Tres Leches Need Some Advice

Decorating By ttatummm Updated 21 Mar 2007 , 1:23pm by ttatummm

ttatummm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttatummm Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:04am
post #1 of 6

I did a search but haven't really found the answers I need in all the post about Tres Leches.

I'm going to make a Tres Leche cake -- my first. The person I'm making it for wants a more modest cake so I will be making an 8" round rather than a 9x13.

First can I turn the cake out on a plate and soak it rather than leave it in the pan. I figured a cake board wouldn't work well, but if I put it on a platter with a small lip would that be enough?

Second, I want to frost it with whipped cream how long before it is served can it be frosted? Would it hold up for 8, 12 or 16 hours?

Any input would be appreciated.

Tammy

5 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:37am
post #2 of 6

Here's an easy recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2411-0-Tres-Leches-Cake-Mix-Cake.html

Instead of the 13x9x2 you can make two 8" rounds; one for you and one for your customer.
Although one 8" cake isn't going to yield many portions....

I would soak the cakes in the pans, and then turn out and frost - the platter with the lip would be useful to contain any seepage.

Don't think this cake can be left unrefrigerated for any length of time as it does contain three different perishable dairy products.

Also think eating (warm) milk syrup is less than appetizing - JMHO.

I'm sure you'll get more comments, just my $0.02

ttatummm Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 4:39am
post #3 of 6

After doing some more research it looks like I can take the cake out of the pan and tort it and apply the soaking liquid to each layer.

But I would still like some advice on the whipped cream. Maybe I should just use a meringue for frosting??

Anyone have some thoughts??

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:37am
post #4 of 6

Yes, torting the layers and applying the liquids to each cut surface would work. It's a more complicated version of applying simple syrup.

Thought you were going to pour the liquids over the top of the cake since you didn't mention torting, but "soaking" in your original post.

Sorry I couldn't be of any assistance.

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 6:59am
post #5 of 6

You can try pastry pride if you can get that, it works very well for this type of cake. Just make sure not to soak to much if you torte and fill the cake.

ttatummm Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Jan & Neni. I've made the cakes. The recipe I used was supposed to make a 9x13. I made an 8 & 6 inch round glad I did, I think I could have made just a tall 8 inch. Not sure how thin this cake is traditionally but this recipe (which seems to be the most common one out there) would make a very thin 9x13.

I didn't torte the rounds they seemed soak up the milk quite readily .

I still have to frost them and I haven't decided whether to use whipped cream or make a meringue frosting. I would love to use whipped cream I think it would go very well with cake especially since it will be served with fresh strawberries. Just not sure how long the whipped cream will last before it breaks down.

Anyone know how long the whipped cream will typically last?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%