When You're To Lazy To Do A Fbct...

Decorating By cassandrascakes Updated 21 Mar 2008 , 12:46am by lauramw71

cassandrascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cassandrascakes Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 28

Do what I did, LOL. I get off work at 11:15pm and didn't have the energy to do a FBCT. I had some FBCT icing already made, so I printed my images on heavy paper and traced them with the black icing. Then I just placed them on the smoothly iced cake and rolled over the image a little with my paint roller. Well, the image came off perfectly and I just filled it in with regular buttercream, decorated the rest of the cake and sprinkled on some disco dust. I like that the image isn't sitting higher than the rest of the cake like it does sometimes with FBCT. Well, I thought I'd share!
LL

27 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 28

Cool idea! It turned out great. Gotta love Dora and Boots! I can understand not wanting to do a FBCT - as I was completing one around 11 PM last night.

caixa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caixa Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 28

Thanks for posting that idea, cake looks great and sounds easy too icon_smile.gif

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 28

that is a great idea........how did you fill in so smoothly with regular buttercream!

cassandrascakes Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 28

After I filled in the areas with buttercream, I just waited a few minutes to let the icing crust a bit. Then I rolled over it with the paint roller lightly. Believe it or not, the colors don't run together. Then, I piped back over the design with black buttercream. It was super simple. Thanks for the comments!!

cliffsbabytiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cliffsbabytiff Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 28

This idea is so great..I am artistically challenged really bad,a dn my DAughter wants a My Little Pony Cake...I was thinking How the heck am i going to draw that!!

But I could find a Pony coloring page and do this adn then it creates liek a coloring page right on the cake right?

What a fantastic Idea! By the way What is FBCT? I ahve Idea with most abbreviations..LOL

mamakau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakau Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 28

You did such a great job! The colors are beautiful, and the lines are so neat! I have one question, after you printed out the image, you put wax paper over it and then traced it?

lilkimberb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilkimberb Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 28

great idea!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 28

You just have to make sure to print the image out mirror.....that way when you trace it out and flip it onto the cake (just like a regular transfer with piping gel)........it will be going the right way...

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 7:12pm
post #10 of 28

is there ever a time it is ok NOT to print it in mirror image? My printer doesn't have that option.

And also what kind of "heavy" paper did you use?

TIA

wgoat5 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #11 of 28

OOps forgot to tell you the cake looks great! My 4 yr. old is about to have a coniption (sp?) fit.

icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 7:23pm
post #12 of 28

Do you use reg. crusting bc thinned down? Same for the outline? Sorry so many questions.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:06pm
post #13 of 28

The only time you absolutely have to print a mirror image is if there is text. It will come our backwards. If there isn't any writing, your image will be flipped but if it is a picture, it really won't matter unless you need it to face a certain way.

There was just a thread going on about printing mirror image. You might be surprised that you actually can get your printer to do it. But everyone's printer has different options...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-184041-.html

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:11pm
post #14 of 28

Great idea! Thanks for the tip, I would also like to know which tip you used to fill in. Also, congratulations on your weight loss! Keep going!!

roanoker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roanoker Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:28pm
post #15 of 28

Here's another option (I am completely self taught and have always done it this way because I don't like the smeary mess it sometimes makes when you outline with gel or icing and press it down)...After you ice the cake smooth. Cut the picture out of the page it is on. Press it down onto the cake all around the edges until it makes a little indentation on the cake, an outline. Then I cut the picture on all of the lines and put them back on the cake and press them down, until they leave a mark. Fill in your colors. Smooth them with the Viva towel method and then outline and add finishing touches. I have to add, I've been doing it this way for 6 years. Ijust joined CC last month and found out about FBCT and am trying my first one today. I think I may go back to my old method icon_lol.gif

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:42pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Quote:

Here's another option (I am completely self taught and have always done it this way because I don't like the smeary mess it sometimes makes when you outline with gel or icing and press it down)...After you ice the cake smooth. Cut the picture out of the page it is on. Press it down onto the cake all around the edges until it makes a little indentation on the cake, an outline. Then I cut the picture on all of the lines and put them back on the cake and press them down, until they leave a mark. Fill in your colors. Smooth them with the Viva towel method and then outline and add finishing touches. I have to add, I've been doing it this way for 6 years. Ijust joined CC last month and found out about FBCT and am trying my first one today. I think I may go back to my old method

