I Should Know This Already.....

Decorating By melissablack Updated 16 Apr 2005 , 3:09am by tcturtleshell

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 13

I am baking a really big cake today, lots of different pans... if I stick a tray of cupcakes in the oven with a cake pan will it mess up the baking? I have a feeling the answer is yes, but I'm in such a hurry since I was too tired last night and left it all to the last minute! Grr, I'm so mad at myself!

Melissa icon_sad.gif

12 replies
peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 13

Just my opinion, but every time i try to take a short cut and put extra in the oven it always messes up my baking time, but maybe i just dn't know the right way to do it! icon_sad.gif

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 13

I've done this and it turned out okay. I think the key is to make sure the pans don't touch. If you can, stagger the pans so one is not directly above/below the other. Everything will take longer to cook this way.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 13

I have read that you need to rotate the pans, as in switching what shelf each one is on, but............I also read not to open the oven in the middle of baking, so it's kind of a catch 22 going on there! Don't know!!!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 13

Funny that you made a post Melissa that is titled "I should know this" I got on CC to ask a question that I should know already too....
Ya'll here is the question... Please help!

Ok, I'm making my icing for my wedding cakes...
6",8",12", & 16"

I re-checked all my notes & now I'm mixed up! The wilton chart says: APPROX CUPS, ICING TO ICE AND DECORATE 2 LAYER CAKE. It says for a 6" you need 3 c., 8" you need 4 c., 12" 7 1/2 c., 16" 9 c.

Question is.... Is that right or do I need to make more? I need to make extra to take with me to the wedding just in case I have to fix any mistakes when I stack the cakes. I will need a little more extra for a bead border.

Any help would be WONDERFUL!!!!! I'm doing my icing today & putting it in the icebox. I will be busy next week making all the cakes.

THANK YOU!!!!!!

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 13

I always seem to need more then what Wilton suggests. If it were me, I'd make at least an extra batch of icing, just to be safe and you can always use it on your next cake, since it keeps a long time in the fridge!!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 7:03pm
post #7 of 13

I agree with MrsMissey...better to have too much than not enough.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 13

Better safe than sorry. if you have too much you can always eat it! icon_biggrin.gif

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 13

I also agree. I have done this a couple of times before and regretted not having enough-especially when it was a colored icing. Icing takes a bit to go bad. So even if you don't use it now, you can use it on another cake or cupcakes or something!!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been baking ALL DAY. Remind me to never bake and decorate in the same day ever again!! lol. There are so many parts to this cake I am making.

Tina, I am no help on the icing question, but I agree with everyone else. I always make too much. If nothing else, at least you could put it in the freezer in case you have a spur of the moment cake to make or something!

I just tried the Dream Whip Icing, and am waiting for it to crust! Hopefully it will hold up to the LA weather, as I am making the cake for an outdoor luau party tomorrow evening!

Melissa

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:17am
post #11 of 13

Tina, if you are using the BC icing as the filling, too, you will need more. If you have a different filling, I think those amounts sound right. Keep in mind that you will need more filling for each level you torte, too. If it's more than two layers to fill per tier, you'll need more.

Are you doing a fondant layer on top of the BC? That affects the quantity, too. I think you can do a fairly thin layer of BC under fondant, but the fondant would take a lot of time to roll out.

Wishing you the best of luck on this project!!

~AngelWendy

tcturtleshell Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 3:05am
post #12 of 13

Sorry, I got kicked off line after I made that post & was too busy making the icing that I didn't get back on CC til now.

If I'm correct I made way too much, LOL!! Better then not having enough I TOTALLY AGREE!!! I needed around 22 cups but I think I made 36 cups.... I have 2 more cakes due a few days after the wedding so I'll have enough for those cakes too!!

I love decorating but I sure wish I would just wiggle my nose & the icing would make itself & the cakes would make themselves!!! I only like icing & decorating the cakes!! OH... & eating them!! It just takes so much time & I'm on my feet too long.
Thanks you gals for your help!

tcturtleshell Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 3:09am
post #13 of 13

OOPSS forgot.... Melissa... if we lived closer we could've helped each other today!! We would have had a ball!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%