Painting With Buttercream

Decorating By mcginnis Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm by splash2splat

mcginnis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcginnis Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 9

This question goes out to those who have turned their cakes into works of art by making them look like an oil painting.

I have seen a couple of cakes in the gallery by "talmas" who is very talented at doing this.

I don't know how to attach a post to show you all the cakes I'm talking about, but if you do a search for talmas, or painted barn, you should find them.

Anyway, has anybody else every done this? I have painted before on canvas, but I just can't figure out the technique for painting like this on a cake with buttercream!

Do you start with a frosted cake? do you paint on top of fondant with the buttercream? How do you keep the buttercream from sticking to your paintbrush? stuff like that.

So if any of you out there that have done this, would you mind sharing some tips?
These are the most beautiful cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank-You
mcginnis

8 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 9

Here is something she said when someone asked her about her cakes:
" cover the cake with a base coat of white buttercream. I get some small jars and put different colors of buttercream. I sit down with my paint brushes that I bought for food purposes only and paint like it is a canvas"

Good Luck!

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the compliments. I really enjoyed making those cakes.

What kind of buttercream are you using? I always use this recipe http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1602-ButterCream-Icing-for-Frozen-Transfers.html Besides being yummy, it is good consistency for painting. If you want to try a different recipe, it needs to be a thin consistency.

Yes, I put a base coat of buttercream on the cake so I wouldn't have to worry about crumbs.

As you can probably tell, I love making trees. The look really cool after they are done. People describe the look to a relief map because I add buttercream on top of buttercream to get the shading. You have to be very delicate when you get to the details. My paintbrush would barely touch when shading the tree.

If you have any other question, I will answer the best I can. I really have know idea what I am doing. I have never taken any art classes. My husband bought me a paint set for my birthday about 4 years ago and I started watching Bob Ross and Jerry Yarnell on PBS. Bob Ross is amazing. I will never be that good but I do the best I can.

Good luck!

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 9

Wow Talmas those are beautiful! I will have to give it a try someday. I would be happy if I could do half the job that you do. Love them! icon_smile.gif

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 11 Mar 2006 , 1:32am
post #5 of 9

talmas,

Your cakes are beautiful thumbs_up.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 9

yes, yes.........absolutely stunning works of art!!!!! An inspiration to cake decorators and painters alike!

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 9

WOW, so beautiful! You all are so creative! thumbs_up.gif

QueenB4U Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenB4U Posted 13 Aug 2007 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 9

Absolutely breathtaking, talmas! I am in awe.

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 9

This is really neat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%