Basic Pricing Help

Business By MomLittr Updated 4 Aug 2006 , 11:02pm by icingcommando

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 118

I would like to put together a basic pricing list as I am being asked to do cakes for others, and need some advice. How do you list your base prices - by cake size (say 8", 9", rounds, square, shaped, etc....) and what do you consider a basic cake - just buttercream with minimal decorations? I live in South Jersey and wonder if anyone knows what the going prices are for this product. Know what Shop-Rite charges, and will definitely be charging a bit more than they do. My first "sold" cake will be the end of the month, and considering charging $20 for an 8" round or $25 for the 9" size....sound right? I agree with alot of you, pricing is the hardest part, and unfortunately the matrix just confused the heck out of me (not good in excel). Thank you all in advance for your input. thumbs_up.gif

Deb

117 replies
Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 118

I can't use the matrix either (we do not have the software). So I did every cake by hand and priced out the cost of each. And how many batches of icing I needed. It took me about an hour. Then I multiplied that by 2.5-3 depending on the size. So that the price was acceptable.

icon_smile.gif

MomLittr Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 118

Thanks Creativecakes.......I may have to do the same thing. Do you add the cost of delivery and the cake box too?

deb

Sugarbean Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 118

I did add in the cost of the cake board (only an estimate), and the box.

I put in my matrix...add x cents/dowel. Or x cents/ extra's

I did not include delivary. I only charge if it is a certian distance.

But you could if you wanted.

Would you like me to email my list? So you can see how I did it?

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 118

I've been having the same problem lately... and like you two, the matrix confuses me like crazy!

Lindsay, I would LOVE it if you could send me your list so I can figure out how to make one. My email is [email protected]
Thanks!

~Kelsie

MomLittr Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 10:35pm
post #6 of 118

Lindsay, pls send me what you do also....thanks for your help

[email protected]

Sugarbean Posted 7 Mar 2006 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 118

Sent icon_wink.gif

xkuuipo415x Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xkuuipo415x Posted 8 Mar 2006 , 12:04am
post #8 of 118

would you mind emailing it to me also?

[email protected]

I aprreciate it!

Peanuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peanuts Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 4:07am
post #9 of 118

could you also send me a list. Than you so much. Here's my e-mail:
[email protected]

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:06am
post #10 of 118

Me too Please!!!

[email protected]

Thanks so much.
Cindy

Viks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viks Posted 9 Mar 2006 , 5:12am
post #11 of 118

What's this matrix you're talking about? A computer program for pricing?

vera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vera Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 2:17pm
post #12 of 118

Could you please e-mail your pricing quide also. Thank you! [email protected]

ConnieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieB Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 3:44pm
post #13 of 118

would you please email me your pricing guide too, thank you so much. [email protected].

COLIEB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
COLIEB Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 118

I'm happy I'm not alone!! I have 10 cake orders this month (biggest order month so far) and the pricing is a killer!!! I feel like I'm either screwing myself or someone is thinking I'm screwing them! (sorry to be blunt) I'd love a copy of the guide you use also. Thanks in advance...

[email protected]

~Nicole

ConnieB Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 3:59pm
post #15 of 118

I know what you mean Colieb, Especialy when your dealing with family memebers, they expect a deal but they have to realize that it cost you money yo make the cake and use your time to do it!

COLIEB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
COLIEB Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 4:10pm
post #16 of 118

Exactly Cbowen!!!!!!!!! I find the pricing SOOOOOOOO stressful! I've only been cake decorating for a year and I'm a huge perfectionist so every cake takes a LONG time! I feel like I short change myself all the time.

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 4:14pm
post #17 of 118

Well it looks like we all are in need of a little help.
I'd appreciate the list to when you get time.

[email protected]

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 4:23pm
post #18 of 118

Me too! Me too!

I ahve made a few cakes for sale and it seems like the ingredients cost me as much or more than what I charge. I have tried to figure out cost of ingredients, but it always seems to take more than I think. For example I make one batch of buttercream and end up running out and making another. Or I forget to set some aside for a certain color and have to make a new batch.

I run a bakery out of my home for other baked goods and have always been able to figure out cost on them, but cakes are hard! I can never figure all the components for filling, icing, decor.

