Business By MomLittr Updated 4 Aug 2006 , 11:02pm by icingcommando

Cbaker03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cbaker03 Posted 19 May 2006 , 12:59am
post #91 of 118

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. [email protected]

somerset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
somerset Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:18am
post #92 of 118

Hi, I'm just getting into this business of making cakes for sale. I know for sure that I'm undercharging. I would like to have a copy of that list as well please. Can someone send it my way to [email protected]. I don't have the slightess idea of what to charge for my time let alone what to charge for special request for certain detail. Thanks in advance, I really would appreciate it.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:23am
post #93 of 118

Please count me in. Thank you for your kindness and help. thumbs_up.gif
[email protected]

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:31am
post #94 of 118

I have the same pricing problems. Would you send it my way too please? [email protected]. Thank you so much!

TabathaRubio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TabathaRubio Posted 19 May 2006 , 1:35am
post #95 of 118

I feel guilty for asking because soooo many people have asked... but would you send it to me too. [email protected] Thank you so much.

somerset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
somerset Posted 19 May 2006 , 2:52am
post #96 of 118

Hi all,

I'm new at this posting thing, can someone tell me where do I go to retrieve the reply for my request.

I recieved a email telling me to goto this link, Ok so I'm here. Where can I go on this website to get my reply ?

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 19 May 2006 , 3:17am
post #97 of 118

so sorry also,but send it my way also please!!pricing is very confusing.thanks

nicksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicksmom Posted 19 May 2006 , 3:18am
post #98 of 118

Gee this might [email protected]!!!!!!!!!!!

josiej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josiej Posted 19 May 2006 , 3:22am
post #99 of 118

Hi Lindsay, can you give a copy of your list too. I am new to do cakes and I don't have any idea how much to charge, no clue at all. thank you in advance. my email address is [email protected]

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 22 May 2006 , 7:10am
post #100 of 118

I would love this list as I am struggling with pricing again.
[email protected]

LadyGDiver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyGDiver Posted 22 May 2006 , 8:15am
post #101 of 118

I hate to be the only one on this site that hasn't asked for your "Pricing Guide" so here goes....
May I please get a copy too?

Thank You!
Nancy at [email protected]

nickdrewnjaysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickdrewnjaysmom Posted 22 May 2006 , 8:41am
post #102 of 118

Me Too, can someone email me a copy, anyone???

[email protected]

THANKS!!
JoAnn

notherncakesandpies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notherncakesandpies Posted 23 May 2006 , 2:49am
post #103 of 118

i need help with pricing my cakes, i feel so gulity not knowing what to charge. to me, every cake i make is a work of art, but i don't know if i should price it as such. i really hate for someone to tell they can go to kroger's or publix's and get a cheaper cake. if someone could please help me. i am not familar with the matrix method, thank you all sooo much!

notherncakesandpies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notherncakesandpies Posted 23 May 2006 , 3:47am
post #104 of 118

please send me a price list also, [email protected] thanks again!!!

aubrazacmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aubrazacmom Posted 23 May 2006 , 6:03pm
post #105 of 118

I would really appreciate it if you could send me the list too please! I'm just starting out and all the help I can get with pricing is a blessing! Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

[email protected]

gtshort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gtshort Posted 23 May 2006 , 8:14pm
post #106 of 118

I would also love to receive the pricing list. I just received my first two cake orders and I'm sure I underpriced them!

[email protected]

Thanks in advance!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 May 2006 , 4:01am
post #107 of 118

Take sometime and sit down to make a list of everything you use for
making a cake. If you bake from scratch you need a list of what you
use. If you use cake mixs, make a list of the things used for that.
Don't forget about your icing and fillings. Next you need to figure
out how much these things are costing you. Make sure you are using the
regular non sell price. If you are using fondant on a cake you need
to add that cost in as well.

