My Cat Jumped On My Cat Today.

Decorating By mom2seven Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 3:14am by booberfrog

mom2seven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2seven Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:33am
post #1 of 35

I'm Very new here (been lurking for a while) and very new to making cakes. Anyway this was cake number 5 (not counting any cakes for my family) and it's going to my kids school in the morning. Well I get done with the frosting and just get ready to start putting flowers on the cake and I turn my back and hear this odd sound and the cat running from the kitchen. I turn around to see a deep paw print in the middle of my cake icon_cry.gif

I was able to fix it by digging out the paw print and filled it with frosting. I'm so glad it didn't happen any later, it would have been very hard to clean up the mess and fix it after the flowers had been added.

Julie

34 replies
phoenix13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoenix13 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 1:51am
post #2 of 35

Was it a cat cake? Thats kind of funny icon_biggrin.gif At least you were able to repair it.

mthiberge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mthiberge Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:16am
post #3 of 35

You're still serving it to PEOPLE???

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:22am
post #4 of 35

yeah, I gotta echo that. That's not really something you can fix. I'd have thrown it out and started over.

mom2seven Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:24am
post #5 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthiberge

You're still serving it to PEOPLE???

icon_lol.gif Yes, I cleaned out ALL of the part the cat touched, it's a free cake icon_wink.gif

Aliwis000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aliwis000 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:25am
post #6 of 35

I have to agree with those who say you shouldn't have served that. What if the people have allergies?

mthiberge Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:30am
post #7 of 35

Sorry I cook for a living and that's not cool, free or not...Especially if it's for kids. Accidents happen to all of us, you just have to say bugger and toss it.

glory2god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glory2god Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:30am
post #8 of 35

i wouldn't want a cake that the cat attacked....free or not.

kakeladee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladee Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:33am
post #9 of 35

I can't believe you're serving that to people. Oh my goodness, I don't know what to say. I personally think that is the worst, whether or not you're getting money for it. So your thinking is, if I'm getting paid, it's not okay; but if it is free . . . then it is perfectly fine. Either it is fine or not, it can't be both. This makes me glad that I make my own cakes. Sorry, but I think that is wrong no matter how you look at it.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:33am
post #10 of 35

It is a good idea not to serve a cake your cat was in contact with. I would not want to be served a cake knowing this information.

Sorry for being so blunt.

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #11 of 35

If the cake is served to people, they should be told about the incident, most people would decide not to eat the cake. Someone could get seriously ill.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:36am
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

yeah, I gotta echo that. That's not really something you can fix. I'd have thrown it out and started over.

EGADS!! DITTO!!

adamt01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamt01 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:39am
post #13 of 35

As an owner of TWO siberian huskies and a pomeranian that constantly sheds more fur than I care to mention...

The cake should be tossed. That cat stepped in a litter box! Gross..

Fur travels too. The cat shouldn't be in the room when you're in the kitchen. Fur flies EVERYWHERE. Believe me, I'm queen of the clean kitchen when I'm preparing ANY food for people. I just don't want that kind of reputation of having "stuff" in my food. IMHO...

mom2seven Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:42am
post #14 of 35

OK, Maybe most of you don't understand the whole thing. My cake was on the counter and my cat jumped up on it (not seeing the cake there 1st) and one paw hit the cake. I cleaned off ALL of the icing from that spot (and about 2in more all the way around that spot). The cat didn't even walk over the cake. The ladies at the school know I have a cat and there aren't any allergies to cats in this group.

Sugarbean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbean Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:45am
post #15 of 35

I'm sorry, but I still would have tossed the cake...

Aliwis000 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:46am
post #16 of 35

I still stand by the original statements. If the paw was in the middle of the cake that means the body of the cat was over the cake, you cant see germs and repairing what you can see doesnt get read of everything else.

Just my thoughts
~Alicia

mthiberge Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:47am
post #17 of 35

LITTER BOX + CAT FEET = GROSS!!

kakeladee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladee Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:49am
post #18 of 35

I think you missed the point everyone was trying to make . . . your cat - whole walks on his paws, all over your house (maybe outside), in the litter box (maybe the garage) stepped in your cake. The ladies might know that you have a cat, but do they know that the cat stepped in the cake? And you say it's okay because it is a free cake. Either you believe this acceptable or you don't. Whether or not you're getting paid for it, should not matter. Your cat stepped in the cake. Alot of people let their cats eat off the plates they eat on. They might wash them in between, but they allow this. And I know dogs (not to change the subject) have cleaner mouths than humans, but their paws - where have their paws been? I just am glad I make my own cakes - I'm sorry. This is my belief. And everyone is entitled to their own belief's. Sorry, I still feel it is wrong.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:52am
post #19 of 35

Ew.

kdkamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdkamp Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:54am
post #20 of 35

I agree that the cake needs to be thrown away. I understand that the cat jumped up and touched the cake, but you can't serve that. You just can't do that even if it's free. If you don't have time to make another one, purchase a premade one at the store. Also, I'm sure everyone would understand why you didn't bring it if you told them what happened.

