Base For Wedding Cake

Decorating By potatocakes Updated 7 Mar 2006 , 11:35pm by hamie

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 7

My first wedding cake is due March 19th, and I've got a question about what to use as a base. Basically the bride is getting this for just a tad bit over cost, and has left a lot of the details up to me. I don't want to spend a fortune on a base, but of course I've got to get something! The bottom layer of this will be a 16 in round, with a 14 in stacked, then pillars, then 10 in and 8 in stacked. So it will be really heavy. What would be a good base to use? I was thinking of getting lucite (I think that's what it's called) cut, but someone said Lowe's or Home Depot can only cut squares, not round. Would that look okay? What dimensions should it be? Any other suggestions? Thanks! I'm getting really nervous about all this!

Tracy

6 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 7

I don't see what would be wrong with a square base. Anyhow, aren't you assembling the whole thing at the hall? You should only be carrying one piece at a time. Do you think you need a special base at all? I have only done two wedding cakes, and I just assembled them right on the table at the hall. The only "base" was a cardboard circle covered in freezer paper which the bottom tier sat on ... each tier sat on the same type set-up.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 7

You can use lucite or even plywood as long as it's covered. I use a lot of cake drums too. They're not too expensive and can even be made by stacking several cake circles and covering them together with paper.

Deb

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 7

I have ordered and used (love them!!!) some masonite boards from a cake website - sorry I can't remember which one. The cake that is in my gallery (50s style one) is on a square one. The cake is very heavy (15 cake mixes, 15 boxes of pudding, 60 eggs and a whole lot of chocolate!!!) and it held up very well. Just cover with foil paper.

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 7

Well, I was planning on stacking the bottom two cakes (16 and 14) and the top two (10 and 8 ) at home, transporting to the church, then setting up with the pillars once we were there. Do you think it would be wiser to transport all four separately and stack and assemble at the church? Like I said, I've never done this before, so please, feel free to give me all the advice you have!!! icon_smile.gif

rabiah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rabiah Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 7

Oh yes, carry them each seperate. Less chance for a disaster!

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 7

I use large tiles for my bases. You can get 18in at Home Depot or Lowes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%