Ace Of Cakes- Taste?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 23 Mar 2007 , 1:23am by 7yyrt

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:56am
post #1 of 75

Just wondering, I am a fan of Ace of Cakes on the Food Network. Has anybody in the Baltimore area ever tasted their stuff??? I think they are called Charm City Cakes.

74 replies
bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:54am
post #2 of 75

I have oftern wondered that myself.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 9:37am
post #3 of 75

i too wonder some of them look like cornbread when carving

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 75

why do so many people want to assume they would taste bad? He's a graduate of culinary school, and his business is highly successful. The number of people on the show who appear to be repeat customers should be enough evidence that people like them enough to come back.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 75

This thread has been posted before and it always ends ugly. They may want their cakes to look good, but that doesn't mean they're nasty.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 75

i would assume they taste good. I doubt he'll have that much business if they don't. I'm pretty sure if they didn't taste good the word would get out quickly.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 75

The original poster is asking if anyone has tasted the cakes personally. Other posts have been different.
I personally would love to taste them, I bet their great or he wouldn't be in business.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 75

A similar thread was started not too long ago...honestly, do you think he would be in the position that he is in if the cakes didn't taste good????

I have heard nothing but positive comments on all of his cakes. And Charm City Cakes is a Cake Central member, so you can just PM them and ask them. icon_smile.gif

Angie

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:27pm
post #9 of 75

I haven't tasted it personally but one of my co-workers has. She said it was delish and wanted to have her husband "stop by" and pick up a cake to bring into work for us to try. I had to explain to her that it isn't they type of bakery where you could just stop by and grab a cake off of the shelf. Too bad - i'd a loved to have tried one!

Debbie

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:29pm
post #10 of 75

NOW, NOW! There's no need to assume everyone who asks this means they are nasty tasting. We just don't see any attention paid to the taste or flavor in T.V.
But the show is not for that. It is not a cake baking show, it's a show about this particular bakeries cakes designs and how they do or do not do them. More on the "see what you can do with cake" side really. I appreciate this show for the ideas, the skills and the fact it brings to more people that "cake is not JUST cake!" There is an art to this, blood, sweat and tears are involved at any given time. I like people to see what really goes into our masterpieces instead of thinking "why would I pay THAT for a cake?" Nothing erks me more than someone thinking "IT'S JUST CAKE" icon_biggrin.gif

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 75

It seemed to me that LoriC (original poster) was simply asking if anyone had personally tasted his cakes. I don't think she was criticizing or critiquing how Charm City cakes taste because she hasn't even tried them personally. That's just my interpretation of her comment... I don't think she was trying to be ugly or negative in any way. icon_wink.gif

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:29pm
post #12 of 75

It's important to keep in mind, though, that some members haven't been here for months and may not know what all has been hashed and rehashed. I don't think it's an assumption that they would taste bad, but perhaps more of a question over whether they taste somewhere between average, good, or divine. I wonder what they would taste like, never had one. I wonder if he gets his money due to the outstanding decorating talent, if a boring ole sheet cake would make my mouth water, or both. No harm in wondering, no harm in asking.

By the way, welcome to the board LoriMc

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:30pm
post #13 of 75

Just going to their website and checking out the flavors they have listed makes me hungry! I would think that if they were ONLY worried about the cake looking good, they would stick with a few very basic flavor combos. I haven't personally tasted their cakes, but I'm with the previous posters who have assumed that, 1)Duff is a culinary school graduate and has some idea of what he's doing!, and 2)They would not have the repeat customers that they have if the cakes weren't good. I am in the Baltimore area, and if I ever get the chance to taste Charm City Cakes I will be sure to post my review! icon_wink.gif

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:31pm
post #14 of 75

Oops! LoriMc... I spelled your screen name wrong. Sorry!

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:32pm
post #15 of 75

I'd like t try one myself. heck, I'd like to go hang out with them for a day and just watch them in action, when they aren't on camera. I do tend to watch these shows and think of the time it seems they have that cake sitting around getting less fresh by the minute. But then I make mine and get it all together in much shorter order I'm sure, because I don't do what they do. I've had some pretty "sturdy" cake on occassion that was pretty delish.

nannaraquel Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:42pm
post #16 of 75

I do wonder, however, who actually does the baking--because I don't think you ever really see that in the show? Do they have a separate staff for baking? And I wonder if they make their cakes from scratch, or if they start with a "commercially prepared cake base"? icon_smile.gif

Katskakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:13pm
post #17 of 75

have you seen this site?
check out the different videos
http://www.aceofcakestv.com/

www.charmcitycakes.com - Always fresh, never frozen
"Our cakes are all individually baked to order, and every cake is always fresh, never frozen. We have over 40 flavors, and experiment with new ones all the time - - if you dont see it on our list, dont be afraid to ask, cause we can probably make it."

