Better Tasting Fondant

Decorating By sel1463 Updated 15 Feb 2007 , 9:24pm by EverlastingSweets

sel1463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sel1463 Posted 10 Sep 2004 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 16

I've only used Fondant one time. When it came time to eat the cake, everyone complained of the horrible taste of the fondant. icon_sad.gif I used a few teaspoons of flavoring, but is there a better way to put flavoring into the fondant that helps?

15 replies
Zabrip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zabrip Posted 10 Sep 2004 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 16

Which brand did you use? I use Pettinice and i've had people that hate fondant convert to loving it. Some brands are just to "plasticy", its not really the flavor but the texture.

sel1463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sel1463 Posted 10 Sep 2004 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 16

I used wilton ready to use, rolled fondant. Thanks, I will try to find the one that you suggested!

grgapch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grgapch Posted 14 Sep 2004 , 3:20am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sel1463

I used wilton ready to use, rolled fondant.

I don't think there is anyone who likes to eat Wilton's ready to use fondant. I haven't tried it yet but there is a great recipe for making your own Marshmallow Fondant that is great tasting.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 14 Sep 2004 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 16

I love the marshmallow fondant and highly recommend it!

Cakebaker57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebaker57 Posted 14 Sep 2004 , 2:56pm
post #6 of 16

LorAnn oils are great for flavoring fondant. Approximately 12 drops per pound will do it. Try 6 drops of lemon oil with 6 drops of orange oil for a wonderful taste. For me homemade fondant is the key for texture and taste.

5 qt. Mixer Recipe

1 lb. 2 oz. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. meringue powder
1 tsp. tylose or cmc
1 1/2 oz. crisco (3/8 c.)
4 oz. glucose ( 1/3 c.)
3/4 tsp. glycerin
1 1/2 tsp. flavoring (I use 3/4 tsp. each of vanilla and butter flavor, Wilton)
1 tsp. gelatin
3/4 oz. water ( slightly less than 1/8 c.)
Measure out the crisco and use it to grease your mixing bowl half way up. Measure the water in a separate microwaveable dish and sprinkle gelatin over the top and let set for a full five minutes to bloom. Combine the powdered sugar, meringue powder, tylose or cmc and glucose in the mixing bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients with the gelatin in the microwave proof bowl and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir until completely dissolved and add to the mixing bowl. Mix on lowest setting for 10 minutes. Mixer may drag a bit in the first minute or two and you can speed it up for a few seconds to redistribute the fondant but then continue mixing on low for the full ten minutes. The LorAnn oils can be added at any time. Knead the fondant on a cool hard surface, marble or stainless steel are best, for a minute and then securely wrap in plastic and seal in a zip loc type of bag. I like to let it rest over night for covering a cake but you can use it right away for molds by adding a sprinkling of tylose to it. Makes approximately 1 1/2 lbs. Freezes extremely well, thaw in the refrigerator and then bring to room temperature. ***During the kneading process if the fondant does not have a smooth look and tends to tear easily, add powdered sugar gradually and knead until smooth.
Good Luck!

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 14 Sep 2004 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 16

Can you tell me where can I buy tylose or cmc?

Cakebaker57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebaker57 Posted 14 Sep 2004 , 9:47pm
post #8 of 16

Tylose can be found on many sites including www.nicholaslodge.com and sugarcraft.com

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 15 Sep 2004 , 3:09am
post #9 of 16

thanks thumbs_up.gif

jcakes17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcakes17 Posted 14 Feb 2007 , 11:22pm
post #10 of 16

I have heard satin ice is good.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 5:52am
post #11 of 16

OH yes, Wilton fondant is NASTY, and no amount of flavoring will help it IMO! I have tried about 1/2 dozen brands and must say that pettinice was probably my favorite. Satin Ice wasn't bad, but still had a slight "synthetic" taste. MMF is pretty good, but I find it a pain to make and it's VERY sweet! One other thing I've been using in leau of fondant is Chocopan, which is simply rolled white chocolate. It has the same texture as fondant (a little softer and it melts kinda fast), but it tastes delicious, just like white chocolate! I bought some at Sugarcraft!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:12am
post #12 of 16

yeah, ya dont wanna eat that Wilton stuff...honestly, try MMF (marshmallow fondant). There is a recip and tutorial on how to make it on this site. Its really great to work with and is quite edible!
thumbs_up.gif

blaquescarlett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blaquescarlett Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 6:52am
post #13 of 16

Marshmallow Fondant!!! I was a doubter before last week when I tried it for myself. Yummmmmmm! I still prefer to only have butter cream on my cakes, but MMF really does taste good! make a batch and see for yourself!

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 7:10am
post #14 of 16

I didn't believe people when they said how horrible wilton fondant was, until I took the wilton classes. I tried a taste of it and had to spit it out. It tasted like elmers glue smells. It was nasty. I love mmf though. Especially when flavored with orange or lemon extract.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 4:04pm
post #15 of 16

Yep...you can flavor MMF any way ya want. A gal on here put mint in hers for a chocolate cake and said it was awesome!
thumbs_up.gif

EverlastingSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverlastingSweets Posted 15 Feb 2007 , 9:24pm
post #16 of 16

I had just posted something like this last week, I don't care for the MMF, it's good for my cookies, but for me, just too sweet for a whole cake, so I experimented and used that European Fondant, which is in the Recipe Forum and loved it! It was really easy to use and tastes great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%