Need Ideas For Over The Hill Cake

Decorating By Daniellemhv Updated 1 Apr 2007 , 9:18am by Daniellemhv

Daniellemhv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniellemhv Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:31am
post #1 of 15

My best friend's parents are having a 50th "over the hill" party together because their birthdays are only 2 weeks apart. So they are having the party the weekend between their birthday. She wants me to make a over the hill cake to feed about 50 people. she told me her and her sister want "over the hill stuff and maybe stuff like graveyards" thats all i know lol. I've been looking at alot of over the hill cakes and couldn't find any ideas that I liked. I prefer working with mmf. But she may want buttercream so any ideas for either PLEASE I would really appreciate it! The party is in less than two weeks.

Thank You

14 replies
shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:05pm
post #2 of 15

I've got one in my gallery. Honestly, I wasn't that happy with it, but some of the elements may help give you ideas. The one part that came out how I wanted was the molded buzzards, I thought they were cool.
Good luck!

Daniellemhv Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks Shelbur, your cake looks great!! I love the buzzards

amymichele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amymichele Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 15

What about making the wonder mold cake iced in green with the couple, one just on one side of the hill pulling the other up over (since one will be 50 and the other just almost there). I think this would be cute.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 15

OMG! I was looking for cakes yesterday on Wilton and saw this one on accident called "Time Slips Away" It is perfect for the grave thing! And the one in the pic is for a regular two layer but you can totally expand it! I hope this helps! GOOD LUCK! thumbs_up.gif

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/bday/timeslipsaway.cfm

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 15

I was thinking the same thing about over the hill, you can still add other stuff if they are really interested in the graveyard stuff. That always makes me screech - graveyard is for Halloween.
I've done 2, 50's cakes now for my aunt and then for my neighbors and Manage to make them sunny and happy Celbrations. Check out my pictures. Patchwork and basket cake on a green hill!

I just googled: over the hill cake 50

In the images there were a few ideas one with a vulture over a grave that was actually not bad!

Good Luck

Good Luck.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 15

Daniellemhv-by the way! Love your cookies and your cakes ideas!

Was it you that was about to go into business with the guy that would let you be in the store but he was going to price everything? I know that sounds vague but, I thought you had that thing going on?
How IS It going?(if that's you?) icon_biggrin.gif

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymichele

What about making the wonder mold cake iced in green with the couple, one just on one side of the hill pulling the other up over (since one will be 50 and the other just almost there). I think this would be cute.

I was thinking the exact same thing. You can still ice the cake in BC, but make the couple out of fondant. Whichever ages first can be the one pulling the other.

Uberhipster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uberhipster Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 15

I did an over-the-hill cake, but didn't want to do anything morbid - I know you're leaning towards gravesites, but if you want to consider anything lighter, check out the cake I did:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=Uberhipster&cat=0&pos=15

It was SUPER easy to make.

Good luck!

kakeladee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladee Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 15

Hi,

I did a tomb stone cake for my BIL - it's in my pictures. The cobble stones are rolled buttercream - which you could do in fondant. It's not the best looking, but I haven't done many. Maybe the cobblestones might give you an idea to use - no matter what you do. You could still put volchures (sp ?) at the top of the cake if you like.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 3:37pm
post #11 of 15

How's about the typical graveyard with the tombstone that says "Over the Hill" with a couple under a blanket with only their feet showing. Something like this: http://www.cakesbyamym.com/. It's at the bottom right corner of the page. Or instead of putting the blanket, you just let their feet stick out as if they were coming out of the ground icon_lol.gif gross but I hope this helps.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 29 Mar 2007 , 2:02am
post #12 of 15

Not sure if you found something yet, but I came accross this website looking for 1st communion ideas.

She does beautiful stuff and mostly buttercream.
She has a section on over the hill they are cute and not all the typical graveyard.

http://www.jeneva.com/birthdaycakes/index.htm

Good luck.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberhipster

I did an over-the-hill cake, but didn't want to do anything morbid - I know you're leaning towards gravesites, but if you want to consider anything lighter, check out the cake I did:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=Uberhipster&cat=0&pos=15
It was SUPER easy to make.
Good luck!

Uberhipster,
Love your cake!! It's so cute. I don't know why people are so fixated on tombstones (kinda morbid). I like the support cakes with the bra. For some reason, I'm just dying to make one. Anyway, if they've asked for tombstones, I guess that's what they'll get. I do think that the cake with the person trying to dig out of the grave is quite funny.
Good luck!

Daniellemhv Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 5:52am
post #14 of 15

Thanks Everyone for your great ideas! I decided to do mmf fondant anyway. I think it came out really great! I am uploading the photos in a few minutes so I will post it here

Daniellemhv Posted 1 Apr 2007 , 9:18am
post #15 of 15

Okay so here is the cake I did. The picture does NOT do this cake justice. It was beautiful. I don't usually like to rave about my own cakes but It turned out better than expected. I never did figure modeling before so I was really nervous. The rocks looked incredible in person, my BF made them for me and placed them around the cake so I could have time to take a shower before the party. He was really proud of them. I had a hard time taking good pictures because it was dark and the flash was never right.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-354933.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%