Honest Opinions

Decorating By zoboo2 Updated 26 Mar 2007 , 3:09am by angelcakesmom

zoboo2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoboo2 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:46am
post #1 of 32

This was a cake I made for my son's school fun night. They are called the Adam's all stars and the figure on the cake is wearing a school tshirt. This was my first ever fondant cake and my first time making a figure. So anything I could have done differently??
LL
LL

31 replies
McMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McMama Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:52am
post #2 of 32

Oh my goodness! I don't think you need to do anything differently. I think you did an excellent job. Love your figure right down to the blue jeans!
Great job!

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:53am
post #3 of 32

It looks fantastic. You did a great job.

blessingsandblossoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessingsandblossoms Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:54am
post #4 of 32

How adorable! I love the face. I might make the arms a little shorter.

mqguffey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mqguffey Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:55am
post #5 of 32

OK, you're figure looks like you've been doing them for years. Way jealous!

The only thing I would say is maybe you could have done ADAM in a different color, it blends into the background a bit much.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:56am
post #6 of 32

Wow! You did an awesome job! Hard to believe this is your first on this level! I can't see that you need to change a thing or do anything else to it. It looks perfect! icon_smile.gif

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:58am
post #7 of 32

Wow!!! Great job. I agree with the color of the name. I did not see it right away. The arms are a good length in comparison to where they lay on the body, I just think the sleeves are so short that it makes them look long. Can't believe this is your first!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks grrrreat! thumbs_up.gif

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:58am
post #8 of 32

i think you did a great job and it will be a huge hit. i love when things are personalized. Like putting the school t-shirt on it. The only thing I might have done differently and I need to do it with my own cakes is make a nicer cake board. I've noticed with a lot of people, their cakeboard looks good and it makes the cake look even better.

zoboo2 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:59am
post #9 of 32

Thanks for the compliments! It means alot to me! I thought the cake looked good too but I can see flaws or things I could change so I just wanted to see through someone elses eyes. Your comments are very helpful! thumbs_up.gif

blessingsandblossoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessingsandblossoms Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:02am
post #10 of 32

So when can you make one for my school?

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:37am
post #11 of 32

That' looks great!! I too would have done the Adam in yellow or white. icon_smile.gif

Very good job on the figure!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:46am
post #12 of 32

Yah the Adam needs to be in another color to show up better. Otherwise iy all looks great! And your first figure? No Way!! Well, I'm pretty impressed. It's soo cute! You'll be a hit mom!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:47am
post #13 of 32

It always amazes me to see "fondant firsts" that really don't look like firsts at all!!!! Your is no exception - it looks really nice.
I agree with "Adam" kinda blending in and covering the cake board - as you work with fondant more, you'll find yourself covering the board with fondant also.
Super Job!!!!!!!!!

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:02am
post #14 of 32

I think that it turned out really good.

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:02am
post #15 of 32

I think that it turned out really good.

marcus0316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcus0316 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:23am
post #16 of 32

This looks great !!!

Countryatheart32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Countryatheart32 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:57am
post #17 of 32

Your cake looks great! I love the face on your figure.

Great job!

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:06am
post #18 of 32

The cake looks great, like the other few, I did not see the ADAMS until I looked the 3rd time.
Like you I struggle with my cake boars. I have to figure something out to cover them up better.

Awesome Job, they will love it.

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 10:31am
post #19 of 32

that cake looks awesome. I wish i could do figure modeling like that

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 11:03am
post #20 of 32

I also am jealous!! All I have acheived is a donkey icon_confused.gif Great job!!

shamley0701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shamley0701 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 12:38pm
post #21 of 32

I think you did an awesome job! Especially that being your FIRST fondant cake and figure! Way to go!

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 12:43pm
post #22 of 32

Holy Cake! That figurine is AMAZING! You did a wonderful job!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 12:46pm
post #23 of 32

Please, may I ask about the significance of the butterfly?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 12:50pm
post #24 of 32

Very cute cake! I will have to call you when I need fondant figures done, i can't do them to save my life... unless it is a bear =)

The only thing I would change is either make Adams yellow or make the "ribbon" border yellow, it would bring in the color from the top star and then Adams would stand out a little more.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 1:10pm
post #25 of 32

It's amazing! I haven't tried fondant figures yet, and I don't expect my first to be that good!!!!

The only thing I would change would be to put 3 large stars at the top instead of 2. I always work in odd numbers.

Great job!!!

zoboo2 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:05pm
post #26 of 32

Once again, thanks for all of the suggestions! I will deffinatly make some changes for my next cake. I agree totally with needing to make the Adams in another color. I used color flow and intended on putting those letters in front of the top tier, not the bottom. But when I went to place them, they didn't look right there. That's why they ended up being kinda hidden at the bottom. As for the cake board you are also totally right! I was really hoping to do something creative there but it was 11 pm and i was ready to sleep so I went generic. Next time I think I will plan a lot better. As for the figure, I downloaded a tutorial on figure making. The link was posted in another forum on Cake central. I can try to post the link if anyone is interested. I think I paid $9. something for it. IT was really worth it to me!!!
Someone asked about the butterfly. I don't really know why I did it. I guess I wanted to try to do a butterfly in color flow just to see if it would work. Then I decided to stick it on the cake as sort of an "advertisement" that I could do them if anyone was interested. Everyone loved the cake at school and I already have people saying they are going to give me a call! Not sure what I am getting myself into since I work a full time job that goes late in the evenings sometimes! Oh well it's all fun!

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:41pm
post #27 of 32

Sweet cake!! Nice job, wow, first time, you have the talent sister, run with it!
Great Job

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:22pm
post #28 of 32

[quote=zoboo2]This was my first ever fondant cake and my first time making a figure.[/quote]

Looking at this cake...I find it hard to believe that statement lol! It looks amazing and you definately have a knack for it! Jen

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:30pm
post #29 of 32

That's a great cake.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 2:59am
post #30 of 32

I think you did a fabulous job. I also agree about Adam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%