Baking By selecia Updated 7 Nov 2006 , 10:38pm by susanscakebabies

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 10:13pm
post #31 of 51

Thanks!

sugartopped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugartopped Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 10:19pm
post #32 of 51

another good liquid to use is the flavored syrups they use for Cappuccino's. there are so many diff. flavors w/these!!! i got a few of them in the coffee isle at walmart and a few i got a specialty store!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 10:20pm
post #33 of 51

freddie - thanks for all of the flavor combo suggestions!! I can't wait to try some of them. The most adventurous I've gotten is chocolate cake bound with bc icing with peppermint extract added, dipped in white candy melts. At Christmas, I sprinkled red and green sugar on top. They were a hit.

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 10:32pm
post #34 of 51

Your welcome ps3884, yours sound yummy, I love a taste of mint. I just see what cake crumbs I have around, what leftover icings and fillings and whats in the cupboard to top it up. Fruit syrups also make a great binder with chocolate cake. Basically you just make a combinations of your favorite flavors. The only thing you have to watch is that you don't add to much binder. Aside from that be creative if the flavors are good and go together the Balls will be great !!! Although I call mine Sweet Bites, sounds better than cake balls to me !

maxiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxiecakes Posted 4 Mar 2006 , 12:40am
post #35 of 51

We call them '' Minuets'' Sounds Real Classy! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

actually I don't like calling them 'Cake Balls'' either

spottydog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spottydog Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 9:00pm
post #36 of 51

Ok....Tried these "cake balls" icon_confused.gif . Are they supposed to be mushy inside or did I use too much buttercream to mi the cake with? And why is it taking SOOOOO much time for the chocolate to harden???? Any help or suggestions???? icon_cry.gif TIA, Lisa
LL

spottydog Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 9:06pm
post #37 of 51

Anyone? Yeah I'm bumping myself icon_smile.gif

freddie Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 10:36pm
post #38 of 51

Hey Spottydog,
Not sure how much binder you put in, mine are not at all mushy but I just put enough binder for the crumbs to stick together, for 2 cups of crumbs I add 2 or 3 Tablespoons binder just enough so I can scoop them in a melon baller and with a little pressure get them to stick. I don't like them mushy mine are more brownie like in center than soft truffle. They are always popular.

Can't help with the Chocolate as I never had any problem with it hardening, but you can put them in the fridge for a few minutes if need be. It could be also how thick your coating was.

More important how do they taste ???

spottydog Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 12:21am
post #39 of 51

They tasted great just mushy. I definetly put way too much in if those are the normal porportions. Cake was like cookie dough after I mixed it up. Thankyou for the help. I will try less!! icon_smile.gif

eleets_treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eleets_treats Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 11:24am
post #40 of 51

i gotta try these, just wondering if theres an alternative to canned frosting? im in australia and no where sells canned frosting. is it just like buttercream? im not a fan of buttercream.

could they be made with cake crumbs and caramel filling? they sell that in cans here.

ive worked in a bakery where they mixed cake scraps with cocoa powder, coconut, jam and rum esscence, rolled them in coconut and called them rum balls, eeewww!!!!!!!

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 1 Oct 2006 , 9:09pm
post #41 of 51

Can you make these ...the cake and icing mixed...make the balls and just roll them in cocoa powder or confectioner's sugar?

freddie Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 9:39am
post #42 of 51

Sure you can make them without the chocolate and roll them in cocoa or icing sugar. The combinations too make these are endless. Caramel filling is great too, I have made them with Vanilla Caramel Cake crumbs and caramel filling with a center of chewy caramel and then dipped in chocolate, too yummy ! Basically if they are made with cake crumbs and formed into a ball they are cake balls and whatever combination you use is up to your own imagination and tastebuds !!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 12:08pm
post #43 of 51

I havent made these yet, but I am gearing up to try as I have a screwed up cake in the freezer. Has anyone tried adding baileys? I thought maybe chocolate cake with a little chocolate buttercream and some baileys might be good. So I shouldnt add too much liquid or BC then?

cakeladywalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladywalker Posted 3 Oct 2006 , 1:10pm
post #44 of 51

Instead, I save the scraps and layer them in parfait glasses with various puddings, fillings, and whipped toppings. They'll eat that.[/quote]

That's how we eat scraps too!!!! Sometimes if I have baked ALOT, I'll freeze scraps. Then I have them when I need a throw together SCRAP CAKE. thumbs_up.gif

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 2:13am
post #45 of 51

Thanks Christie for posting that great tutorial. I have an anniversary party coming up for a lge crows so that might be a good idea with the cake.

bransmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bransmom Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 3:47pm
post #46 of 51

How do you guys get yours so pretty? I have added the Crisco to thin the chocolate. How do you dip yours? I freeze mine and then dip with a toothpick, but then I have that whole in the top. Any suggestions? TIA

oneposhbabychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneposhbabychef Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:34pm
post #47 of 51

I've never made cake balls but it sounds like a really good idea. Question though.

Can you buy the Wilton Candy and melt it and then dip the cake balls in that? Or what are you all using to dip the balls in?

missnnaction Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missnnaction Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 5:41pm
post #48 of 51

yes, you can dip them using the candy melts and I also dip mine using a toothpick or a skewer... the little hole can go on the bottom or when you can cover it with a lil' chocolate.

badgerang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badgerang Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 9:47pm
post #49 of 51

eleets-I don't use buttercream/frosting/icing in mine. Just the cake scraps, some nuts or choc. chips, powdered sugar and the liquid coffee creamer. Just be sure to add the liquid a little at a time so they don't get too mushy. Just last night I used carrott cake, vanilla chai coffee creamer, crushed walnuts and rolled them in powdered sugar. Yum!

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 10:18pm
post #50 of 51

Great topic!!! I've never done these but have heard of them on the site... I will be doing a craft show in the next 2 weeks I think I will make cake balls to give out, they sound really easy to make...
Thanks Freddy for your post alot of useful info thumbs_up.gif

susanscakebabies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakebabies Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 10:38pm
post #51 of 51

OMG I just made my first cake balls. I had left over cake from cupcakes I carved and Thought it would go to waste like usual. But now I know what to do with them. I split the batch in half. It was chocolate cake so I did half with Cherry icing and the other half with Coconut Pecan. Then coated them all with bittersweet chocolate. Very rich, yet quite yummy. Thanks again! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%