Caribbean Black Cake Aka Jamaican Wedding Cake

Decorating By Shim Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 5:07pm by Shim

Shim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shim Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 12

HELP
I have a request for a Jamaican Wedding cake, I have the cake recipe but I am not sure how to ice it. These cakes are typically a rich fruit cake soaked in rum and are usually covered with some kind of paste then topped off with royal icing or fondant . Does anyone know what the paste is? or how to make it? or where to buy it? In the past I have I tried applying the royal icing without the paste but with disasterous results...the rum/wine soaked through the royal icing giving it a brownish color.

11 replies
darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 12

Is it marzipan your talking about?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 12

The black cake I have had was covered with marzipan, a sweetened almond paste.

It is one of my favorite cakes ever.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:07pm
post #4 of 12

Yes, the high oil content of the marzipan stops the liquid seeping through. Adds a nice flavour too.

I agree - one of the best cakes ever.

Cris.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 12

I also have heard this is almond paste or marzipan that is used. Shim, could I possibly get that recipe from you? I have always wanted a good one. You could PM it to me. icon_biggrin.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 12

Yummm I'd like it too! icon_smile.gif

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:01am
post #7 of 12

I would love to try it too! I love almond!!! The more the better! Please share if you don't mind!!
Thank you
~Heidi

glory2god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glory2god Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:36am
post #8 of 12

there's a recipe about a third of the way down in this post
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-139411-marzipan.html

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 12:38am
post #9 of 12

Ok, I am from Trinidad and Tobago, and Black Fruit Cake is also very traditional as a wedding cake choice here on my island.....
Definitely, the cake MUST be covered in MARZIPAN (almond paste) and this can be purchased in the US from most grocery chains in the baking department. The brand I purchase is Odense, and it comes in two colours, natural or yellow....either is fine, just a matter of choice. It must first be kneaded on an icing-sugar dusted surface, and rolled out about 1/4 thick as in doing fondant. Should be left to airdry for at least 24 hours. When covering with fondant always apply a thin layer of 'adhesive' - usually Apricot Glaze, home-made sugar syrup, corn syrup, etc. - onto the marzipan surface, top and sides, BEFORE laying the fondant. I guess when doing Royal or Buttercreme, just a little brushed water would do.....but never used marzipan with royal or buttercreme.!!!!
Because of the moisture content of this type of cake (almost like plum pudding) without the 'barrier' of marzipan, it would be virtually impossible to maintain a 'white' icing of any kind - plus I believe the alcohol content will break down the sugar content of the covering.
Good luck - and PM me for any further help....
Angie
p.s. most of the wedding cakes in my posting, are done using black fruit cake....

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:07am
post #10 of 12

anjienajjar, you cakes are fabulous, your work is awesome. You are so talented & a great inspiration.
I am so glad to be able to say this here, as I sometimes have a great problem trying to leave comments in the actual gallery.

Shim Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 4:53pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for sharing ... I will go shopping for the marzipan. icon_biggrin.gif

Shim Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 12

I will take Angie's advice and buy the ready made marzipan but for those of you who feel adventurous you may want to try the following recipes I found on the internet. I have never done it myself, if you do and it works please share your success stories.

The following recipe was taken from http://www.marzipancakes.com/recipes.htm

Commercial marzipan is more frequently used for modelling as it is less coarse and less sticky than home made marzipan, therefore easier to work with. Here are some marzipan recipes for all those who want to try and make their own marzipan at home.

Marzipan recipe 1: Uncooked home made marzipan
(this marzipan recipe is good for preparing modelling marzipan)

500g (16 oz) sifted icing sugar (confectioner's sugar)
450g ( 1lb) ground almonds
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla flavoring marzipan book
1 tsp lemon juice

Sift the icing sugar in a bowl with the ground almonds. Add the remaining ingredients and mix to make a stiff paste. Knead until smooth. (As a substitute to raw eggs it is possible to use a little water mixed with brandy to bind the paste).

Marzipan recipe 2: Cooked home made marzipan
(this marzipan recipe is good for preparing modelling marzipan but it will turn out slightly stickier than the uncooked marzipan)

225g (8oz) granulated sugar
180g (6oz) ground almonds
40g (11/2 oz) icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
pinch of cream of tartar
1 egg white, lightly whisked
5 tbsp water
1\\2 tsp vanilla extract

Put the sugar and the water in a heavy based saucepan and cook on a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add cream of tarter and bring to the boil until the sugar reaches 116oC (240oF)- soft ball stage. Remove from the heat and mix the mixture until it turns cloudy, then add ground almonds and vanilla extract. Add to the pan the egg white and return to a low heat and stir for a couple of minutes.

Place the icing sugar on to a marble surface and pour over the mixture. Work in the icing sugar with a palate knife. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap until cooled. Once cooled knead the mixture until smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%