Wilton Classes

Decorating By karebere Updated 10 Mar 2006 , 7:36pm by karebere

karebere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karebere Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone know if there is a way I can take Wilton courses 2 & 3 without actually going to a craft store to take one? I finished course 1 the end of February and had signed up to take couse 3 (they only teach 2 & 3 every other month) and had planned to take course 2 in April. Well the manager of our Village Crafts by Michael's called me last week on the night of my first class and told me that it had been cancelled for reasons he was not at liberty to discuss icon_sad.gif . I asked him when they would be offering them again and he told me that they woldn't be icon_cry.gif . Well I wasn't out anything because the class was free if you bought the couse 3 kit. I figure I will end up using the course 3 stuff cuz if I can't find a class near me, which I am afraid will be the case, then I plan on just trying to teach myself. I am really disappointed but I did talk the manager into giving me the course 3 book since I had been technically signed up for it and he threw in the book for course 2 as well icon_smile.gif . I am the type that really learns better by hands on and I would prefer to have an instructor. My main concern is that I would like to be able to have the official completion certificates for courses 2 & 3. Will this make a difference if I decide to start my own business? Sorry this is so long but I really want to know if there is any other way to "officially" complete course 2 & 3?! icon_smile.gif

12 replies
klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 13

Do you have a Hobby Lobby, AC Moore or JoAnn's in your area? Most of those offer Wilton classes as well.

nicfam6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicfam6 Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 13

I am sorry to hear that those classes wont be offered they are so much fun. As previously mentioned, if you have a JoAnns store near by I think they actually sell the course 1, 2, 3 instruction books. Hope this helps.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 13

Hi Karebere,
I personnally don't think that the Wilton Course makes a difference for opening a store. Now if you were to take Wilton's Master Class in IL, that would probably have more merit. (you know what I mean? it's like a non-credit class with just a certificate) Some people that took the classes with me did not even show up a got a certificate. That was not very fair to me or the others who attended--but.... My instructor is from Pocatello--I'll zip her a email and see if she has any connections down there. Who knows? As far as finishing the last two courses, you might network with a bakery or a cake store to see if they offer anything. I might be more spendy but it is a thought. Good luck!

karebere Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 13

Thanks Onebigdogmama,
Is your instructors name Becky Peterson? She is the one that taught the 2 & 3 courses for Village Crafts and she told me that Wilton will not allow her to come to my home or for me go to her home. I understand this since she does not know me from Adam. I have tried this avenue but if your old instructor says she can do this then I would be up for it in a heartbeat! I wish I could go to IL to take that class, WOW that would be great.
Thanks again
Karrie

onebigdogmama Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 10:56pm
post #6 of 13

No that is not her. I should have said that she now lives up here in Coeur d'Alene. But she might know of someone down there. She works PT now a Michael's as the event coordinator so her time now is tight cause she also teaches the Wilton classes. I just sent her a email so we'll see what happens. Again, try networking with a cake supply store or bakery.
I'll let you know what she says.

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 13

onebigdogmama and karebere -

Just wanted to say hi from one Idahonian to another. I'm originally from Moscow (moved to CO about 7 years ago) and miss those rolling hills on the Palouse and those fabulous lakes (Coeur d'Alene!!!!)

onebigdogmama Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 13

It is still a nice place to visit and live. If you have not been in the area for a while and come back it will be a shock. GROWING! But get a few miles out of town and you go back in time. I have not been in Moscow in a few months--the drive of 95 or 195 depending on the way you go LOL . My son was going to the U of I and ran out of money and now is back at home. OH WELL starving student. LOL! It is snowing here now and we are suppose to be getting some wind later tonight. Heard CO is beautiful too! Hope to visit one of these days.

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 13

We are actually thinking of flying up to visit this summer over the 4th of July (we've only gone back during the winter months and I'd really like my hubby to see the area in the nicer weather). Good ol' U of I.... my alma mater! hehehe - it's a good school! What is he studying? CO is beautiful. The weather is fantastic - we had 70 degree weather last week on the plains (boulder area which is where I am) but drive less than an hour drive and you're in the mountains with record snowfall!

brinarae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brinarae Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 13

What about talking with your instructor for the name of another individual who took those classes, that might be willing to tutor you? If she can't give you a name or number, she should have them, and hopefully be willing to call one or two people and ask them if they would help you out. If I lived closer, I would do it for you! Anything to help others in their passion for the craft!

karebere Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 12:02am
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone for your support. I am not a native Idahoan but I consider myself one now. I was born and raised in Murray Utah (Salt Lake City Area) and love to go home to visit but hate the traffic! Colorado is a beautiful place too! I have Family that live in Montrose and I love that area. I do love my little Pocatello though. I only have to travel about 20 minutes and I am in the beautiful mountains camping (my other hobby:O)!) Anyway, I heard that Wilton offers a few classes on DVD not the particular ones I am looking for but who knows. I do have a Joann's in town and a Crafts & Frames. Neither of them were offering the classes last time I checked but that was a few months ago. I will check back. Thnaks for all your suggestions! PS Brinarae, my sister lives in the Taylorsville area and may be interested in some tutoring if you are willing. She has been doing most of the family's cakes for the last year but she is really short on $ so I know she would welcome any help. I love this site! You are all the greatest!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 3:33am
post #12 of 13

Wilton Instructors are not allowed to teach classes outside of a store. icon_sad.gif

Have you tried the Wilton website? There is a section where you can search for classes by your zip code for up to 50 miles I think. Maybe that will give you another place in the area that teaches the classes.

karebere Posted 10 Mar 2006 , 7:36pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks a ton! I have tried the Wilton site but the closest location it shows me is about an hour away. I could do this if I did not have to pay for daycare for my 15month old and almost 5 year old. It is a two hour class and an hour drive each way. If I had a sitter in the city where the class is offered I might be able ot swing it but I am one who hates to put my kids in daycare/sitter any more than necessary. Right now even though I may be pursuing this as acutal income it is more of a hobby and that really isn't fair to them icon_smile.gif Maybe this sounds stupid but I just can't justify it in my own mind. icon_smile.gificon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%