What Cake Did You Do For Our Wilton I Final Cake?

Decorating By fragglerock1 Updated 24 Mar 2007 , 2:55am by Bitzidee

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 15

I was looking in the cake classes gallery and I'm getting more and more discouraged because my cake is not going to look near as good as those. Ugh, my crappy teacher just said to pick a cake out of the book to make. Right now I think I'll do the pastel petals, I can do the flowers because stars is one of the few things she did teach us and I'll just wing the leaves and stems because we haven't learned those yet and I'm pretty sure we're not going to learn it in the last class either. This sucks, I should not be dreading this, I should be having fun.

14 replies
fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 15

Ooh also do you think I can get away with bringing my own BC recipe instead of the class recipe? My instructor has been insisting that we use the Wilton all Crisco recipe and my family won't eat it because they've had the BC Dream recipe and they won't go back! :lol Do you think she'd notice?

sugarfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfancy Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 15

I don't see why you couldn't make your own icing, you are paying for the class and it's up to you if you want to use the Wilton one or not. Might as well make the one that you family likes, you are not going to throw it away, that would hurt.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 15

It doesn't matter what BC you use. What's important is you do the techniques that were taught... if there were any icon_lol.gif You know what, just read you book and practice at home. I did much better practicing at home than in class. If she doesn't teach you the leaves, you always have us to help you out thumbs_up.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 15

My final cake is in my pictures. it is the one with yellow flowers on top. I wasn't that thrilled with it because I wasn't happy with the roses.

oops, I just looked in my photos, I did the clown cake for the final of class one, the rose one was for class 2. icon_surprised.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 15

Hi!

First thing....leaves are very easy. My favorite leaf tip is 352. Once you use it, you can't go back. Much easier than a 67 or 68 tip. She might be waiting to teach the leaves on the last day of class.

What is she going to do to you if you use the buttercream recipe you want to use instead of the Wilton one? Don't even bother telling her what you iced your cake in.

You may want to pipe the flowers with the Wilton recipe, though since it holds up better.

Good luck to you.

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 15

We have to do a cake with roses and some other flower she will teach us. I am having a lot of trouble making the roses so I don't know how I am going to pull this off come next Tuesday. Don't really have alot of time to practice them this week icon_sad.gif

pieface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieface Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 15

I say, take your recipe! Your instructor should mind, if she's anything like mine. Plus, you want a cake your family would eat , right?
Don't worry about your cake and measuring up to others here on CC. I'm a newbie, so I know you see some cakes here and feel so small. Word of advice...have fun. Don't stress out about it. Whatever cake you decide to make, don't get discouraged if it doesn't come out picture perfect. Again...HAVE FUN!! icon_rolleyes.gif

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 15

Don't get discouraged! This is meant to be fun! If you don't feel that your teacher is very helpful, why not try practicing at home, following the instructions in the book. As far as which cake to do, if she said you can choose any of the cakes in the book, then I'd suggest doing the one that uses techniques you feel most comfortable with.

I (and my family) also won't eat the class BC recipe, so for my final cake, I iced the cake using my own BC recipe and just used the class one for decorations, which we could scrape off the top when eating the cake (the roses needed the sturdier icing, but if you're doing stars, you can probably use your own recipe for the whole thing, then you'll enjoy eating it more too!). How is your instructor going to know any different (unless she tastes it, of course! LOL)

Kelly

p.s. I just looked at your photos, and your cookies are gorgeous!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 15

Definitely take your own recipe. I used my own because I knew that was what I was going to be using so I have to figure out how to work with that, not the Wilton recipe.

As for the cake, I wanted to practice/perfect lots of different things, so my final cake was so not the prettiest one, but I used it to practice techniques - I figured that was the perfect opportunity.

***Edited to make sense. yes, the editor in me came out.*

have_your_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
have_your_cake Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:57pm
post #11 of 15

I say use whatever icing you want. It's not a taste test, it's to see if you can do the skills from the course.

angelas2babies is right, the foolproof leaf tip is the way to go. remember to practice a few off the cake so you know just how to hold it. Also if you add a little piping gel to your icing before piping the stems the frosting will be more flexible and smooth, not as likely to break.

Don't get discouraged and be sure to ask who the instructor is before you sign up for course II icon_smile.gif A good instructor in course II will catch you up on anything you missed out in course I.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 15

mine in my photos:

Bible cake w/ spray of roses, empty cross in front of rising sun, Easter message, book mark w/ fringe and little crosses down it.

(naw, my last class wasn't the week before Easter, now was it??)

MommyBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyBunny Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 7:52pm
post #13 of 15

I actually had to do 3 cakes that she called the "final" cake. The final cake for Class II was the rainbow,for Class III was clowns, for Class IV was a rose bouquet.

Use the class as practice, that's what makes perfect.

Patricia

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 12:09am
post #14 of 15

I had to do the same three cakes as thumperbunny. Remember you are there to learn what you can, take home the supplies and practice. I was horrible at daffodils, my girlfriend couldnt do a rose, so for the class, we switched! But we went home and practiced. It does get better.

Bitzidee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bitzidee Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:55am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragglerock1

I was looking in the cake classes gallery and I'm getting more and more discouraged because my cake is not going to look near as good as those. Ugh, my crappy teacher just said to pick a cake out of the book to make. Right now I think I'll do the pastel petals, I can do the flowers because stars is one of the few things she did teach us and I'll just wing the leaves and stems because we haven't learned those yet and I'm pretty sure we're not going to learn it in the last class either. This sucks, I should not be dreading this, I should be having fun.

I did the roses cake for Class 1 and the basket cake for Class 2. My rose cake was not great, I don't like the wilton recipe buttercream, no matter how many different ways I made it the edges of my roses cracked. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%