I Think My Wilton Instructor Sucks (Long)

Decorating By fragglerock1 Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 10:02pm by TexasSugar

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 19

Or maybe this is how all of them are. There are only four of us in this class, but I feel like I'm teaching myself after a short demonstration. These are the things that are in the book that we haven't learned yet. Keep in mind, there's only one two-hour class left:

Leveling
Torting
Filling
Icing the cake
Brush striping
Curving line
Tight Zigzag
Piping Gel Pattern Transfer
Teddy Bear
Heart
Fruit
Drop Flowers
Sweet Peas
Bows
Leaves
Vines

We spent the entire second lesson just doing writing and shells. Also, we had to bring cupcakes for the last class and my instructor basically made fun of mine. She asked me what was wrong with them and I said nothing she said, "but they're so small!" Um, I use the nut and party cups (souffle cups in my photos) which are the exact same size as the standard cupcake papers, which I told her. Everyone else brought jumbo cupcakes and she said those were standard size. I wanted to ask if those were the standard size then why did it say Jumbo on the package, but I just let it go. I also made my cupcakes from scratch and filled them with a caramel filling and when I told her this (she asked) she said, "well la di da." Also, I did the icing plug trick with Saran Wrap and she asked why I was doing that and I said it was less messy, well the rest of the class she kept taunting me with messy icing bags, saying things like "oooh fragglerock1, look at the messy bag." I mean it didn't hurt my feelings or anything, but I thought it was a little juvenile. One more thing, aren't we supposed to make three cakes in this class? We did cupcakes this week and for the last class we have to bring a two layer 9" round cake, so um what happened to the other cake we were supposed to do?

I'm in a catch 22 because I'd like to take the other classes but not with her and she teaches all of them. I'd have to drive across town to a different Michael's to take the class. Okay well thanks for letting me vent.

18 replies
iamme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamme Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 19

wow, that sounds pretty bad. i take it its the course 1 book your referring to? i hate to say this, but you might want to drive across town to get away from that teacher. dont feel bad about the trip either, my closest micheal's is a 2 hour drive, and i still took all three courses.

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 19

The drive may be worth it! It does not sound like your going to learn anything from this teacher.

texaskitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texaskitty Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 19

I am so sorry that you are having a bad experience with your classes. Having a good instructor makes all the difference. You should have learned most of those things in your first 2 classes. It might be worth it just to drive across town for the classes.

My instructor for course 1 was great. There wasn't enough room in the class to seat everyone, but she still made sure everyone got a little one on one time. I had to take courses 2 and 3 somewhere else because of the days they were offered. There were only 3 people in each class, but the instructor would stay for a long time on one thing and then rush through the rest. If you were having problems she would say "oh well, we need to move on." It was very frustrating.

If I were you I would try the classes across town. It will be worth the drive if you get a good instructor.

Melissa

MommyBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyBunny Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 19

WOW, and I thought my 1st instructor was bad.

I would make the drive, I am on my second teacher and she is so sweet. I would call Wilton too and give them a heads up. It seems like bu the 3 class, she did teach the basics and the last class was a cake with a bunch of roses and leaves. We did have 3 cakes, night 2-4.

I am so sorry, but call Wilton and Michael and change instructors.

Patricia

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 19

I'm sorry to hear that icon_sad.gif Mine was great so maybe the drive would be worth it?

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 19

i would also inform both michael's and wilton. that sounded terrible. if i were you i'd pay the extra in gas and drive across town.
maybe you could pop in while the other class is going on just to make sure you're not going from the frying pan into the fryer.

gabbenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabbenmom Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 19

I'm so sorry! That just isn't right! My instuctor was great! You really need to discuss her with the manager! If for nothing else, than the sake of future students! I would defiantely drive across town. I skippped the Michael's in the city where I live and drove 15-20 miles away! Boy am I glad I did. Good luck and if I were you, I would retake course 1 somewhere else! My teacher gave alot of her "ideas/ shortcuts" that I use on a regualar basis! There really is alot more to learn. And yes, we did three cake....NO cupcakes jumbo or "too small"! She sounds jelous of you!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 19

That's pretty bad. What in the world did she do the first day of class? Most of the things on your list should have been covered on day one.

I would complain. You are spending time to take a class and learn something, and she isn't covering the material she needs to cover.

