake Jaime showed I believe is from Duff...

maybe try looking for that episode I think it showed them making the top...

Also you could use a bowl and cover the inside and outside and sandwhich the bowl in the middle and glue it...

i don't know!

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 11:42am
post #9 of 10

It was from Ace of Cakes crew.... but I didn't want to say since some people love them and others have a 'different view.' Me personally - I love them!! I even learn a thing or two while I crack up watching the show!!!
Good luck with the cake!! Be sure to share on post once you have a picture to share!!
~ Jaime

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 10

Jaime... thats my sisters official name. icon_biggrin.gif we were born in a spanish speaking country, so thats what they wrote on the birth certificate. Everyone spells it Jamie... and it took 16 years till someone finally noticed the difference. Oops!

Anyway...

I know what you mean about the different views of duff. Personally, I think its great for TV. But I also think there are better decorators out there. I watch every episode none the less. lol. i learn lots too!

Just wanted to make sure he got credit for the cake is all! Thanks for linkin the photo.

CC needs a faster way to drop photos into forums. imo.
Kakelady, post pics when your done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%