Pumkin Shaped Cake

Decorating By briansbaker Updated 22 Sep 2006 , 4:17pm by SweetThistleCakes

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 25

I need ideas on what size of round cakes would I need to stack and carve. I am carving it into a pumpkin shape and it needs to feed 40 people.. Making 2 of them, icing them in BC and covering in Fondant.. Doing a Cinderella theme Cupcake Tower (April 15th) and two pumpkin cakes to go around the Tower.. HELP!!! icon_cry.gif
TIA

24 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 25

How's about two bunt pans. One upside down, the next right side up on top. That will give you the shape without much carving.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 25

I have seen people bake 2 bundt cakes and put them together bottoms facing, then ice with buttercream. fill in the hole with icing and make a stem. They made very pretty pumpkins.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 25

subaru- We WV gals think alike! Must be the clean mountain air!

subaru Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 25

Must be!!!! Or As I like to say Great minds think alike!!!!

subaru Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 25

I found the one I was talking about in the galleries. Here it is.
LL
LL

subaru Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 25

Well, I don't know how I did it twice, but you get the idea!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 25

I've done two bundt pans to do the pumpkien. It gives you the natural shape with out the carving. I'm sure you could do it with rounds though, probably want to stack 3 or 4 layers and go from there.

Here is the one I did....
LL

briansbaker Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 25

How beautiful!
I was thinking about this method too.. But I need it to have layers when cut... I was really thinking about makeing some rounds and just carving it round.. And adding rolled fondant to give the grooves that a pumpkin has, does this sound practical??? Think this would work??? But what size for rounds??? I need to make a practice one!! icon_cry.gif
Here is one carved.. But I don't need 14" rounds.. that is wayyyyyyyy to much cake.. What sizes do you think I would need to feed 40 people a pumkin?
LL

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 25

Are you just feeding 40 with the pumpkins or are you feeding them with the cupcakes, too?

I would definately go NO smaller than 10". You are going to be cutting/carving them, so you are going to lose some servings that way.

You could use your carvings and then make cake balls into little pumpkins--that would be cute!! lol!

Lisa

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 25

Hi Briansbaker,

You can do any size, really. If you check my photos, we did a cascading pumpkin wedding cake with an 8, 10, and 12 inch pumpkin.

What you do is fill your cake and put your layers together. Then with a serrated knife, (make sure the layers have been in the fridge and are thoroughly chilled), just start carving off a little bit of cake at a time, rounding out the top side edges and bottom edges, indenting the center, and then very slowly adding ridges. It actually is not too rough to handle this one. Let me know if you need any more help!
Take care!
Ellen

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:37pm
post #12 of 25

I'm not the best at sizes, especially when it comes to carving, but I would start with atleast 1/3 more cake than you would need, maybe more.

My cake is done in buttercream and I did the ridges with a straw, so I basicly used the bundt pans for the over all shape, and added the ridge detail to it.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 25

Could you torte the bottom one and fill, then board and torte and fill the top one?

briansbaker Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 4:26pm
post #14 of 25

Well I am doing 170 cupcakes for the tower and then 2 pumpkin cakes that need to feed approx. 40 people each.. so the servings will be at around 250 people.. Thank you so much for the responses.
OMG ellepal Your cakes are amazing. LOVE THE PUMPKINS!!!!!!!!!!! that is so precious and so detailed.. I hope my pumpkins look as good as yours!!!! THANKS again!!!

frogfiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogfiend Posted 6 Mar 2006 , 5:47pm
post #15 of 25

I did this pumpkin with two bunts and still layered them. There was 6 layers of cake with hazelnut praline buttercream in between all layers. It was for a party of about 50 with the layers and it was kind of tall it fed them all
LL

BunnieHop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BunnieHop Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:39am
post #16 of 25

Sorry to bump up an older thread but this is exactly what I'm looking for! My mother requested a 3D pumpkin cake for her birthday next month and I was stumped. Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:50am
post #17 of 25

I made a pumpkin using the Wilton Sports Ball pan. It looked like those round "sugar" pumpkins.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:53am
post #18 of 25

Ok Ellepal I looked through all your photo's but did not see the cascading pumpkin wedding cake. Did I totally miss it? Your cakes are wonderful.

I am making a small (mini actually) pumpkin shaped cake out of 2 mini bundts to do as a smash cake for my grandsons 1st birthday. What would you suggest for the stem? Should I just do a fondant stem. They don't have mini cake cones do they? If they do then I have never seen them.

Anyone?

BunnieHop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BunnieHop Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:53am
post #19 of 25

Thank you Jorre. Sounds like I may have to do some shopping this weekend.

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 5:54am
post #20 of 25

whoooooeee...my ticker worked....

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:14am
post #21 of 25

I would do a fondant stem, turns out more realistic. That is what I did for the one I made.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 6:50am
post #22 of 25

what about williams-sonoma's great pumpkin pan?

Image[/img]

talmas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talmas Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 1:59pm
post #23 of 25

I made a pumpkin for Halloween last year. I used four 8" rounds and only carved the top cake to make it more round. I used the left over cake to make the stem. It is covered in buttercream and airbrushed.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 2:09pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundine2

Ok Ellepal I looked through all your photo's but did not see the cascading pumpkin wedding cake. Did I totally miss it? Your cakes are wonderful.

I am making a small (mini actually) pumpkin shaped cake out of 2 mini bundts to do as a smash cake for my grandsons 1st birthday. What would you suggest for the stem? Should I just do a fondant stem. They don't have mini cake cones do they? If they do then I have never seen them.

Anyone?

they do have mini cake cones.......they are so adorable.......I make cupcakes in them all the time for my kids....you can almost pop the whole thing in your mouth at once (who am I kidding, I do!)......they are made by Joy and they are called kids cones.....I actually bought them by mistake once, the box doesn't look a whole lot diff. than the reg. sized ones.........but it says 60 cones on it.....and you're like "how did they fit 60 cones in this box?" well when you see the size you know how........they are probably 2 1/2 in. tall.........they're sooooo cute!!! I got them at Super Wal-Mart....but I have bought them at my reg. grocery store too

SweetThistleCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetThistleCakes Posted 22 Sep 2006 , 4:17pm
post #25 of 25

Where can I find a mini bundt pan for less that $30? Does anyone know where I can get them individually?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%