Looking For A Cake Designer In Virginia Beach For A Wedding

Decorating By Aine Updated 11 Mar 2006 , 12:12am by stephanie214

Aine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aine Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 37

I am in Virginia Beach and looking for a cake maker for my wedding in May. I posted the thought of myself decorating a cake but my bf wants to see if we can get one made before we attempt something outselves. I am not looking for super fancy or huge- 50 people simple and elegant is what I would like. If you want the experience or just something fun to challenge yourself with I am willing to talk about it with you and see if we can make something happen.
Aine

36 replies
Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 37

Wish I lived close I would love to help you! But I am sure you will find an awesome cake decorator here! Good Luck and congrats on the wedding!

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 37

I can't help you with finding a decorator, but if you edit your post title to say something like this, you might catch the attention of someone in your area:

Looking for cake decorator in Virginia Beach area

good luck!
Laur.a

mischief1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mischief1212 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 37

I don't know if you have found anyone yet but I live in Chesapeake and depending on the date may be able to help you if you are interested!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 37

Hi mischief1212,

Wow, didn't realize that CC had people that was so close to me.

What part of Chesapeake are you in? My sister lives in Chesapeake.

Maybe if we can find some more VA buddies, we might be able to do a DOS.

Glad to have you, see you around the forum thumbs_up.gif

mischief1212 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 37

I live in Greenbrier! That is why I love this place you never know who is close to you!

stephanie214 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 37

Oh my gosh, my sister lives on Dominion Road.

mischief1212 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 37

How cool is that she is less than 5 min from me! I live right near the mall! icon_lol.gif

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:39pm
post #9 of 37

I live on Ft. Monroe (right across the 64 bridge)... I could do something for May possibly - depending on the date - i have a wedding to go in May as well. PM me if you are interested

stephanie214 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:45pm
post #10 of 37

cakecre8tor,

As long as you have been on here and I never knew that you were in VA also.

Wouldn't it be crazy if we got together and helped Aine with her cake icon_lol.gif

stephanie214 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief1212

How cool is that she is less than 5 min from me! I live right near the mall! icon_lol.gif

Have you been to Wine and Cake supply store on Tidewater Drive South?

When I come over, I go there everytime...they are awesome.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 5:51pm
post #12 of 37

This is definitely the coolest place .... I wish I could joing the baking party but I'm in Florida icon_sad.gif .... have fun and post pictures!!!

mischief1212 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 6:33pm
post #13 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief1212

Have you been to Wine and Cake supply store on Tidewater Drive South?

When I come over, I go there everytime...they are awesome.

I LOVE THAT STORE! I could live there!LOL

Aine Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 7:43pm
post #14 of 37

I didn't realize I'd get such a wonderful response nor help you guys find out how close you all are to each other in a sense. Its the whole 6 degrees thing icon_smile.gif
My wedding is on May 6th at 3pm and the reception is shortly after in the same church. I haven't been to the Wine and Cake Supply store- I never heard about it til I joined this board. I might have to check it out this coming week. I like to take the man with me so he gets a say on things and he's silly and it would be fun to go somewhere new together icon_smile.gif
Thank you for all the wonderful response!
Aine

stephanie214 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 7:52pm
post #15 of 37

Aine,

That's my oldest son's birthday icon_surprised.gif

mischief,

I can't wait for next Friday, I get so excited when I know that I'm going to go there icon_lol.gif

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 7:53pm
post #16 of 37

DANG I have to be at a wedding in ohio that weekend!!!!!!!!!! That bums me right out icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Stephanie and Mischief you guys are going to have to do this!!! I took classes at the wine and cake store!!! I was just there yesterday - I LOVE THAT PLACE!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I love all the cookie cutters she has there too - it is only about 10 minutes from my house!!!! It would be fun to all take one of her candy or cake classes together - I want to do the gumpaste one!

It is so fun to know that there are fellow addicts right around the corner!!

icon_smile.gif Sarah

Aine Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 8:10pm
post #17 of 37

Stephanie how old is your son going to be? How many kids do you have? My FH and I have 4 between us 3 boys from his previous marriage and 1 little girl between us icon_eek.gif Its our portable circus!!!
We were going to have a summer wedding but his middle son is going out of state to be with his mother for the summer and we didn't want to exclude him. So we are doing it in May. Maybe I will take classes in the fall with all the wedding stuff and his son going out of state I will have too much to do for a long while. We don't have to pay for the tickets for him to fly but we do have to pay for all the "stuff" you need to travel- entertainment and luggage and snacks and stuff. I greatly appreciate all of you coming on here and offering to help even if you can't due to other things its REALLY amazing how wonderful all of you are!!! *group hug*
Aine

stephanie214 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 8:26pm
post #18 of 37

Aine,

He will be 26 and I can't get rid of him, Guess I need to change my locks icon_lol.gif

My other son is 20, will turn 21 in Sept.

Gosh, I'm giving my age icon_cry.gif .

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 8:34pm
post #19 of 37

I would love to do your cake but I'm in Durham, NC, several hours away!! I did my daughter's wedding cake. . .very simple and everyone loved it!
We had too much cake for the 50 people at the wedding. Most of it went to my son-in-law's work. I'll try to attach a picture if I can figure out how to do so.

ps I tried to attach a picture but it was too big!
Leslie

stephanie214 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 8:48pm
post #20 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecre8tor

DANG I have to be at a wedding in ohio that weekend!!!!!!!!!! That bums me right out icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Stephanie and Mischief you guys are going to have to do this!!! I took classes at the wine and cake store!!! I was just there yesterday - I LOVE THAT PLACE!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif I love all the cookie cutters she has there too - it is only about 10 minutes from my house!!!! It would be fun to all take one of her candy or cake classes together - I want to do the gumpaste one!

