I Went To A Wedding Yesterday...

Decorating By ashley87 Updated 29 Mar 2007 , 4:30pm by liv6

ashley87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashley87 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 76

I was just wondering how many people go to a wedding and look at the cake and think, "I really could have done a much better job!", or critique all the details and problems with the cake. I couldnt help myself but thinking about what I could have done better and how much better it could have tasted..oh well..

75 replies
gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:04pm
post #2 of 76

I know that more often than not that the cake at weddings may look nice but I have never had one that tasted like anything special. Really, not even good. I do have to say that I went to a wedding recently and I found myself saying "I could have done that!"

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 76

Honey we all do that! It's in our blood! icon_wink.gif

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 76

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I wasn't able to make the cake for my sisters' wedding and was very disappointed. At her wedding, I did the same thing. My first thought was that the overall design wasn't anything like what she had wanted (a friend of our mother's made it). My second thought was, I could have done it better. (may have been wishful thinking on my part though icon_wink.gif ) I promised her an anniversary cake though. So we'll see how I do then. icon_biggrin.gif

Granpam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Granpam Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:07pm
post #5 of 76

Guilty. The first time I did it was at my niece's wedding in Illinois. The cakes weren't even smooth.
At my nephew's in Illinois My sister did the main cake for bridal table and imediate family and I had to rescue her in the set up. But what thought was tacky was that the sattelite cakes one for each table came from the Hy-Vee grocery store. It was a cute concept each cake had a different opicture of the couple as their relationship blossomed. The cake tasted nasty.

kayanjay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayanjay Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 76

I agree most cakes are prettier than they taste. The best tasting cake I had was at my son's wedding, the icing was apricot flavored, it was really good. The lady that made it lives in a very small town. people from all over use her and now I can see why. thumbs_up.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 76

I'm the minority, then. icon_smile.gif I haven't been to a wedding where I haven't been impressed with the cake.

Angie

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley87

I was just wondering how many people go to a wedding and look at the cake and think, "I really could have done a much better job!", or critique all the details and problems with the cake. I couldnt help myself but thinking about what I could have done better and how much better it could have tasted..oh well..

Ha Ha, I have had my daughter call on her cell phone from a wedding she was attending to tell me about the cake. "Mom, they paid a fortune and it's nowhere near as nice as yours!" icon_lol.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 76

I have never been to a wedding where the cake was nice nor where it was delicious. Not even good. The last wedding I went to, the cake was gross, even. It was repulsive. Sad, I know and I felt sorry for the person who made it. "The person" was in attendance.

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 76

Although I haven't been to too many wedding lately, every one that my kids go to I ask details about the cake...the first thing..not even the brides gown..just the cake... icon_lol.gif

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:38pm
post #11 of 76

At the last wedding I attended the cake was so carelessly finished that I felt mad that this person got a paying contract.
So disrespectful to the client to show all those bad finishes, and to put so little roses for a cascading flower cake...No one even payed attention to the cake, nobody said anything nice about it, So I guess at the end it was her loss. It was the first wedding I was attending in the US and I had hight expectations, But it didn't came close.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 76

I have never done a wedding cake, but I still go and critique the work. Some day I will do a wedding cake and hope it will be the best!

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:43pm
post #13 of 76

So why do you think our friends and relatives don't ask us to make their wedding cake? They invite us to the wedding but don't ask us to make their cake. what's up with that?

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 76

Well, I haven't reached that level of cake decorating yet..doing a wedding cake..but I do critique the taste, usually thinking I could have made a tastier cake. The last wedding I went to I thought it was a bit dry.

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerfreak

So why do you think our friends and relatives don't ask us to make their wedding cake? They invite us to the wedding but don't ask us to make their cake. what's up with that?

To be honest, I've wondered that myself. So many contracts go to inexperienced friends of the bride's mother's cousin's aunt's third husband twice removed (or some such thing) and this is their SPECIAL DAY! I've heard many say "their gift to us is the cake" -- geez, you'd think they'd be better off footing the bill for a more professional cake. But it happens all the time... Go figure! icon_rolleyes.gif

cakes-r-us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes-r-us Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 12:10am
post #16 of 76

Maybe this is the preconceived notions that most brides have-that a cake will be nasty-and don't want to pay big bucks for one.

bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 12:17am
post #17 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes-r-us

Maybe this is the preconceived notions that most brides have-that a cake will be nasty-and don't want to pay big bucks for one.

Maybe, but don't they go to the tastings? Or don't they get one if the family friend is making it...icon_confused.gif

nglez09 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 12:22am
post #18 of 76

I don't know why the cakes are so nasty. Like Cindy said: don't they go to tastings?? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 1:48am
post #19 of 76

I have a photograher friend and I was telling him how disappointed I was in some photographer's website .... when they post all the pics from a wedding (so family can view them and order their own copies) but there are rarely any good pics of the cake. So now he makes sure he takes a number of photos of the cake ".... just for Debi!"

