Help With My Icing!

Decorating By tcturtleshell Updated 17 Apr 2005 , 2:40pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 4:24am
post #1 of 13

HELP!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I made the icing for the wedding cake today.... I have not had a good day! thumbsdown.gif I was making Calidawn's BC recipe well... I forgot to add the butter & salt! I guess because I'm used to making Wilton's BCI.

I did make one batch of BCI with the butter & salt but I sat it aside... After I was finished making all the icing, storing the icing & putting it in the frig.. I saw the ONLY batch I had made WITH butter sitting on the counter top near my sink.... I picked it up.. looked inside, tasted it & screamed! I FORGOT THE BUTTER IN ALL THE OTHER BATCHES I MADE!!
12 TO BE SPECIFIC!!!

I make 2 batches of BCI at a time. My Kitchen Aid will hold that much. Can I put the batches I already made back into the mixing bowl & add the butter & salt to it?

PLEASE SAY IT WILL WORK!! I am so mad at myself icon_sad.gif I could use the icing the way I have it but it is just the greasy icing.... The bride wants butter icing!!!

Cali, MrsMissey, Ladycake, Godiva, Squirrelycakes, Flavy, Lisa, Mouse & everyone else PLEASE HELP!!

Save me from myself!!! Ahhhhhhhh!! THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!! thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 4:41am
post #2 of 13

I say go for it!, but maybe take a double batch and cut it in half so that you don't waste so much butter just in case it does not work.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 5:06am
post #3 of 13

If the batches you made are missing the butter, I say go for it too! Do the batches without butter have extra shortening in place of the butter? If so, you'd have to adjust the recipe completely adding more of everything (except shortening). It would probably work better too if the butter and frosting were both at room temp. Good luck Tina...I hope it works!

tcturtleshell Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 5:10am
post #4 of 13

The batches just don't have the butter & salt. They have everything else right. I still can't believe I did this!! I will put butter & icing out in the morning to get to room temp. Then I'll try it....... Thanks m0use & Lisa~

If anyone else can help I'd appreciate it~ I will be gone in the morning but will be home on back on CC around noon.
~Thanks~

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 9:48am
post #5 of 13

Yes, just go back and add the butter and slat. Make sure the butter is at room temperature first, as well as the icing you are going to add it to. Be careful how much you add, not to add too much. I'd whip it on low at least at the end to get the air bubbles out as much as possible. If possible, cream the butter first for each batch before you add the rest of the buttercream frosting. Then it should integrate a bit easier. You should be able to do two batches at a time, I bet, if you have a 5Q mixer.

Best of luck!!
~AngelWendy

nashsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nashsmom Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 11:43am
post #6 of 13

tc, at this point I think you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying it. I agree with AngelWendy and would let everything come to room temp, cream the butter first with the salt, then add your frosting. If you feel you have too many air bubbles, you can always mix by hand with a spatula to try to get some out. Using a hot knife on the cake after it's frosted helps too. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...

tcturtleshell Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 13

I have worried about this all during the night!! I'm fixing to get my icing & butter out of the frig & get to room temp. I've got to take my son somewhere then I'll attack my mess up! LOL!!

Thanks AngelWendy & nashsmom!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 13

It sounds like you will be able to fix it up fine! Keep us posted! Janice

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 13

If you are making my recipe as stated, there is no salt added. But other than that- yes, you can fix it up, all is not lost. I've gone back after making my several batches for a project and have decided I want to add more butter or shortening or even flavoring. It all works in the end. No worries!

tcturtleshell Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 6:01am
post #10 of 13

THANKS!
I was able to fix my icing!!! thumbs_up.gif Yes, it was your recipe Dawn. AND LET ME SAY IT IS WONDERFUL!! OH, didn't add salt icon_smile.gif It took me all day to fix the icing because the Fire Dept had 3 EMS runs in a row! I did get it finished & it turned out great~

Ya'll ready for the next screw up??? Only me!! icon_sad.gif
I also made my Chocolate BCI for the groom's cake. In that one I did remember to add the butter icon_wink.gif ... but I added too much crisco!!!!! 2 cups instead of one! That was when I was having to dispatch for the Fire Dept. I had to pay close attention to my FD radio. Thank God I only messed up on 2 batches! I halved the batches I messed up on & added more powder sugar & butter. It turned out just fine.

Ok...... I got through 2 disasters in one day & 3 EMS runs... I hope this is it!!! icon_cry.gif I have to make the cakes this week! Ya'll pray for me.. I need all the help I can get~

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 6:14am
post #11 of 13

I am so sorry I didnt read this until now... I was going to tell you I did the same thing before, and I ended adding the butter and it was fine....
what I think now for you is, your cake will be spectacular.... you got all the problems out early... just relax, and shake off the nervousness and you will be fine yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 6:18am
post #12 of 13

OMG all that in one day? That is amazing, and you wonder why you "messed up" on some icing...don't sweat the small stuff, kiddo, you are doing great! Janice

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 17 Apr 2005 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 13

Well- you will certainly have enough icing with all the extra stuff you added creating more icing!! It lasts forever. Don't throw it away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%