Can I Dry Fondant In Oven?

Decorating By wendysue Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 6:42pm by KrazyKross

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 10

Wilton fondant that is? I need to dry it out fast!

9 replies
wendysue Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 10

Answer is no!! Oh my! Definitely not! Everyone learn from me, this doesn't work! icon_redface.gif

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 10

No, No, NO!

Wendysue, looks like we had exactly the same experience, LOL.

thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif

Warm fondant just turns to a mound of soft mush. Ditto for trying to dry it in a food dehydrator.

Best suggestion is to use gumpaste for things that need to dry in a hurry. I know, I know, hindsight is 20/20.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 10

The best you can do it let a fan blow on it and turn it over occasionally. It still takes at least one night of drying.

reese04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reese04 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 10

Yes you can put it in the oven - Do NOT turn it on, just turn the oven light on and it will dry out pretty fast - thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

wendysue Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 10

I made the handle and spout on Monday and that's just not long enough. It's mostly firm, but considering the position it must keep on the cake I'm concerned. I only had it in the oven long enough to see that it was soft to the touch. Now it's in the refrigerator. I think I'll keep it there until pick up time. It will surely be more rigid that way.

Wonder if I could stick it in the freezer?

wendysue Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 10

Here's a photo of my cake so far...

I have a wadd of napkin under the handle to keep it from slipping during the trip. Will tell my mom to remove at the church. Hope she remembers!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:31pm
post #8 of 10

Don't freeze! The condensation after might make it worse.

wendysue Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:40pm
post #9 of 10

Good to know! By the way sorry that image is so huge. I should have sized it down.

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:42pm
post #10 of 10

I have dried fondant in the oven two different ways. The first is to turn the oven light on and place your fondant in the oven and keep the light on as the heat source to dry your fondant. The other is to turn the oven on low until it is barely heated and then turn it off. Put your fondant in the oven and shut the door to let it dry. (This should be used only if your oven light will not stay on when the oven door is shut.) If you have an old gas oven with a pilot light, this may be enough of a heat source to dry your fondant, just place it far enough above the heat source, so that it does not get too warm and melt.

These methods can also be used to dry royal icing and color flow. But be aware! Make sure that you remove your items before preheating your oven to bake or cook.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%