How Do I Get A Smooth Surface On My Bc?

Decorating By mommabeaver25 Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 1:56pm by Melvira

mommabeaver25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabeaver25 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:39am
post #1 of 17

This is the first cake I'm doing with buttercream. I always use fondant just because it's so easy to get a smooth surface. so what is the trick to getting a smooth surface and making it look professional?

16 replies
Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:43am
post #3 of 17

There are a couple of different methods that people use on here. I think it's just finding the one that works best for you. There's the Melvira Method (smoothing w/ a paint roller) Viva Method (smoothing with Viva papertowels) hot spatula, or printer paper.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:44am
post #4 of 17

Lots of techniques are out there and you're going to get some very good advice from other CC'ers.

I'm a BC-only baker. Your icing should be a good spreadable consistency ... not too stiff. A turntable is a must. Just a few weeks ago, I started using the 4-6" metal paint scraper tool ( a tip I learned on this site!) and it is fabulous!!!!!!! Spin and go! It's great for smoothing the top of the cake too. After the icing crusts, if there are any rough spots, I use some parchment or wax paper to smooth it down. Other advice you will get are the Viva method and the Melvira Method (do a search for LOTS of threads on these).

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:46am
post #6 of 17

My recommendation is the Melvira method. I learned the viva and wax paper methods in class and they work but they are a lot of work compared to Melvira method, AND, I get my cakes smoother with this method as well. icon_smile.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:49am
post #7 of 17

Be careful with some of these methods. It depends on the type of buttercream you are using. I use IMBC and the paper towel method would not work for this type of frosting. I use a bench scraper type product for this frosting.
Jacqui

Crystal13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crystal13 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:56am
post #8 of 17

I always use buttercream when I bake too...love the Viva paper towel method. Definitely works best with thin consistency (I add the full 2tbsp of water to icing)...after icing, let it crust for a bit - you can usually tell immediately if it needs more time to crust - the paper towel will stick to the icing a bit. I start on the top of the cake then use my turntable while smoothing the sides. I use gentle, smooth side to side motion with my four fingers together, making sure my hand is flat. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Renelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renelle Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:58am
post #9 of 17

Definitely...Hands down...Without a doubt or second thought....Melvira's method..the paint roller. I have been decorating for 25 years and have always hated to smooth buttercream...until now. Try it, you'll never do it any other way!

THANKS MELVIRA!!!!!

beleos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beleos Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:53am
post #10 of 17

can anyone tell me what the melvira method is i understand you use a paint roller, but how? and what kind of roller is needed?

polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:09am
post #11 of 17

there is an article describing the melvira method...you can do a search and it should come up....

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:10am
post #12 of 17

a dense foam roller- at least 4-6 " long, i bought mine (rubbermaid) from walmart in the paint aisle for a few bucks. once the icing crusts (5-10 minutes) just GENTLY roll over the cake. if you push too hard, you'l l displace the icing, but done just right and you'll smooth creases and bubbles and it looks so much better.

polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:11am
post #13 of 17
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:22am
post #14 of 17

Melysa, I just got my high-density rollers a couple of days ago and I can't wait to use them! I am anticipating great results because I have seen alot of threads where everyone is raving about Melvira's Method! Wish me luck you guys!! YEPPIE!!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:32am
post #15 of 17

I use the craper to apply my paint and then use the Melvira method. I love using the roller. However the first time I let it crust too long and the roller didn't do anything!! oops! Now I only let my BC crust till I can touch it lightly (with fingertip) and not stick at all.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:33am
post #16 of 17

oops that is SCRAPER not craper! icon_redface.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:56pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renelle

Definitely...Hands down...Without a doubt or second thought....Melvira's method..the paint roller. I have been decorating for 25 years and have always hated to smooth buttercream...until now. Try it, you'll never do it any other way!

THANKS MELVIRA!!!!!

That is the most awesome thing to read as the first post of the morning! You are WELCOME!!!

For those of you still experimenting, the best part is... if you like the finish you get with Viva, you can combine the two methods and it just makes the Viva method easier and faster to use the roller!! I know there are some die-hard Viva fans, and I'd never try to take away their paper towels!! But different methods can be used in combination to find the best method for each person! You just have to find what you like and go with it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%