Strawberry Help

Decorating By Cakeladie Updated 25 Mar 2007 , 10:36pm by JoanneK

Cakeladie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeladie Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 9

I have a wedding cake coming up where the bride has requested sliced strawberries between the cake layers instead of filling (there will be icing between the layers as well). If I make these cakes a day or so ahead of time and place the strawberries inside the layers will they turn brown or black? Will Fruit Fresh work for this? Any help on this would be much appreciated!

8 replies
Audraj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Audraj Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 9

If you can't refrigerate your cake, I wouldn't do it.

You also run the risk of the fruit creating a lot of moisture and leaking through your icing.

And yes - the strawberries may turn brown and mushy.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 9

And even if you put the slices between a layer of BC, the sugar will cause them to mascerate - give off their juice - and the layers could get so wet between each other that they slide apart when they go to cut it. I have seen this happen.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 9

I recently made some mini cakes with a strawberry filling (cooked type) and a fresh sliced berry on top. After an overnight stint in the fridge there was a pool of melted sugar on top sliding down the side and onto the plate. Personally I wouldn't do fresh berries, however a cooked filling might work for the bride.

PM me if you need a recipe for the cooked filling. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

dolphinheron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphinheron Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 9

Sorry, I don't have first-hand experience with fresh berries between layers, but if I were you I'd run a little experiment with a few cupcakes or cake scraps first.

I'd try one cupcake, split, with a layer of icing topped by plain berries that had been sliced and patted dry really well. Then put the top half on him, refrigerate, and see what happens after a day or two. At the same time I'd try another one with berries treated with Fruit Fresh; and a third with berries tossed with a little lemon juice.

Check them each day to see how they hold up - if they deteriorate badly or do something funky to your cake you'll know in advance, and perhaps you can recommend one the of strawberry spreads as an alternative. I've used the "All Fruit" brand spreads and they are quite good - just don't go crazy with them or your layers will seep and slide around.

Good luck! Let us know the results of your experiment if you try it! thumbs_up.gif

Cakeladie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeladie Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your insight and I'll let you know how it turns out!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:26pm
post #7 of 9

What about dried strawberries? How do you all think that would work? They ought to soften up just enough with the filling by the time the cake is served to be right. They wouldn't be fresh, but it would still be interesting.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 9

I've done sliced strawberries over a layer of seedless strawberry spread, and it has worked fine many times. I also suggest using the BOTTOM of the cake as the middle where the filling goes. Of course, I do these types of fillings at the last minute, and they need to be refrigerated.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 9

I've done fresh strawberries where I mixed them up with whipped cream or Pastry Pride and it worked out fine. Maybe rather then just a layer of them you could mix them in with the buttercream to keep them from getting to juciy.

I would think they would be fine if they sat out overnight. Well at least if you used Pastry Pride or buttercream. Of course the whipped cream would have to stay cold.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%