How To Pipe Tulips?

Decorating By Jopalis Updated 15 Dec 2008 , 3:50am by Melvira

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 30

Does anyone know how to pipe tulips...what tip, etc.? Also, is there a small leaf tip? Thank you!

29 replies
Nadya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadya Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 30

I don't know about tulips but was wondering the same. The smallest leaf tip I 've got is 65. I'm not sure if there is even smaller one.

Nadya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadya Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 30

Just checked on the web, it seems the smallest leaf tip out there is 65s.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 30
ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 30

I would trace them on the cake, outline with a #2 tip and either fill in with buttercream and smooth with an artists paintbrush dipped in hot water. Or outline them with royal and flood them with thinned royal directly on the cake or on parchment paper, let dry completely and then set them on the cake, you can pipe a little round of buttercream to prop them up at angles.

tincanbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tincanbaby Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 30

You could make them from gumpaste

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 30

If you want to pipe tulips it's actually very easy: Use any shell tip and pipe an upside down shell (pointy part up), with a curved shell on each side (fat sides down on each petal.) There's a picture of this in the Wilton Way of Cake Decorating Encyclopedia #3 ("the uses of tubes") on page 210. They also pipe daylilies, geraniums, bearded iris and other flowers using this same method. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 30

I'm very interested in piping tulips - I saw some at a bakery in CT that were amazing! I'll see if I can find the link.

ETA: Here's the link:

http://www.jacquespastries.com/alloccasion59tm.htm

It's from Jacques Pastries, but it's in NH, not CT.

Also, if you can't find a leaf tip as small as you want, you can cut a small v in your parchment bag to make your own.

Christy

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

If you want to pipe tulips it's actually very easy: Use any shell tip and pipe an upside down shell (pointy part up), with a curved shell on each side (fat sides down on each petal.) There's a picture of this in the Wilton Way of Cake Decorating Encyclopedia #3 ("the uses of tubes") on page 210. They also pipe daylilies, geraniums, bearded iris and other flowers using this same method. Hope that helps some! icon_biggrin.gif

Where would I find these books? I would love to have that info!

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:27pm
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraya

Quote:

Mostly Ebay, that's where I found mine (for a MINT I might add!!) Here's a link to another thread where someone else was wondering about them and I went ahead and did a brief writeup on all three books (it was lengthy so I don't want to repost it here.) It's on page 2 of this thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=178151&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 30
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoraya

Quote:

Mostly Ebay, that's where I found mine (for a MINT I might add!!) Here's a link to another thread where someone else was wondering about them and I went ahead and did a brief writeup on all three books (it was lengthy so I don't want to repost it here.) It's on page 2 of this thread: http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=178151&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

Wow! Those sound great! Now I'm on a mission.... thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:35pm
post #12 of 30

There's another cake book which is also out of print called "the Cupcake Cafe Cookbook" and it's by Ann Warren of the cupcake cafe in NYC. Check out her website, she does some AMAZING work!! Anyway, she has another way of piping tulips outlined in her book, but it's quite lengthy actually so I'm not going to post it here (unless the masses demand it...icon_wink.gif) Hope that helps some! icon_lol.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:06am
post #13 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by CranberryClo

I'm very interested in piping tulips - I saw some at a bakery in CT that were amazing! I'll see if I can find the link.

ETA: Here's the link:

http://www.jacquespastries.com/alloccasion59tm.htm

It's from Jacques Pastries, but it's in NH, not CT.

Also, if you can't find a leaf tip as small as you want, you can cut a small v in your parchment bag to make your own.

Christy

Ohhhh ... that tulip cake is GORGEOUS!!! I would love to know how they made those tulips!!! I am in awe!!!!!

cakesbyjess Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:20am
post #14 of 30

Well, I just sent an email to Jacques Pastries to ask if they'd be willing to share their technique for the tulips. I'm SO hoping they will! If they do, I'll be sure to post it here! To be continued .... icon_smile.gif

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 11:05am
post #15 of 30

I emailed Jacques Pastries once just to tell them how much I loved so many of their cakes and someone wrote back within 24 hours. They are very kind, so hopefully they'll write back!

Christy

Jopalis Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 30

You are all so fabulous. Great ideas! I'm going to try wonderbuns technique.... If I can't do that...I will try Shirley's suggestion. Would love to know about the Jacques cake too! Thanks for info re leaf tip too. I guess you could make a tulip using leaf tip too.... layering them sort of....
Thank you all for your replies...

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:39pm
post #17 of 30

I am really hoping you hear from Jaques pasteries soon on the tulips they are beautiful I have a wedding comming up and the bride wants tulips.

Jopalis Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:49pm
post #18 of 30

I don't know if you would want to do them like I did. They are on my Easter cake in the gallery. I put a good size dab of RI on the rose nail and then used the poinsettia leaf tip to pipe the petals. I striped the bag....

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 7:55pm
post #19 of 30

Wow icon_eek.gif

I just browsed Jacques' website, and I must say...wow...

I love, LOVE their wedding cakes!

Beautiful!

cakesbyjess Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 9:52pm
post #20 of 30

Guys ... I'm so sorry! I did hear back from Jacques, but I forgot to post here!! icon_redface.gif The response was a little brief, but here it is: "We use a curved rose tip to make the tulips and over lap the petals. Hope this helps."

I know what tip this is. I don't know the number, but I know that I have it.

So anyway, I hope this helps, and I'm sorry again for not responding sooner!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:39am
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

Guys ... I'm so sorry! I did hear back from Jacques, but I forgot to post here!! icon_redface.gif The response was a little brief, but here it is: "We use a curved rose tip to make the tulips and over lap the petals. Hope this helps."

Is it the #97 tip? Looks like an S?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:51am
post #22 of 30

I bet you could do a similar tulip with the 352 leaf tip. You could just pat it down on the bottom if the center stem ridge was too tall. Now I'm going to have to try it!! That 'Jacques' cake is gorgeous!

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:32am
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Quote:

cakesbyjess wrote:
Guys ... I'm so sorry! I did hear back from Jacques, but I forgot to post here!! The response was a little brief, but here it is: "We use a curved rose tip to make the tulips and over lap the petals. Hope this helps."

Thanks for the post it helps !!! icon_smile.gif

Jopalis Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:55am
post #24 of 30

Melvira, that's what I did.... Put a dab of icing on my nail head so the tulips wouldn't be flat then used the large leaf/poinsettia tip ... I used it on my Easter pic and got lots of compliments.

cakesbyjess Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:17pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

Is it the #97 tip? Looks like an S?

I'm not sure if that's the one. I'm out of town right now, so I can't check my tips. I just searched online, and I'm thinking it might be #121 or 123.

pammelasue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pammelasue Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:34pm
post #26 of 30

Jopalis, that Easter basket cake is too cute and I think the tulips look great! Glad that worked for ya, I may have to try that now...especially since the snow is 'finally' starting to melt here in Western NY!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:09pm
post #27 of 30

You know, for some reason Jacque took those pix off his site. Anyone know why?

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:49pm
post #28 of 30

It's too bad that this cake was removed icon_confused.gif I wonder why.
I was very interested in piping tulips, and this is my the result using a tip 101; I have since done another cake using a tip 104, and as you'd expect the tulips are larger...I was pretty pleased with the look.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1276010.html

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Dec 2008 , 12:58am
post #29 of 30

Wow I can't believe I found a copy of Jacques tulip cake. Here it is:
LL

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 15 Dec 2008 , 3:50am
post #30 of 30

Oh man, that's stinkin' gorgeous!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%