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 3:34pm
post #18 of 75

I was just gonna post the same exact thing!!! icon_lol.gif

mypastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mypastrychef Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:22pm
post #19 of 75

IT's a reality show!!

Meant for entertainment purposes... not baking and decorating lessons!

I am so thankful for this particular show! It has been great for my business.

mpc
www.mypastrychef.com

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:53pm
post #20 of 75

Oh my goodness! I never in a million years meant to start a controversy! I love that show and I love Duff. I was just curious if anybody was lucky enough to have ever eaten their cake. I in no way insinuated or meant to insinuate they weren't good. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks to those who defended me!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:13pm
post #21 of 75

Most everyone gets really defensive about Duff. I've learned not to voice my opinion on this matter. As Mypastrychef said, "It's meant for entertainment."

I think the show has brought a new light to the cake decorating profession. People now realize the time and energy that goes into decorating cakes.

Diane

nannaraquel Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:36pm
post #22 of 75

I have seen the site, and did notice the "always fresh, never frozen" statement, I was just wondering if they start with a base mix and doctor from there, or whether they make each and every flavor completely from scratch. icon_smile.gif
I know, also, that the show is for entertainment, not for baking lessons. Once again, I was just sort of "thinking out loud". I wasn't trying to insult anybody in any way. I understand the original question--I would love a chance to try their cakes!--and I am also a fan of their show. I think they are amazing artists, and I'm certainly not trying to insult their baking ability in any way! I was just making conversation, not trying to cause controversy. I didn't realize this was such a hot-button issue!

mommakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakescakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:58pm
post #23 of 75

They accept interns thru the Jane magazine. icon_eek.gif I just clicked on the link above and it has a link to sign up to be an intern.

Bitzidee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bitzidee Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:12pm
post #24 of 75

Hi I am new here. Got the link to this site from Charmcitycakes.com Anyway. I love to watch the show, it is so creative and fun to see how they do things. I am a new cake decorator compared to many of you. I think it would be neat if they had a show with a tour of their bakery from taking the order to baking, decorating and out the door. I have noticed cooling racks with many cakes on them while watching the show so they must have a baking room in the back somewhere. I'd like to see an instructional Cake Decorating show wouldn't you? Ace of Cakes is fun and inspiring but not instructional and I hate missing an episode.

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:12pm
post #25 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

Oh my goodness! I never in a million years meant to start a controversy! I love that show and I love Duff. I was just curious if anybody was lucky enough to have ever eaten their cake. I in no way insinuated or meant to insinuate they weren't good. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks to those who defended me!

You didn't do anything wrong. I don't know why lately threads are taken so seriously. I thought it was a good question. I know I don't see every thread that goes through here so when their repeated it gives others a chance to catch it at that time.

They forcus more on the artistic side and they are limited on time. I've learned a lot from that show and have been entertained. They look like they are having fun doing the show.

Katskakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:14pm
post #26 of 75
Quote:
Quote:

I know, also, that the show is for entertainment, not for baking lessons. Once again, I was just sort of "thinking out loud". I wasn't trying to insult anybody in any way. I understand the original question--I would love a chance to try their cakes!--and I am also a fan of their show. I think they are amazing artists, and I'm certainly not trying to insult their baking ability in any way! I was just making conversation, not trying to cause controversy. I didn't realize this was such a hot-button issue!

Ditto what nannaraquel said! I'm sorry if i have offended anyone, not my intention. I also didn't take it as anyone was "assuming" they don't taste good. I was just commenting and posting the link since i was just there yesterday and saw somethings i never saw before.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:41pm
post #27 of 75

Sorry if my first post sounded degrading, it really wasn't meant to be. It's just kind of a warning sign; I myself would like to try the cakes too. icon_redface.gif I've just read reviews from the city of Baltimore on CCC, and two out of three say his cakes were fine (one says good and the other "not great but not bad") and the other one says his cakes were dry and flavorless. You also have to take into consideration that he has A LOT of flavors. Thus, the opinions are not valid. thumbs_up.gif

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:02pm
post #28 of 75

Well, I don't think taste necessarily = success after trying a Debbie Brown recipe. icon_eek.gif However, I like to think that Duff's taste good. He couldn't have been that good when he started (with decorating) so he had to probably make a darn good tasting cake. I would love to try some minus the fondant sometime. icon_smile.gif I think CCC should get on here and send each and every one of us a sample to "dispel" any rumors. yeah yeah, that's it icon_razz.gif

mommakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommakescakes Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:16pm
post #29 of 75

I will agree to that. icon_biggrin.gif Then we could all decide for ourselves.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 7:20pm
post #30 of 75

Or we could just take a field trip to CCC, think Duff would have us lol?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%