Cookie Bokays

Baking By tayakaleb Updated 2 Mar 2006 , 5:24am by Cake_Princess

tayakaleb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayakaleb Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 20

When you are making cookie bokays how do you attach the stick. Do you bake it into the cookie or attach it with icing or something. I have tried before to bake it in but it doesn't seem strong enogh to hold it with out breaking the cookie. Any tips please!!

19 replies
llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 20

I roll my cookies VERY thick and bake them as usual. I put the sticks in them after baking.

HTH!
Lisa

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 20

I have made these too and put my sticks in before baking - not too pleased with the outcome... I should try after baking.

What is the best cookie recipe for this? I used sugar and was not too happy...

rabiah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rabiah Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 20

The no fail sugar cookie recipeon this site is the best recipe i have tried yet!

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 20

Cool, thanks!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 20

I use Martha's sugar cookie recipe exclusively. It's the best tasting I have ever had.

Lisa

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 20

I used the no-fail sugar cookies recipe on CC and had great results.....I rolled on wax paper like the recipe suggests and put my lollipop sticks in prior to baking.....then put the cookie sheet in the freezer for about ten min. then put in the oven......(I heard it helps the cookies keep their shape better)......mine were stuck in the cookies like nobody's business.....even when eating some of the cookies.....I had to literally eat the chunks of cookie off of the sticks...they were in there good, I had no problems.......here are the ones I did.
LL

tayakaleb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayakaleb Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks for all your good ideas. I haven't tried it yet with the no-fail cookie recipe. That will be my next experiement...

cparkman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cparkman Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 8:53pm
post #9 of 20

KHalstead,
Your cookies are great looking, we are going to try some soon, I hope we can do as well.
Crystal

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 28 Feb 2006 , 6:55pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayakaleb

When you are making cookie bokays how do you attach the stick. Do you bake it into the cookie or attach it with icing or something. I have tried before to bake it in but it doesn't seem strong enogh to hold it with out breaking the cookie. Any tips please!!

When I bake my cookie I insert the sticks before I bake. I know quite a few people insert it after but I am too scared of breaking my cookies. Others will use chocolate to attach them to the sticks but I avoid doing that because it's just an additional expense. Less profit.

I roll my cookies out between two sheets of waxpaper using my Wide Glide Rolling pin. I place cookie pop sticks around the edges so my dough is never thinner than their diameter. Because the dough i use tends to be a bit soft I freeze it a but then push The sticks in and I flip them over To see if it's pierced the back side of The cookie. If ity has i take extra dough and just patch the back and turn it over on the the parchment lined Cookie sheet. Then I put Them back in The freezer so they are nice And firm then straight in to the over. This will help to reduce spreading significantly.

ShyannAutumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShyannAutumn Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 20

I add the stick the moment I take them out of the oven when they are still semi-soft. I tried baking the sticks with the cookies but found the stick falls threw and the cookie won't bake around them. The moment out of the oven I know it will be centered. If they feel loose after they cool I use white Kayro syrup for glue. Kayro syrup isn't that expensive and won't bite into your cost.

I don't have hardly any breakage when I incert the stick at that time. I only break when I get into a hurry and lift the cookie when it's still warm.

Shyann

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 20

So, Maybe the trick to inserting them before baking is the freezing part??? Maybe because it's semi frozen the outside of the cookie forms a crust keeping the stick from falling to the bottom while the center sets up??

ShyannAutumn Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 20

never froze mine... didn't have time. It might work. But I myself feel more confident in after baking but that is just me.

*smiles*
Shyann

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:17pm
post #14 of 20

Thought I would give you all the dumb question of the day on this subject... are the lollipop sticks wooden or paper?

deb

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 20

I bake mine with the sticks in them. I can't imagine that I'd be able to get more than just a couple sticks in fresh-from-the-oven cookies before they cooled too much to get them in, LOL!

I haven't been doing cookies too long, but have never had a problem with the stick being loose in the cookies by doing it this way.

I don't put them in the freezer, although I do try to work quickly so the dough doesn't get too warm. I roll the dough between sheets of parchment (no fail sugar cookies), then refrigerate for a while. When I cut the cookies out, I do them one at a time: cut the cookie, insert the stick, then put it on my parchment lined cookie sheet and don't move it again before putting in the oven. To insert the stick, I put the cookie near the edge of a cutting board, then put my left hand on top of the cookie dough. I use my right hand to put the stick in, twisting it slightly, and my left hand keeps the dough from bunching up as the stick goes through the dough.

I have several cookie bouquets in my photos, they were all done this way.

Laura.

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:19pm
post #16 of 20

I use a sugar cookie similar to the no fail sugar cookie ... I dip the stick in eggwhite prior to putting it into the cookie before baking ..never had a problem

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

Thought I would give you all the dumb question of the day on this subject... are the lollipop sticks wooden or paper?

deb

I've used both, but didn't care much for the paper because the butter from the cookie soaked into the paper and discolored it slightly - made it look greasy.

Lately, I've been using bamboo skewers for my smaller cookies, and wooden chopsticks for the larger ones. We have a wonderful store here in town where I can get 100 pairs of chopsticks for about $2.00, so only a penny each, which is a better price than anything else I can find. I don't like the regular popsicle sticks only because they're not as long as I'd like them to be.

The other thing I like about the chopsticks is that the end I put in the cookie is round and small diameter, but they are tapered, so the other end is thicker and oval shaped, so the sticks are held securely in the foam and can't "spin".

hth!
Laura.

ShyannAutumn Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 6:23pm
post #18 of 20

mom,

I have used both but I prefer the paper. The wood on some sticks I have used didn't really like the heat and some curled after they cooled. My kids told me that the cookie around the wooden stick tasted like wood.
This was when I was baking them in the cookie. I still use them, but again after I removed them from the oven but I prefer the paper. To me the seem more decorative.

Shyann

Cake_Princess Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 5:13am
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

So, Maybe the trick to inserting them before baking is the freezing part??? Maybe because it's semi frozen the outside of the cookie forms a crust keeping the stick from falling to the bottom while the center sets up??

Freezing slows down the time it takes for the butter in the dough to start melting. So this significantly reduces the amount of spreading that occurs. So yes, I guess that would be an added bonus of freezing. The cookie has enough time to set up before the stick will shift.

Cake_Princess Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 5:24am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLittr

deb

I have used both the paper ones will occasionally have some slight discoloration but nothing that's noticable to anyone that did not see them before baking. So I dont worry about it.

Popsicle sticks work just as well, a little more effort to insert them though. I soak them in water for about a minute. This prevents them from curling if they Are overly dry.

Overall I prefer the look of cookie pop sticks but the popsicle sticks are WAY cheaper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%