Hey roanoker - I've been doing mine the same way as you for about eight years. I have tried the FBCT method twice since joining CC, but depending on what I need to do - I really like the method we use a lot better. icon_lol.gif

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:49pm
post #17 of 28

great idea thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 8:59pm
post #18 of 28

Can you explain this a little better I think I am either misunderstanding or I dunno...

roanoker Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 9:31pm
post #19 of 28

Littlegrahamcracker, How cool is that?! Great minds must think alike. I don't think I am liking this FBCT method, but it is still too soon to tell for sure. We're in the freezing stage.

Let's see if I can explain any better. Copy your picture onto a piece of paper, or if you are using a coloring book, just rip out the page. Cut out the picture along the outside outline. Press it down onto the cake - after the icing has crusted and been smoothed. Make sure you press all around the edges. When you pull up the paper there will be a line/indentation on the cake. If you have waited for proper crusting the paper won't stick. Now cut the picture up along all of the lines and lay them out on the table like a puzzle you have put back together. Put a piece inside the outline where it fits and press it down lightly to leave the outline of this shape. Repeat with all of the pieces until you have the entire picture "drawn" on the cake. Now fill in each spot with the appropriate color. Let it crust and smooth lightly with a VIVA towel. Yes it smudges/grows a little bit sometimes, but not much. Then go back and do your outlining and details.

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 9:41pm
post #20 of 28

roanoker ~ I used to do mine that way too but I am sold on FBCT's. They are so much faster for me thumbs_up.gif

roanoker Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 9:51pm
post #21 of 28

I am hoping it will be faster once I get the hang of it, that's why I am trying it. But so far, it has taken me just as long, except that I could work on it WHILE the cake was baking, instead of having to wait until tonight. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

wgoat5 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 10:27pm
post #22 of 28

Thank you for the details. I understand a lot better. If you do a FBCT please post and tell us which method you perfer.

Thanks a million

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 10:43pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by igothappy

This idea is so great..I am artistically challenged really bad,a dn my DAughter wants a My Little Pony Cake...I was thinking How the heck am i going to draw that!!

But I could find a Pony coloring page and do this adn then it creates liek a coloring page right on the cake right?

What a fantastic Idea! By the way What is FBCT? I ahve Idea with most abbreviations..LOL

It means Frozen ButterCream Transfer. Here's a link to what the abbrevations mean: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

Here is an article on how to do the FBCT: http://www.cakecentral.com/article12-How-To-Create-a-Frozen-Buttercream-Transfer.html

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 3:01am
post #24 of 28

...will try ...thanks cassandrascakes.....great idea! icon_smile.gif

cassandrascakes Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:41am
post #25 of 28

Gosh, I'm sorry it took so long for me to post. I went to work, lol. Anyways, here's what I did.

I didn't have to worry about printing mirror image, because I didn't care which way Dora and Boots faced. I just printed on cardstock paper because it's what was in the printer. You could print on any paper. I then traced the outline with the black icing. I used the recipe that's listed on the posts for FBCT, but I guess thinned down buttercream could work just as well. I just wanted to make sure the design stayed wet long enough to do the transfer.

Then, I just flipped the paper over and placed it on the cake and rolled it a little bit with the paint roller. You could also just press it with your hand or something. Just like you said, it looks just like a coloring page, but on a cake. Then I filled it in with regular buttercream. After the colors crusted a bit, I rolled it lightly with the paint roller again. Then I went over the lines with black buttercream. It was really easy and I was happy with it.

Thanks for the encouraging words about the weightloss. It truly is a battle!

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 1:56am
post #26 of 28

cassandrascakes ~ I was wondering if you place anything over your printed picture before you do the outline in order to protect the ink from coming into contact with your icing? Or do you use edible ink?

beccan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccan Posted 20 Mar 2008 , 1:10pm
post #27 of 28

How did you fill in with the buttercream? Did you just pipe it in, and what was the consistency of your buttercream? Thanks

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 21 Mar 2008 , 12:46am
post #28 of 28

That is BEAUTIFUL!!! Great job!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%