Help! Do Not Want Seperator Plates To Show.

Decorating By sweetexpressions Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 7:27pm by indydebi

sweetexpressions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetexpressions Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:42am
post #1 of 10

I have a large cake to make the first weekend in May. It will be 4 tier 14,12,10 &8. The groom also wants a printing press cake but that is a totally different subject!!! I am just curious how I can get that smooth no seperator plate look!! I have always read to go 2 inches with your plates should I only go 1 inch bigger? What's the trick?

9 replies
Nadya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadya Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:20am
post #2 of 10

I don't know for sure but I 've read somewhere that the plates should be just a little bit smaller than the cake you are putting on them. I would like to know the right way myself.

nancys_world Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancys_world Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:27am
post #3 of 10

I don't use seperator plates for stacked cakes, just cake boards (and now I'm going to plexiglass boards instead for stability).

Sumkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sumkat Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:30am
post #4 of 10

where do you get plexi glass boards and do you have to cut them yourself or do they come pre sized?

nancys_world Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancys_world Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:45am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumkat

where do you get plexi glass boards and do you have to cut them yourself or do they come pre sized?

I cut them myself. I just did a set of squares this weekend. But I think someone found ones pre-made. let me check the thread from before and get back to you.

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 10

I use foam board cut slightly smaller than the cake and wrapped. It is thick enough for stability and light enough for the cake. I have no problems it.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 10

Is the cake you're doing stacked or tiered? I attempted a tiered cake with no seperator plates showing and ended up putting the frosted cake on a seperator plate the same size as the cake, filled in on the bottom with buttercream, then covered cake in fondant and wrapped the fondant under the seperator plate.

~Chelle

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 10

Milal, what do you cover the foam board with?

milal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milal Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 10

I use clear contact paper or a plastic table cloth, cut to size, if the plate is not going to be seen, it doesn't have to match.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 7:27pm
post #10 of 10

All of my cakes have plastic plates between the layers, whether they are stacked or tiered. I use the smooth edged plates (not the scalloped edged ones) and I use the same size as the cake .... 10" cake on a 10" cardboard on a 10" plate. When I arrive at the sight and assemble the cakes, I add the border which covers any exposed plate/board just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%