How Do I Handle This Guy

Baking By mandze Updated 3 Mar 2006 , 7:38am by sgirvan

mandze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandze Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 10

So I am just starting to sell my cookies. Someone is reselling them at his icecream/cafe. I give him a few dozen once a week and told him to only sell for 3 days. Come to find out the ones I gave him last friday he still has out, and wanted to know why they were hard and not chewy.
I told him they only last 3 days, I guess he wants to get his money worth. I am charging him 70 cents a cookie, he is charging 95 for them. Now he says he is marking them down to 50 just to sell the few that are left. He is a new business owner and doesn't get much traffic yet especially in the winter. Just wondering what to do. I am not really making much money on his orders because they are only a few dozen a week and I am delivering. My hope is that business will pick up as does the orders in the spring.
Any suggestions on how to handle. Part of me just wants to say forget it. Too much work to deal with this.

9 replies
3inafternoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3inafternoon Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 10

I would put a big sticker on the back of the wapper stating the expiration date.

goodcakefairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodcakefairy Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 10

You may want to consider selling him fewer cookies. It may solve the problem of having too many leftovers.

I agree with the expiration date sticker idea. I would also give the shop owner some "day-old" stickers to let people know that the reason they're getting discounted cookies is that they're old and not up to your normal freshness standards. If the owner argues, tell him he's damaging your business and reputation by leaving the cookies out too long and selling them as if they're fresh. If he refuses, I wouldn't do business with him anymore.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3inafternoon

I would put a big sticker on the back of the wapper stating the expiration date.

I agree icon_smile.gif

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 10

Yes, great idea with the sticker!

I'd give it a little while for business to pick up, and if it doesn't then drop him! You never know, he might end up being one of your best regular customers!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 10

In most states, the regulations for re-sale require a 'sell by' date. If you name is on them, and he is selling them, your reputation is at hugely at risk.

I don't think a few dollars a week is worth that risk.

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 10

mandze: I was kind of in a similar situation. I sell cakes to an area restaurant & they were serving them for waaaayyy too long. They said they were still moist & tasted good, but there has to be a limit that you serve cakes. Now, I don't have my name listed on the menu, but when people ask where the cake comes from they will tell them. I suggested that instead of ordering 1 time a week, that they order as needed.
For example they would order 2 on Monday...if its a slow week for them then it would take them awhile to go through those cakes. I told them that maybe they should order 1 on Monday & another on Thursday so they didn't have a cake just sitting around.

Maybe you could sell him 1 dozen at a time. Maybe suggest to him that if they don't sell in the first 2 days to do a 2for1 deal on them.

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 9:22pm
post #8 of 10

I think the sell by sticker is a must. Maybe you can go in there on the day you know they are out of date and pick them up and stock new ones? I don't know...

The other thing is that when things are packaged for resale the guidelines are more strict. You are suppose to have a complete ingredient list and things like that. I don't know where to find out that information, maybe you already have it.. ?

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 1:29am
post #9 of 10

I agree with the date sticker. Also, sell him fewer cookies more often so they are fresh. You definitely don't want your reputation damaged by him selling stale cookies.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 7:38am
post #10 of 10

The sell by date sticker is a great idea. Could he freeze the type of cookies that you are selling and take a couple out every day or as needed?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%