I use cake mixes, so I figure the cost of the cake mix, plus everything
that goes in it, the filling, and 2 recipes of icing. These tells me
how much money I am spending to make that cake. To this figure you
need to add the price of your cake board/box. I will usually round up
and add a $2 or $3 at this point, to account for other things like the
decorating bags and such.

Now from here the general rule is to take the figure you have and times it
by 3. In my area sometimes I feel like that is too much, so you mostly drop it down to 2.5. NEVER EVER go below x2!!

So lets say that you came up with 8.50 as your figure (I'm just pulling
a number out of the air). 8.50x3 = 25.50 or 8.50x2.5 = 21.25 So then
you would charge 25.50 or 21.25 for a cake that requires one cake mix.
If you want to do a by serving price then you can figure out how many
servings a one mix cake pan would give you and use that as a guide. We
will use the 10in square (one layer) as an example. It usually uses
one cake mix and according to the Wilton guide it serves 25 (wedding
servings) or 15 (party servings) So you could say 25.50/25 = 1.02. So
that is slightly over $1 per serving. BUT remember wedding cakes cost
more to make than your regular every day cake. You have the price of your dowels/pillars plus cake plates. Plus these are usually cakes you have you deliever. I would probably go ahead and up that to $1.50 or $2.00, if not more.

Now if you want to get specific you can sit down and make a party
serving price and a wedding serving price, and when you do the wedding
figure go ahead and add in the dowels and/or plates/pillars to the
prices so they will already be figured in.

You can also call around to local bakeries to get an idea of what they
charge but please keep in mind that you do not have to charge less than
them. If you call somewhere like Walmart or a grocery store, remember
they buy in bulk and it does not cost them as much as it will you to
make the cake.

If you make specialty cakes then I would break your cakes down into groups. You could have your basic cakes for a price, your specialty cakes for a higher price, you may so have a dessert type cake that you would want to price a certain amount.

I know it sounds like a lot of work. And it kinda is. Just remember to save your math and figures. You probably want to go back every 6months or so to check your figures against store prices as some products go up over time. Once you sit down and do this, it is easier to go back in and plug in a new number.

You really need to know how much money is going into the cake to know how much to ask for it in return. Don't short change yourself and don't try to compete with grocery store cake prices.

Husne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Husne Posted 25 May 2006 , 2:45pm
post #108 of 118

can i have a copy please. My e-mail [email protected]
Husne

winjobit77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winjobit77 Posted 27 May 2006 , 3:46am
post #109 of 118

Can i please get a copy too? [email protected]

ChristaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaBaker Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 6:27pm
post #110 of 118

For those of you who say you are only charging twenty bucks for cakes, you are really selling yourselves short. I know it depends on where you live to some extent, but you should NEVER go by what the grocery store or Wal-Mart charges! icon_surprised.gif Remember that People want something better than that (and expect to pay more), otherwise they would just go to those places! Not to mention that, as someone else pointed out, those places pay MUCH less for their ingredients (partly because they they buy huge amounts, partly because they use the cheapest lowliest ingredients available) and they usually have the means of making and assembling things much quicker than a baker doing cakes individually would. You are insulting yourself and you will put yourself out of business if you charge their prices.

I know that we all want to do them for friends and family for free, and I do that a lot as my gift to them for their occasion, but for everyone else $20 would be my "bare minimum" even for a small cake - just buttercream with no design, maybe some sprinkles. You have to get paid for your labor time!

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 2 Jun 2006 , 7:03pm
post #111 of 118

Sorry everyone!

Yikes, I never thought I would come back to this. I have been off of my computer for 2 months (we are waiting for our house and living with family).

So there is no way I can email out my pricing list to SO many names. It would take me forever and a day.

So to make my pricing list, I just went to the grocery store and priced out all of my ingredients.

Then I figured out how much of each ingredient I needed for each size of cake. Wahla...A pricing list.

So easy you can all do it yourselves. icon_smile.gif it is really only a hours worth of work. And Really my pricing list has amounts for where I live, so you would have to re-do it for where you live.

