Heating Core

Decorating By Tweedy Updated 10 Mar 2006 , 2:58am by Tweedy

Tweedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedy Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:52am
post #1 of 11

I've never used a heating core before. Tonight was my first time as I made a 12" round cake. The heating core I have is the wilton brand and my question is since it leaves a hole in your cake, like an angel food, do you put the cake core back in the cake with icing or without?

10 replies
cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:04am
post #2 of 11

When you use the heating core spray the inside and fill it half with some cake mix. After its baked remove the cake out of the core and put it in the hole in the cake.

cakesondemand Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:08am
post #3 of 11

Bump.. don't need to put icing it just blends in. You will never know there was a hole there when its cut.

Tweedy Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 11

I have also heard people on here say that they use their flower nail instead of the heating core, haven't tried it myself but I intend to........they say you just stick it upside down with the pointy side up and then pour your cake mix in the pan when it's done baking and you remove your cake from the pan you just pull the flower nail out and there is a very tiny hole in the cake and supposedly it works just as well as the heating core.

cakesondemand Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 11

Yes the flower nail works also I have done it both ways.

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 11

I use the flower nail. Just be sure to either grease/flour it or spray it with cake release or whatever you use on the pan. thumbs_up.gif

peachstate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachstate Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 11

I also use the flower nail. Didnt like the heating core too much. Now it just sits in the closet cloecting dust.

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 1:34am
post #9 of 11

I agree the flower nail is a way simpler and more effective way to go. I use one in any cake over 9 in., sometimes I use more than one, like when I am making sheet cakes. The hole it leaves is so tiny that icing covers it no problem,and yet it works very effectively.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 1:39am
post #10 of 11

Will definitely try the flower nail next time. Thanks for the hint! I learn and learn on CC.

Diane

Tweedy Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 2:58am
post #11 of 11

Thanks!! I'll give the flower nail a try next time. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%