It is so fun to know that there are fellow addicts right around the corner!!

icon_smile.gif Sarah

I know and I've never seen so many chocolate molds. Have you checked out the crimpers.

Wow, that would be fun because I would love to do a gum paste class.

Just think, we three could have been in there at the same time and not know it...sounds weird icon_lol.gif

Maybe we can get together and go shopping there one day.

Have you tried the CK gumpaste and royal icing...they are good.

Mystic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mystic Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 9:01pm
post #21 of 37

Hi Anie
You may be in luck I am in Newport News. I already pm you befor I seen this thread, I was responding to the other one you had.

And Hey to all of the virginians lol. WOW I am excited to have so many we have to get a class or support group going lol (but they seriuosly have cake decorationg groups) I would love that because I have lots of questions (HINT what totoruals?-forum)

But anyway you guys must tell me about this store you can pm me if you want or post here. I think I've been there 4 years ago when I was getting married but not sure if I was or not but I know I don't remember how to get there so if you can help a fellow cake decorator out it would be greatly appriciated. lol icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

stephanie214 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 9:10pm
post #22 of 37

Hi Mystic,

Welcome to the Virginian group.

I have a nephew in Hampton, one in VA Beach, a neice in VA Beach and a sister in Chesapeake.

The store is on 64 West; Tidewater Drive South, go under two lights and bare to the right, (don't go onto the ramp), their building is setting length ways.

Maybe we can do a DOS icon_wink.gif

Mystic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mystic Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 9:22pm
post #23 of 37

wow Stephanie214 your family is spread out in va.lol I have notice you was in va but I didn't location.

And Yes we will have to get the DOS started icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for the directions thumbs_up.gif

Aine Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 9:38pm
post #24 of 37

I got your msg Mystic- I need to talk to my FH about all this info and also see what you guys can do in the way of if you have that day availible. I know some of you have other engagements to attend and thats wonderful! I am just glad to be a part of this wonderful network so I can learn/share and mingle. What should my next step be in regards to this cake of mystery? Some of you said you could help- and I am eternally grateful but now I am unsure as to what I should do now lol. Should I post a pic of what my ideal cake should look like and see what happens?
Aine

stephanie214 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 9:47pm
post #25 of 37

That's a good idea...please post.

Since this is your first wedding cake, why not do a tiered cake with the push in pillars and you won't have to worry about dowling and such.

stephanie214 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 9:55pm
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic

wow Stephanie214 your family is spread out in va.lol I have notice you was in va but I didn't location.

And Yes we will have to get the DOS started icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for the directions thumbs_up.gif

Never knew that you lived in VA.

Yep, they are spread out and they always joke me about doing the Thrift Stores, Goodwills and Salvation Armies when I come over.

I'm sure you know that there is nothing here on the shore so I have to wait until I come over on your side...boy, I have a good time.

My soon to be neice-in-law won't go to the cake supply store with me; she claims that I stay in there to long icon_lol.gif

Wow, I can't wait til next Friday icon_wink.gif

Aine Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 9:57pm
post #27 of 37

I been thinking ivory with a deep red or dark wine red. My FH is basing all colors around my dress cuz he says its what we should do. So heres my gown for ideas... the floating tier sounds neet but isn't that hard to carry around in your car? I know nothing about toting cakes for all I know theres a magic portal that summons all gorgeous and mystical cakes to the destination lol
[/img]http://www.davidsprom.com/images/dresses/full/D01182.jpg[/img] (alt+p)
I hope that image posted... if not heres the link
http://www.davidsprom.com/images/dresses/full/D01182.jpg
The dress is ivory tho it doesnt look it in the photo. I have looked at so many cakes I just can't think of any right now. But I do like the idea of flowers either icing or real or any other version on them, but I am up for any other ideas. We might have a non traditional cake topper if we can locate the particular one we want which is the wedding day Pocket Dragons. But the cake can be a wedding cake in all its glory doesn't have to be dragon related cuz thats the groom cakes job icon_smile.gif
I hope this helps. If you can help me plz pm with prices and any other info. 50 people is what I am counting on at the wedding- well I sent out 38 invitations but they might bring a friend or they might want more then 1 peice...
Aine

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 10:04pm
post #28 of 37

Wow! What a pretty dress!! Cake ideas abound!! Excuse me for jumping in, but I had to share the first impression when I saw the dress: how about some brush embroidery on fondant to match the color? It could be very elegant as long as it wasn't overdone.

Just my .02

Best of luck to you -- you must be very excited!!

stephanie214 Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 10:08pm
post #29 of 37

You would put it together at the place.

You just sit the top cake on top of the plate with the pillars and push it in. The stacking is more involved using the dowels and such.

I love the colors and you can purchase the artifical flowers or make your own.

Also, you can purchase a couple of roses from the florist or Walmart and just use the petal on the cake.

If you want a stacked cake, still use the rose petals and add some ribbons or beads around the borders.

Still thinking thumbs_up.gif

Aine Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 10:09pm
post #30 of 37

That sounds very pretty and elegant. But whats Fondant? I kinda know what gumpaste is from posts I have read but I haven't quite gotten the idea of what Fondant is. Thank you for the compliment on the gown. when I saw it I actually jumped up and down LOL. I am such a goof ball. Thanks for the 2 pennies I needed those icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
Aine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%