I'd post it, but I'm still not on my computer!

Good luck everyone.

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 11:43am
post #112 of 118

can i please have a copy of this also [email protected]

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 6:41pm
post #113 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecakesbylindsay

I can't use the matrix either (we do not have the software). So I did every cake by hand and priced out the cost of each. And how many batches of icing I needed. It took me about an hour. Then I multiplied that by 2.5-3 depending on the size. So that the price was acceptable.

icon_smile.gif

I wrote my own excel spreadsheet for pricing cakes (if you would like a copy email me at [email protected]), I've run across a couple of people who don't have excel though.

You can go to www.microsoft.com and search for excel viewer so you use excel when you don't have it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-4569-b547-75edbd03aaf0&DisplayLang=en

I copied the link if you would like.

alicegop Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 6:46pm
post #114 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaBaker

For those of you who say you are only charging twenty bucks for cakes, you are really selling yourselves short. I know it depends on where you live to some extent, but you should NEVER go by what the grocery store or Wal-Mart charges! icon_surprised.gif Remember that People want something better than that (and expect to pay more), otherwise they would just go to those places! Not to mention that, as someone else pointed out, those places pay MUCH less for their ingredients (partly because they they buy huge amounts, partly because they use the cheapest lowliest ingredients available) and they usually have the means of making and assembling things much quicker than a baker doing cakes individually would. You are insulting yourself and you will put yourself out of business if you charge their prices.

I know that we all want to do them for friends and family for free, and I do that a lot as my gift to them for their occasion, but for everyone else $20 would be my "bare minimum" even for a small cake - just buttercream with no design, maybe some sprinkles. You have to get paid for your labor time!

I refuse to compete with Costco. If people want a Costco cake go get one. They taste good and are good for backyard BBQ's and church picnics. My cakes will taste awesome (better than Walmart that is for sure), but are highly customized. Don't sell your art short! I agree with ChristaBaker. I'd rather do a cake for free than to underprice it (I'm a math teacher and my husband is a history teacher and we like to talk about the parent who wants you to give a kid a bump up in his grade so he can.... play a sport or not get an F or whatever and so we say if we are going to sell our souls for a grade and give them a grade they don't deserve might as well give them an A. I see this the same for cakes. If you are going to sell yourself short, you might as well just give it away.)

alicegop Posted 9 Jul 2006 , 7:12pm
post #115 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDreams

Colieb,

I know exactly how you are feeling! I just finished a cake last night (an 8" round) that when i finished it, i felt like an idiot for only charging $20. It was covered in buttercream with rolled buttercream and mmf accents and if that was not enough, it had a big white chocolate clay bow on top. Until the end of March i was running a special of 15% off to try to get more business from a couple of mom's clubs i belong to but even at my normal price of $23 for that size and just filled with buttercream, i still am thinking that is too low.
I keep reevaluating my pricing because i am not sure if it is right for what i am doing. Right now with how much time it takes me to do each cake, i just figured i am only making $4 per hour for my time icon_cry.gif . I have to change something because that it peanuts!! I just feel guilty if i charge too much.

You are an artist, you have skills beyond a minimum wage worker. You had to invest a lot of your time and money into taking classes and buying supplies. You should make more money than someone flipping burgers at McDonalds!!!!!!!

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 2:18pm
post #116 of 118

I would love a copy of your price list, too!! I have had so many people tell me I'm not charging enough, so I would be curious to see what your list says.

Gracias!

[email protected]

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 1 Aug 2006 , 10:06pm
post #117 of 118

Can I have the "Oh so famous" list too... I really appreciate you sharing your info on pricing. Thanks. [email protected]

icingcommando Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingcommando Posted 4 Aug 2006 , 11:02pm
post #118 of 118

Me too, please. I would be greatly interested in you pricing list.

[email protected]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%