Anyhoo- can I have that list too please!
[email protected]

Kelly10176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelly10176 Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 4:26pm
post #19 of 118

you can add me to that list [email protected]

MomLittr Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 4:32pm
post #20 of 118

I have decided to make a base price for any cakes that may be ordered, based on size ($25 for 8", $30 for $9", etc... in $5 increments.) This would be for basic buttercream icing with minimal decorations (border, writing, couple of flowers), and for simple fillings. I got this idea from looking at a website, www.simplesweetness.com, and checking out her menu......while she did not put prices, it sort of separates standard and premium cakes and fillings. Down the line if I really start getting orders I may change this, but would have to start getting alot of orders. Hope this helps.

deb

StandingForJesus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StandingForJesus Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 4:46pm
post #21 of 118

Am I understanding someone has a basic pricing list to share? If so, I would also love to have a copy of that.... [email protected].

I always feel so guilty when I tell someone a price, only because I know they can go to the local grocery store and purchase a cake for far less. Those who do not know the work and time involved in making our cakes end up cancelling orders feeling like they've been taken advantage thinking I've overcharged them. I was told by my supplier to add the cost of making the cake then double that figure to get my overall cost to charge the customer. If someone has a something else, I would really love to hear about it.

Have a SON-filled, blessed day! - Ellie

Viks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viks Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 5:12pm
post #22 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbowen

I know what you mean Colieb, Especialy when your dealing with family memebers, they expect a deal but they have to realize that it cost you money yo make the cake and use your time to do it!

Yep, especially about the time!

I would love a copy of the guide too if you have time! Thanks icon_smile.gif
[email protected]

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 5:45pm
post #23 of 118

I do what Standingfor Jesus does. I add the cost of making the cake then double that figure to get my overall cost to charge the customer. That is whst works for me. I have never had a problem with people and price. They know they are getting what they paid for. THE BEST.

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 5:50pm
post #24 of 118

Can I please have a copy also? Thanks so much!!!!
[email protected]

Sugarbean Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 7:27pm
post #25 of 118

Sent...

ConnieB Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 7:30pm
post #26 of 118

Thank you so much Lindsay, I appreciate it very much!

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 7:39pm
post #27 of 118

I am in the same boat! I am so stressed out. I got my first order yesterday & I told him $30.00 for a 11x15 sheet cake. Its going to be a quilt design. I am thinking now that I way underpriced it. But I did the cost x 2.5 or 3. So thats what I came up with.

Could I have a copy also? Please. [email protected]

Thank you all so much for sharing your stories with me & encouraging me!

I love Cake Central!!!

SweetDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams Posted 14 Mar 2006 , 10:01pm
post #28 of 118

Colieb,

I know exactly how you are feeling! I just finished a cake last night (an 8" round) that when i finished it, i felt like an idiot for only charging $20. It was covered in buttercream with rolled buttercream and mmf accents and if that was not enough, it had a big white chocolate clay bow on top. Until the end of March i was running a special of 15% off to try to get more business from a couple of mom's clubs i belong to but even at my normal price of $23 for that size and just filled with buttercream, i still am thinking that is too low.
I keep reevaluating my pricing because i am not sure if it is right for what i am doing. Right now with how much time it takes me to do each cake, i just figured i am only making $4 per hour for my time icon_cry.gif . I have to change something because that it peanuts!! I just feel guilty if i charge too much.

Jennifer1303 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer1303 Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 1:55am
post #29 of 118

Hello All!

My sister and I are "sort of" in business together. She bakes the cakes and I decorate them. We don't know what to charge, I guess it depends on the size and decorations of the cake.

She just got two orders for 24 cupcakes each. They just want them for the heck of it, no special reason. Any ideas on what to put on them or how much to charge for them?

They are from previous customers who really enjoyed their cakes!

By the way, one set if for a female and one is for a male! Please help me!

Thanks,

Jen

TandTHarrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TandTHarrell Posted 15 Mar 2006 , 2:01am
post #30 of 118

hi could i please have your price list also. [email protected]..
I am getting ready to overseas (japan) for 3 years this should really help out alot.... thanks you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%