If nothing else, all students should walk out of course one knowing how to ice a cake properly. They really need to screen the instructors better. I suggested that they have feedback forms the students fill out so they know what's going on in the classroom, but I don't know if Wilton wants to do that. It would really help, though.

Sorry for your frustrations.
Angie

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 19

Man- sounds like you had my instructor - we didn't learn any of those things either - the first class all we did was writing (lines) and shells too - hmm- you don't happen to be in Maryland do you? It was horrible. And I didn't take the rest of the courses either b/c she was the only one who taught all the courses - So if I do decide to take any more classes I will make the drive to somewhere else. You are not alone -I totally feel your pain - I kind of did my own things towards the end b/c I realized that I wasn't going to learn a thing from her. It was a huge waste of my time.

I'm sorry you had to go through this too!

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 19

First of all, talk to the manager of the store. If that doesn't help, find out who her Wilton Supervisor is and email or call her.

We're not all like that, some of us actually love our students and we teach by the book.

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 19

The first class we did roses and stars, the second class we did shells and writing, at this weeks class we decorated our cupcakes, spatula striped our bag and basically self taught ourselves faces. Well I'm glad to know I'm not making a mountain out of a mole hill. I think I might try the Michael's across town.

brcorlew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brcorlew Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 19

Not all Wilton instructors are like this. I am an instructor and I teach according to the book exactly. It sounds like your instructor needs some work on her teaching skills. Wilton gives you a lesson plan for each night and it explains exactly how much time you should spend on each thing, I think she should review her's to make everything fit in to the lesson. I would consider telling the store manager how you feel and also Wilton. And I would have to say that a trip across town sounds like it would be in your best interest if you want to continue...and I hope you will! Good luck! Maybe the store will refund your money and you can take the class again with a different teacher at Michaels? thumbs_up.gif

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 19

fragglerock1,
I'm sorry the classes aren't going well, but don't give up! Just wanted to say...I can't see your name without singing the song. party.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:43pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

I also made my cupcakes from scratch and filled them with a caramel filling and when I told her this (she asked) she said, "well la di da." Also, I did the icing plug trick with Saran Wrap and she asked why I was doing that and I said it was less messy, well the rest of the class she kept taunting me with messy icing bags, saying things like "oooh fragglerock1, look at the messy bag."

That gal is definitely not a teacher. There is a reason there are only 4 people in a class.

Ishie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ishie Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:43pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperbunny

WOW, and I thought my 1st instructor was bad.

I would make the drive, I am on my second teacher and she is so sweet. I would call Wilton too and give them a heads up. It seems like bu the 3 class, she did teach the basics and the last class was a cake with a bunch of roses and leaves. We did have 3 cakes, night 2-4.

I am so sorry, but call Wilton and Michael and change instructors.

Patricia

I would definately call Wilton AND Micheal's both and let them know what this representative of THEM is behaving like.

Also, I can't believe that you have so much left to go through in just one more class. Yikes!! Good luck to you!!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:43pm
post #17 of 19

I can feel your pain...my instructor was horrible icon_cry.gif . I did course 1 and 2 under her and refused to take 3 with her icon_mad.gif .

I had to drive 2hrs plus pay $17.00 bridge toll, $30.00 gas and $25.00 for the class all for nothing...we didn't even touch base on 3/4 of the material icon_evil.gif

Get away from her...drive across town to someone that is going to teach you!! thumbs_up.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 8:35pm
post #18 of 19

I would most definitely ask for a refund so that you could retake the course elsewhere. Tell the manager what you did not cover and how she treated you. If he does not refund your money then let them know that word of mouth spreads fast. I would also attend the last class and let her know that you are retaking the class with a professional teacher that knows how to teach a cake class.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 10:02pm
post #19 of 19

As a Wilton Instructor I will say no we are all not this way. I have never and would never taunt or make fun of my students. And while I don't always follow the book to a T we cover everything in it, either hands on, demostration or I explain it.

Don't continue the classes with her. You are not getting what you paid for and you do not have to sit in a class that should be fun to have someone treat you that way.

I would also go in and talk to the manager or assitant manager at the store. If you can't do that, write a letter atleast and let them know what is going on in the class. This woman is not teaching the Wilton classes and she is being rude to students, which means she is being rude to customers. So let them know how much money they will be losing from you when you go take the classes at the other store.

I would also contact Wilton and tell them about this instructor as well.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%