Natural Coloring For Icing

Decorating By michelehand Updated 8 Mar 2006 , 12:07am by lemoncurd

michelehand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michelehand Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 7

I have a client who will not let her child eat anything with red, blue, or purple dye in it. She would like me to do a birthday cake for her. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to naturally color icing?

6 replies
laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 7

I was just at a website yesterday that offered colorings made from fruits and vegetables. I believe they are called India Ink colors, or something like that. Let me take a look in my history and see if I can find it for you.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 7

Maybe use concentrated juices? Cherry, strawberry, orange, lemon, etc. Or a puree of fruit. HHHMMM note to self, will have to try this. icon_rolleyes.gif

AND WELCOME TO CC! birthday.gif

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 7

Found it!!! India tree colors available through Foose Cutters...

Here is the link, hope it helps!!

http://www.foosecookiecutters.com/store/bakingsupplies.html

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 7

I don't know where you live, but whole foods caries natural paste colors. I've never tried them though. Here they are:
http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/natural-vegan-food-coloring.htm
HTH!

~Kelsie

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 12:06am
post #6 of 7

I have used the colors in the URL posted by waterfallssoygul. Whole Foods almost always has them and you can get them online either from the link waterfallsoygurl gave or from the manufacturer, Dancing Deer Baking Company at:

http://www.dancingdeer.com

They are very liquid and if you use too much you get a grassy/spinachy taste from the green, a nasturtiumy taste from the orange, etc. The colors are also not too bright, so you need to take that into account when designing your cake. You can get an idea if you look at my cake called "Aufruf Basket" in the Gallery. The photo says "Murray's Candy Basket" and it is cuarrently the third cake in the third row from the top in my gallery. I colored fondnat with the colors and wrapped it around tiny "Cake balls" to make the "candies".

I may try the India Ink colors that laneysmom posted about, but the link also says they are liquid so I suspect they will not really be jewel colors. I would be interested in hearing if anyone here has used them.

I'm not saying these colors are not a good thing. I use them whenever I can get away without the artificial colors. I'm just saying you need to know you won't get the same effects.

Amoretti in Calfiornia makes some natural colors which may be stronger. They are very expensive and you have to buy fairly large amounts so I havne't tried them. They sent me a huge box of samples of things, but colors were not included. (Colors were what I was asking about, sigh...) One of these days I'll have to call them again, but their color choices were pretty limited, so not today.

Shalom,
itsacake!

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 12:07am
post #7 of 7

You could do white, chocolate, and mix some frozen strawberry puree into another to make pink. Or just do the pink! princess.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%