Why Is The Color Separating From My Bc Frosting?

Decorating By VeganFencer Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 10:06pm by SuHwa

VeganFencer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VeganFencer Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 27

I'm using the Wilton basic buttercream frosting w/o meringue power (perhaps this is the problem...no powder?). My color is totally separating in not only the bag when I'm decorating, but also in the tupperware containers I'm storing the frosting in. Even my WHITE, uncolored frosting has small pools of moisture forming. It's not warm in my house, (65-70 degrees). So, I don't know what the deal is.

Does anyone know what could be happening?

26 replies
heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:50am
post #2 of 27

I dont know how to help you i've never had that problem but I will give you a bump maybe someone can help.

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:10am
post #3 of 27

I was taught that the mer. powder is a stabilizer. I use one T. per pound of powdered sugar. Add some to your BC and see what happens.

VeganFencer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 27

Can I use cream of tartar instead? I cannot eat eggs or dairy.

moniquerei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moniquerei Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 27

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to the question, but when I took the wilton class, my color seperated as well. Since I stopped using that frosting, I have not had that problem. So, I feel your pain icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 27

I don't use meringue power and I don't have a problem with it seperating. Is the color seperating or do you have white spots in it? Are you putting salt in it?

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 27

If you can't eat eggs, then just add plain cornstarch---1 t. per pound of sugar.

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 27

The only time I've had mine seperate is when they get too warm. Try leaving them in the fridge while you work with one color and take them out as you need them. HTH

VeganFencer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 27

I'm not putting salt in it. Should I be?

VeganFencer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by moniquerei

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to the question, but when I took the wilton class, my color seperated as well. Since I stopped using that frosting, I have not had that problem. So, I feel your pain icon_smile.gif

What recipe are you using now?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 27

I thought if you were putting salt in it maybe it was causing white spots but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sorry I can't be of more help.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:23pm
post #12 of 27

Not sure why this is happening. Forgive the question, but are you using candy coloring or the regular wilton paste colors? The only time I had this happen was when I put candy coloring in my BC instead of paste. What is the recipe you are using for the BC? - that may shed some light on the situation!

Chelle

VeganFencer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:26pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelleb1974

Not sure why this is happening. Forgive the question, but are you using candy coloring or the regular wilton paste colors? The only time I had this happen was when I put candy coloring in my BC instead of paste. What is the recipe you are using for the BC? - that may shed some light on the situation!

Chelle

I'm using the wilton colors (the ones that come in the little jars). But this is happening to my non-colored icing as well. I'm using the Wilton standard BC recipe.

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:28pm
post #14 of 27

Can you post your BC recipe here? Maybe that will give us some answers....

~Chelle

VeganFencer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:34pm
post #15 of 27

This is to make stiff consistency icing

1 C solid white veg shortening (using Crisco)
1 tsp Wilton flavor
2 Tblsp water
1 lb powdered sugar
1 Tblsp meringue powder (I'm not using this because I'm vegan)
A pinch of salt--optional (I'm omitting this as well)

Cream shortening, flavoring and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Blend an additional minute or so, until creamy.

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:35pm
post #16 of 27

I saw this happen a lot when people would make their thinned BC with water and then let it sit. They wouldn't rewhip it before class. I would try using milk or cream instead of the water. However, if you want to use the water, try re-whipping it before you use it.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:40pm
post #17 of 27

Maybe the water. That is what happend to me when I used water. I don't use it in my icing.

VeganFencer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:40pm
post #18 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by denette

I saw this happen a lot when people would make their thinned BC with water and then let it sit. They wouldn't rewhip it before class. I would try using milk or cream instead of the water. However, if you want to use the water, try re-whipping it before you use it.

I wonder if soymilk would be OK to use? I'm concerned about spoilage. Also, I'm definitely make this a day prior to class. However, it wouldn't be a problem to either rewhip and/or make the icing right before class.

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:41pm
post #19 of 27

That's the same recipe I use.....I wish I had an answer for you. My only suggestion would be to try creaming everything a little longer and then mixing a little longer once it is creamy. Please let us know if this works.....

~Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:42pm
post #20 of 27

Here's a thought......is your powdered sugar cane sugar or beet sugar?? It should say it on the package. I have read here on CC that beet sugar can act strange sometimes. Don't know if this might be the case or not....

VeganFencer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:43pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:

That's the same recipe I use.....I wish I had an answer for you. My only suggestion would be to try creaming everything a little longer and then mixing a little longer once it is creamy. Please let us know if this works.....

~Chelle

I was thinking that might be one of the reasons as well. I'm going to try tomorrow a combo of cream of tartar/cornstarch in place of the meringue powder, replace water with soymilk, and cream longer/mix longer.

Will let you all know the result. icon_smile.gif

VeganFencer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:45pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:

Here's a thought......is your powdered sugar cane sugar or beet sugar?? It should say it on the package. I have read here on CC that beet sugar can act strange sometimes. Don't know if this might be the case or not....

It actually doesn't say. But it's a thought. I generally was under the assumption that most powdered sugars are cane-based. Maybe I'm wrong. icon_confused.gif

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:48pm
post #23 of 27

Around here, all I've ever seen in Cane sugar, but wasn't sure about other parts of the country! Good luck!!

~Chelle

masarost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
masarost Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:58pm
post #24 of 27

That happened to me last week too - I think it was the "no-name" shortening I was using.

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 8:58pm
post #25 of 27

I've found that I had to use distilled water when I make my icings. Evidently, even though I have filtered water, it still had enough minerals in it to make the icing sepparate. I have found that all store bought distilled water wasn't equal though. It took me a couple of trys before I found one that worked.

VeganFencer Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 9:09pm
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuHwa

I've found that I had to use distilled water when I make my icings. Evidently, even though I have filtered water, it still had enough minerals in it to make the icing sepparate. I have found that all store bought distilled water wasn't equal though. It took me a couple of trys before I found one that worked.

What brand are you using?

SuHwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuHwa Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:06pm
post #27 of 27

I've had good luck with the Wal-Mart brand and the Nursery water (has a baby on the front, supposed to be used to reconstitute formula). I've had bad luck with the Kroger brand. It makes me wonder if it is distilled properly since it also left mineral scum in my baby bottle sterilizer, while the other two did not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%