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:56am
post #21 of 35

I'm sorry, I think most of us fully understand it was a complete accident (stuff happens), but it is unsanitary to serve any food item that a pet has had contact with. I won't even serve something to a non-family member if my nephews stick there hand in something, and absolutely not a pet.

Schools in North Texas will no longer accept outside food items for children and I understand why.

Would you want to go to your favorite restaurant and find out a bird accidentally stepped in your mashed potatoes and they removed the stepped in spot?

If you tell the adults you are serving that your cat stepped in it and they are okay with it, then fine. But I would not serve to a child.

bananaslug14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananaslug14 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 2:59am
post #22 of 35

Okay mabey I'm crazy but I have a cat and I wouldnt mind eating a cake that had a cat step on it. the family dog once ate 1/5 of the side of a waterfall cake i made for my sisters birthday and I just cut off all of the dog eaten parts (and then some) fixed it up and nobody got sick.

good luck withe the cake

-Samantha

adamt01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamt01 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:00am
post #23 of 35

...and I wonder if you are the type to make a big fit over a worker's hair in your food at a restaurant... Hair, fur, bugs...it's all the same, in my opinion. It's just nasty, when it's in food.

And this is why we need regulations on home bakeries. Do whatever you want...but I still think it should be tossed.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:02am
post #24 of 35

Not to go down an ugly, deep, dark, alligator infested path here, but I wonder why it is that the health department has so many rules on licensing home bakers. icon_rolleyes.gif

glory2god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glory2god Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:03am
post #25 of 35

i would never sell someone a cake that has been licked, stepped on, dropped....are you beginning to get the picture..........its nasty.....and you should not be selling or giving away cakes that have been compromised in any manner....just my opinion but if you will do it with a free cake then you will do it with one for sale....most people give free cakes to people they know, like. love, etc....so what would you sell to someone that you don't know

i'm sorry but this really bothers me.

kdkamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdkamp Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:03am
post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug14

Okay mabey I'm crazy but I have a cat and I wouldnt mind eating a cake that had a cat step on it. the family dog once ate 1/5 of the side of a waterfall cake i made for my sisters birthday and I just cut off all of the dog eaten parts (and then some) fixed it up and nobody got sick.

good luck withe the cake

-Samantha

If she wouldn't mind eating after it then keep the cake to herself and send a new one.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:03am
post #27 of 35

OK all I have to say is EWWWW! I know that one of the main things they tell you when you get pregnant is to not change the litter box because theres stuff in cat poop that makes you REALLY sick. Cat+cat feet+litter box=TEN TONS OF BACTERIA. Should have tossed it and started over. Baking and frosting only take a couple hours and if you didn't have time..splurge on a store bought. I know thats sacreligious but its better than cat cake. thumbsdown.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:04am
post #28 of 35

Wow I see this going bad fast.

I would start new but that is just me so I will not tell you what to do.

Stuff happens and I find people hair in my food a many of times. I get grossed out by that.

cordy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cordy Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:05am
post #29 of 35

Personally I don't think its a big deal, if it were a cake I was making for friends or family I would do the exact same thing! I would scrape and refrost. I am NOT a germphobe, and wow, I have a VERY healthy family with amazing immune systems because they have been exposed to cooties. My cats and dogs are healthy and immunized regularly...we survived the Bubonic plague for a reason, we have the ability to resist germs. That said, it might be a good idea to tell the people you are serving the cake to the story and let them decide, I bet $100 most of them will still eat the cake!

Aliwis000 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:08am
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody25

OK all I have to say is EWWWW! I know that one of the main things they tell you when you get pregnant is to not change the litter box because theres stuff in cat poop that makes you REALLY sick. Cat+cat feet+litter box=TEN TONS OF BACTERIA. Should have tossed it and started over. Baking and frosting only take a couple hours and if you didn't have time..splurge on a store bought. I know thats sacreligious but its better than cat cake. thumbsdown.gif

I forgot about that the risk of infection with toxoplasmosis is very serious for pregnant women. If they were around cats and birds before they got pregnant then thier body is ok with this. However, if they catch this while they are pregnant the risk to the baby goes up. There are just too many risks you are taking by serving this cake.

Just my thoughts
~Alicia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%