My family is embarrassed in how I have my nose right up in the cake to critique it! Went to one recently in which I took a small bite and began looking for a place to spit it. What made this really sad is this bride spent a FORTUNE on the wedding and went to the "top" bakery in town.

But I think I can top you all ..... I used to work for a casket manufacturing company. You should see me at funerals! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 2:58am
post #20 of 76

I also scrutinize the cake at every wedding I go to! More often than not, I'm not impressed ... hope that doesn't sound snobby!! icon_lol.gif I can't remember the last time I was at a wedding where the cake actually tasted really good! Well, actually I can remember ... it was my wedding, almost 6 years ago! My mom (who also has a cake business and taught me everything I know!) made my wedding cake and we had a "cake buffet" (10-15 different types of cake). I've never seen plates so piled high with cake!! icon_lol.gif

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:21am
post #21 of 76

The last wedding I went to was about a year and a half ago and it was the first since I started decorating. It was my best friend's wedding and so I was the matron of honor. She didn't ask me to do the cake because I had enough stuff to do as the matron of honor (and I was glad to since I had a 6 month baby also that I was breast feeding). Anyway, the cake came with the package deal from the caterer.

I wasn't a really experienced decorator yet but I looked at that cake and was like...I could do better than that! The tiers weren't the same height. The frosting wasn't smoothed well. The roses kept falling off the cake. It wasn't the worst cake in the world or anything...looked good from a distance icon_lol.gif

Then when I had a slice, it must have been from under where it was stacked because there were coconut flakes. ewww I hate coconut. I've heard that alot of people use coconut flakes between stacked tiers so the frosting won't stick to the board above but I think that powdered sugar is a better option because there are those who hate coconut and maybe even those who are allergic. I was the one who ordered the cake for the wedding (one of my duties) so I know that the inclusion of coconut was not discussed.

Other than that, I haven't been to any weddings for a while to witness the cake and critique icon_rolleyes.gif

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:31am
post #22 of 76

I always critique the cake and when my DD go to weddings i grill them about the cake and ask, "did you take a picture of the cake?" They think I've lost my mind. The last wedding I went to the cake didn't impress me in looks or taste (another frinend of the family made it) and I remember people talking more about the cookies I made as wedding favors for this wedding then the cake!!! I secretly had a smug feeling of satisfaction over that!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:46am
post #23 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

.....Then when I had a slice, it must have been from under where it was stacked because there were coconut flakes. ewww I hate coconut....

Ewwww! Me too!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:54am
post #24 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

But I think I can top you all ..... I used to work for a casket manufacturing company. You should see me at funerals! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
FUNNY DEBI!!!!!!!!

DelightsByE Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:56am
post #25 of 76

You know what though - after reading all these, I wonder if anyone has gone to a wedding where >I< have done the cake, and thought any or all those things we've thought about other cakes. Hmmm.

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:59am
post #26 of 76

I just attended a wedding a couple of weeks ago, and I made a beeline to check out the cake (something I never did until I just became interested in decorating).

The cake was a 3-tiered chocolate BC covered cake with cascading flowers. Apparently a friend of the family did it and told the bride she never did flowers like that. But, I thought she did a pretty good job.

Now, I am new to this, so I can't really say I could have done better as far as the decorations, but in the taste department, I could have done way better!! The cake had a very bland chocolate taste and it was dry. If there is one thing about my cakes, they are super moist!

I did take a photo of the cake, but not sure if I can post it here or not since I didn't do it.

Lisa

nglez09 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:05am
post #27 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:09am
post #28 of 76

I was not impressed with my wedding cake at all. The flavor was not good at all. I have had a freind come back from weddings saying that I could have done a better job.

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:12am
post #29 of 76

How coincidental. I went to one last Saturday and it was for a friend of my husbands. Well, I wasnt' asked and I usually do most of the cakes for my husbands co-workers. I wasn't offended, though and attended the wedding anyway.

Well, at the wedding, I found out that my husband's ex was there and she was a friend of the bride. That might be why I wasn't asked.

Anyhow, the cake was a grocery store cake and it was really bad to look at. I drug my husband to the reception hall just to look at it, knowing we were not staying and eating.

On my way out, I saw the bride greeting the guests, and swear yall,

SHE HAD ON A HALTER TOP DRESS AND DID NOT SHAVE HER ARMPITS.

The ugly cake was nothing compared to that. I was dumbfounded. I mean, it's 2007 and I didn't know women were still walking around with what looks like a private part under their arms. Who knew??

DelightsByE Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:17am
post #30 of 76

STOP IT YOU GUYS - YOU MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD I WOKE UP MY DH!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%