Anyone Notice The "wilton Approved" Label On Dh Ca

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 24 Jun 2015 , 8:51pm by jigger_b

justfrosting Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 13

I noticed this the other day? Are they owed by the same company?

12 replies
jmt1714 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 13

Dh is owned by Pinnacle Foods (which in turn has a few different owners), though likely to be acquired soon by the Blackstone Group (and investment/advisory group). Wilton Enterprises (which makes the cake suff) is owned by Wilton Industries. No affiliate between DH and wilton that I can find, except whatever branding and marketing arrangements they may have.

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 13

I don't know when they collaborated, but if you open the box flat, you'll find info on how to make the cake more dense, as well as how many mixes will be necessary for certain sizes of Wilton pans. I rely on it all the time and find it to be very accurate.

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 13

This came up at the teacher's meeting last year when one of the teachers asked the Wilton powers that be which box mix they endorse. The answer: "We do not endorse any particular brand of box cake mix." Then it was brought up to them the Wilton Approved seal on DH boxes and that left them speechless. I'm still curious as to what their official stand is.

ihavasweet2th Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 13

I taught Wilton Cake decorating classes at least 14-15 years ago and we were instructed to say that Wilton recommends Duncan Hines cake mixes.

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 13

That's what my Wilton teacher said a long time ago in class, which is why last year at the teacher's meeting many of us left very confused over this point. Oh well. Live and learn! icon_biggrin.gif

nglez09 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 13

There has to be some sort of connection. They can't just put that on their boxes. . .hmm. . .interesting. icon_cool.gif

lapazlady Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 13

It's probably something like the "Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval", you buy the space from the company that you want your name on. It's all about money. Do you suppose anyone at Wilton really eats a DH cake? Who knows.

Daniellemhv Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 13

I personally use Betty Crocker. I tried Duncan Hines after so many people on here said they use it but I wasn't crazy about it so I went back to Betty Crocker. I did notice though when I used Duncan Hines that it said Wilton Approved. My instructor told us to use Betty Crocker and thats what I tell my students

jmt1714 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 13
Originally Posted by nglez09

There has to be some sort of connection. They can't just put that on their boxes. . .hmm. . .interesting. icon_cool.gif

Likely there is some sort of marketing arrangement - but Honestly I really can't find a common ownership unless is it very very buried.

Cakepro Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:40pm
post #11 of 13

Wilton likely purchased that little bit of ad space on the DH boxes, or DH bought the endorsement from Wilton. Either way, you can bet money is involved.

It's been there for many years.

I use DH exclusively. And for a random superfluous piece of information, my brother-in-law installed an entire "smart house" system in the DH house here in Houston last year. I think he said the house was like 33 THOUSAND square feet. icon_smile.gif

ValMommytoDanny Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 11:41pm
post #12 of 13

I just noticed that myself ~ probably had an arrangement for mutual cross promotion.

jigger_b Posted 24 Jun 2015 , 8:51pm
post #13 of 13

Hello - just came across this posting...I realize it's quite old.  I can provide the history of how this all came to be.

In the early 1980's, I started teaching for Wilton in San Diego.  My own Wilton instructor had recommended Duncan Hines (DH) and I had no issue with doing the same to my students.  My Mom had always used DH as well.

I supplemented our family income by making cakes for all occasions.  On one wedding cake (white cake), I had problem after problem with the cake mix and knew that it wasn't me.  I generally bought mixes by the case from a local Long's Drug store and the first few boxes out of the case all had issues.  I called the toll-free number on the DH box to talk about what seemed to be a bad case of cake mix I had purchased.

While talking with the rep, I mentioned how my Wilton teacher, as well as I now that I also teach, recommend to our students that DH is the better cake mix to use.  The rep was very intrigued by this and asked a few more questions.  Within a week, I received a small box of free DH cake mix coupons - there were 100 of them!  A few days later, I received a call from that same rep asking if I had received the package.  I was thrilled to not need to buy cake mixes for quite some time.

I have other information to support how this all came to be - I worked with Wilton for many years as a teacher and teacher coordinator in two of their markets.  Chalk it up to a chatty teacher and a DH rep who knew a good thing had been heard...the rest, as they say, is history.

Quote by @%username% on %date%