How To Smooth A Cake Without Spackling 4 Inches Of Icing!

Decorating By cakelady5 Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 3:12pm by Jopalis

cakelady5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady5 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone, I have a serious question that I hope can be answered... like all of you I like my cakes to be as smooth as glass, the major problem is that when my cakes are served to adults (they really appreciate how nice they look) they have a hard time digesting the globuals of icing I use to make them look that way. I need some tips of the trade on still having a nice smooth cake, but cutting back on the icing. I HATE when you can see cake through, or when bits of cake are on my icing and it takes as long to toothpick them out as it does to decorate the cake! The idea that more icing makes level-ing and symetrical-ing work makes sense to me...!!! Hope you have MANY tips, because I will try them all!!! sue icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 11

First thing, use a crumb coat so that you don't end up with all the crumbs you have to pick out. If you're not picking out as many crumbs, maybe you won't have to put as much frosting on the outside.

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 11

I still have some trouble getting my tops smooth. My sides are okay (I'm still practicing). I want to try the Melvira method as well as the method of using one of those bench scraper type things you get from the hardware store. I've heard wonderful things about those methods.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 11

Some people use tip 789 instead of crumb coating. It's like hitting two birds with one stone icon_lol.gif

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 11

I HIGHLY recommend using Wilton's 789 tip w/ bag. It frosts like a dream w/o crumbs. I start on the top and then go to the bottom and work up. I then let dry for about 15 minutes and I go to town smoothing w/ a viva paper towel. I spend more time smoothing than I do frosting as I like smooth as glass cakes. HTH.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:24am
post #6 of 11

crumb coating is the first step. a turntable and one of those wide 4-6" tools found in the paint dept is the best I"ve ever used. After it's all smooth and it's crusted well, I will use parchment paper to smooth out any spots, but seriously, since I switched to the 4-6" metal scraper, it's a one-step deal now. Your icing shouldn't be super stiff. Stiff icing is for flowers. Icing-icing should be a little thinner for easy spreading.

I agree with you .... I don't like getting a piece of cake that is all icing. Probably because I'm an icing snob and only like mine icon_redface.gificon_wink.gif

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:01am
post #7 of 11

I am new to the site---been lurking for a week or two (so much to see!! icon_biggrin.gif ) I think of crumb coating a cake as...putting your icing on and then putting...oh, shredded coconut all over it. Did that make sense? So I'm wondering if someone will be a little more clear what they mean by crumb coating?? I'm guessing just a thin coat of icing that might have crumbs in it but allows you to put another layer on it...cleanly and smoothly.

Thanks!
Sandi

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:08am
post #8 of 11

Sandi, a crumb coat is just a thin layer of icing .... a preliminary coat. You can usually see the cake thru it. What this does is seal in the cake and helps prevent the cake crumbs from getting into the final ice-job.

Once this crumb coating has "set" (put it in the refrigerator to speed up the setting), then you can apply the final coat of icing and it will be crumb free. The crumb coat can also fill in the gaps on the cake, helping the final coat be as smooth as possible.

Hope that helps! Let me know if I just confused you more!

Here is a link I found with a pic showing how thin a crumb coat is.
http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking/cs/techniques/article/0,13803,233045-233030-2,00.html

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:12am
post #9 of 11

Thanks, indydebi! That's kind of what I was thinking but I wanted to be sure! I'm not more confused....at least about the subject! icon_lol.gif
Sandi

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:25am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

crumb coating is the first step. a turntable and one of those wide 4-6" tools found in the paint dept is the best I"ve ever used. After it's all smooth and it's crusted well, I will use parchment paper to smooth out any spots, but seriously, since I switched to the 4-6" metal scraper, it's a one-step deal now. Your icing shouldn't be super stiff. Stiff icing is for flowers. Icing-icing should be a little thinner for easy spreading.

I agree with you .... I don't like getting a piece of cake that is all icing. Probably because I'm an icing snob and only like mine icon_redface.gificon_wink.gif

i agree, a turntable and a scraper (that is taller than the cake). you can ice with the 789 or even a star tip all over, then take your scraper, set it at the base of the cake straight up and down, then give it a full turn, without letting up or stopping. the icing will rise up above the top, then gently smooth from the top outer edges to the middle of the cake. any extra icing that builds up on the scraper can be removed from the cake. after icing, i like to use a roller (ie: melvira roller method) if it needs any smoothing. another thing i thought of to avoid so many crumbs is to allow your cake to cool and settle (wrapped) overnight or at least several hours before torting or icing. the cake will tighten up and you'll have less crumbs as you ice. also, make sure your pans are straight edges (up and down- no angle) and you'll have less gaps to fill in with extra icing!

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 11

Crumb coat, let it dry and then put on other coat. Try the roller method when cake is just not too tacky to the touch. It is great! "Our hearts are on fire... Melvira".... Melvira Method rocks! icon_cool.gif I did it for my very first class cake. Was so excited I took pictures and posted with no decorations! My classmates were envious icon_lol.gif and my teacher was impressed. I got both size high density rollers at Home Depot. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%