Gumpaste Frangipani Flowers

Decorating By Lenette Updated 9 Mar 2006 , 4:32am by swoboda

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 17

Has anyone made these? Are they difficult? I am needing these flowers for a cake. I really don't want to make them and I have never made anything from gp before so that may not be the best idea. Is there a source to buy them from?? If I can't buy them how do I make them? I do have a month to practice. Any input?

16 replies
sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 17

well sounds like you have enough time to practice. but I just tried to make some this past week and they didn't turn out well at all!!! i ended up doing ribbon roses instead. but I only had two days to practice and get them good enough to put on a cake....def. not enough time for my first time w/this flower. i'll try it again when I have more to play around w/them!!!

there are several places you can buy them from but maybe try to make them yourself first!! YOu could always order them if you weren't happy w/what you did.

christine

here is a website that sells gumpaste flowers: http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_sresults.html

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 17

pinkbunny, can you tell us what went wrong? I've seen two different ways of doing them. One is twisting the petals together and one drying the petals on a dowel rod then attaching them together. If you have any tips please share. icon_smile.gif I'm getting ready to give them a shot. Thanks!

bikegal

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 17

bikegal, I tried twisting the petals together. I just couldn't get the 'twist' to look right. I'm sure if I had more time to play around w/it I could have gotten it too work better.

lesisalwaysmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesisalwaysmore Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 12:09am
post #5 of 17

This was posted a few days ago. They have a lot!
http://www.discountsugarflowers.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=567
Good luck,
Leslie

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 12:19am
post #6 of 17

sugarcraft.com also sells flowers, and they are very nice. Unless you're planning to do a lot of these, I would buy them. That way too if you want to learn how to make them in the future, you have more of a starting point. It helps to see them up close.

They are such pretty flowers. I love these.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 12:34am
post #7 of 17

If you are going to buy them, buy early. Most companies can't guarantee arrival without breakage. Then you have time to buy more if there is a problem.

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 6:53am
post #8 of 17

We love making them. Here are a couple of our samples. If you like them and want to make them I am happy to give further info.
LL
LL
LL

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dky

We love making them. Here are a couple of our samples. If you like them and want to make them I am happy to give further info.

I would love to hear how you make these!

lesisalwaysmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesisalwaysmore Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 17

dky--your flowers are beautiful! I would also love the info!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 3:46pm
post #11 of 17

wilton makes a kit that pretty much comes with every tool you need to start making about 10-15 different types of flowers and a couple types of leaves....full step by step instructions, cutters, rolling pin, etc. all you need is the gumpaste mix....the kit is under $20 and the gumpaste mix you just mix with water....and makes a ton of flowers
<---------- these flowers on my avatar are the first ones I ever made to go in this flower pot cake....and they turned out waaaay better than I ever thought they would, not so bad when you have the directions in front of you....and it's so much fun to play around with, especially when you create something that actually looks like a flower...feels good ( i stilll can't make bc roses : (.....)

pe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pe Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 17

dky - I would also like instructions on how the flowers are made, they are beautifull.

missmelbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmelbox Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 17

DKY, I would like further info on making the flowers! They are soo beautiful!

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 6:54pm
post #14 of 17

I would like more information on gum paste as well...is it like working with Fondant, or more like Royal Icing. The flowers are beautiful, and definitely something I would love to try. Send more info please!!! thumbs_up.gif

dky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dky Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 8:39pm
post #15 of 17

Confession:

Hubby is the cake and flower maker!! icon_sad.gif

When he gets home I will drill him and post his handy tips for you!

Thanks for the compliments

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 17

DKY - beautiful flowers! I'd love to hear these 'secrets' icon_smile.gif

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:32am
post #17 of 17

Wow! Those are beautifyul flowers!! I would love to know how to make them too please!!
Do you have to make them out of gumpaste or can you make them out of fondant too?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%