Transfer Photo To Cake

Decorating By Samsgranny Updated 1 Mar 2006 , 8:14pm by nanni

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there,
New to this site and I am amazed at wealth of information I have found here. I am new to cake decorating...just starting class 3 of Wilton's at my local Michael's.

My question. I would like to do a Jimmy Neutron cake for my son's birthday but have not found a cake pan. I did find some figures to put on a cake but they don't look very exciting to me. However, I was wondering if there was a way to copy a photo of Jimmy and transfer that to the top of a sheet cake. I also sew and I know that you can copy photos onto fabric and was curious if there is a way to print out the photo onto parchment paper or even something edible. Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Samsgranny

8 replies
maxiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxiecakes Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 1:32am
post #2 of 9

Hi Samsgranny, Well you can't just print and copy onto your cake,You need a designated printer used for cakes only, cannon, then you need Edible Ink cartridge. You can get everything you need from
www.kopykake.com I sure hope this helps. I have a little trouble explaining things but at kopykake they have printers, inks, and frosting sheets.

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 1:37am
post #3 of 9

You can always do a piping gel transfer of the outlines and then color in with colored piping gel. Just trace the image in black gel onto a piece of waxed or parchment paper, turn it over onto your iced cake making sure all of your lines are touching the icing. Gently lift off paper and you'll have the outline of what you'd like to color in! Keep in mind to reverse you image if it has words, or these will come out backwards! Then re-pipe your outlines and fill in with colored piping gel? Does this make sense?

maxiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maxiecakes Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 1:40am
post #4 of 9

oops ! WELCOME TO CC !!! your gonna love it here!! But it is addictive so make sure you have a comfy chair & a cup of coffee/tea when you sit at your computer thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
maxie

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 1:41am
post #5 of 9

Or you can take your picture to a cake supply place that makes edible images for you-sometimes there are people that will do it for you-when is the party? I can do edible images if you want to email me with the picture and I can send it to you..just pm me and I will get it rolling for you if you would like. I don't know where you are from so I don't know how long it would take to mail to you but would be willing to give it a try.

tastycakes Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 1:45am
post #6 of 9

Nanni, I know it's not my thread but wow, you are so generous!!!

Samsgranny, I forgot to say Welcome to Cake Central! This site is crawling with folks like Nanni that just want to help each other out!

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks so much for all your kind suggestions. And especially to you Nanni! I took your idea and called a local bakery and she could not print it out for me but gave me a great idea until I can get my own printer and print at home. She said to take the photo and have it laminated, place it on the cake and pipe a cool border around it. That way they can keep the picture and even have it framed afterwards. She says one of her customers does that and her son who is 6 has the pictures from all his birthday cakes hanging on his bedroom wall. My only dilema now is trying to choose which picture to use. I'm thinking I might have multiple small cakes like a 6", 8" and a 10" on different layers with different pictures on each one and different flavors of cake inside. But there will only be about 25 people. Does that sound like too much cake? Please advise.

Thanks all for your help, I really appreciate it.

Theresa

tastycakes Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 9

Bite your tongue! There is no such thing as too much cake! icon_smile.gif

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 9

Especially if you have different flavors!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%