First Ganache Attempt

Decorating By cgcreations Updated 16 Apr 2005 , 1:26am by AngelWendy

cgcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgcreations Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 13

I need to make a cake for a fundraiser and thought a decadent four layer chocolate cake covered in Ganache would be perfect. So here it is... I think my Ganache was a little thick because I had to spread it after pouring it on the cake. Any suggestions and comments will be appreciated as always! I couldn't have made this cake without the previous posts of everyone on here! Thanks!

Another question... I have heard so much about Dawn's BC. I would love to try it, but can't find the recipe. Is it posted on the site? Dawn, if your there, a little help? Thanks again!
LL

12 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 13

Here ya go...

Quote:
Quote:

1 cup Crisco (Do not use high-ration shortening. You need a stiffer
consistency)
3 sticks butter (real butter, good quality)
2 Tsp flavoring (I use 1 Tsp clear vanilla, 1 Tsp butter flavoring)
2* pounds powdered sugar, sifted several times (I sift 5 times)

1. Cream the butter and shortening well.

2. Add the flavoring.

3. Slowly add the powdered sugar.

4. Mix on 8-10 speed for approximately 5-10 minutes for a smooth consistency. The length of time depends on the weather/atmosphere at your house.

*Add more sugar if not stiff enough. I live in the High Desert of California with no humidity. I had to add more sugar to this recipe while visiting North Carolina.

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 13

oohhh, looks so yummy

You did a great job.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 13

It looks really good! I see what you mean about spreading it rather than pouring it. I suggest it was either allowed to cool too much or not enough cream was added to begin with. But it still looks absolutely yummy!

Oh gosh, the recipe has been posted all over the place. There are actually 2 different versions floating around because I'm a typo queen. Here it is how I'm typing it from now on:

1.5 cups butter
1 cup shortening
2t-2T flavoring (I almost always use T but you can use t for a hint thicker icing)
2 pounds powdered sugar

milk to thin as needed

Do not use water- it breaks down.

cgcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgcreations Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 13

thanks for quick reply! I can't wait to try Dawn's famous buttercream icing!

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 13

Your cake looks great...very decadent!

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 13

I love how your cake looks. I have never worked with ganache, but would love to try it. Looks yummmmmmmmmy!!!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 13

You did a wonderful job on your ganache! I can see that you had to spread it a bit--but this is a problem that I, personally, love! Of course, that's because I just absolutely love ganache--so a thicker layer of it on any cake is a good thing with me! LOL!

You might have let it cool too much. I usually do a "practice pour" to see how it's going to spread out (just a little pour) and then if it looks too thick--I warm it up a bit and try again.

I have actually let ganache cool WAY down and used it like a super-rich chocolate fudge icing. I could never get it absolutely smooth, so I went for the more homey look -- like the cakes my grammie used to make me. I would just make a pretty, swirly design on the tops in the ganache with my spatula.

Lisa

pastrypuffgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypuffgirl Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 3:05am
post #9 of 13

It is a very nice cake. If you use a higher ratio of heavy cream in the ganache it will be smoother and thinner so that you can just ladle it right on the top and it will cover the cake totally. I usually ice the cake very thinly with buttercream before i pour ganache on top in order to level out the top or fill in any holes (let the cake sit in the fridge for about 5 minutes to firm the BC). If you use the ganache when it is still too hot, it will melt the icing and quite possibly whatever filling you have inside. Don't be afraid to experiment with the cream ratio in ganache, it is very forgiving. Also llj68, when you say your ganache is never smooth do you mean it looks a little gritty when you make it? If this is the case, the cream might have been a little too hot for the chocolate, just add a little cold heavy cream right away and it should become smooth! Hope this helps everyone!

icon_smile.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 4:13pm
post #10 of 13

Does a cake covered in ganache have to be refrigerated? Also can ganache be used as a filling or only a frosting. If a filling, does it have to be rerfigerated?

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 13

I live in a high heat area (the high desert), so I refrigerate mine during those times of the year. Technically, it does not have to be refrigerated, though... you need to use your judgment on your climate (as far as melting goes).

It makes a good filling. I use a hint less cream when making it as a filling. It tastes very fudgey.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 15 Apr 2005 , 5:32pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrypuffgirl

Also llj68, when you say your ganache is never smooth do you mean it looks a little gritty when you make it? If this is the case, the cream might have been a little too hot for the chocolate, just add a little cold heavy cream right away and it should become smooth! Hope this helps everyone!

icon_smile.gif

Actually, no--I let it cool off completely on purpose and it becomes more of an icing consistency. However--it won't be smooth when you ice it because it's still really soft. I use it on cupcakes and cakes I make for my dad instead of a chocolate bc. (because I still haven't found one that I like.)

When I make the ganache--one of my favorite parts is how smooth, decadent and rich it looks all melted in the pan--I swear, I could eat it till I puke I love it that much. (Of course--that's the same reason why I don't make it often--too tempting.)

Lisa

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 16 Apr 2005 , 1:26am
post #13 of 13

That looks terrific!!!

So have any of you seen wedding cakes made with chocolate glaze topping? I'm thinking about doing that on mine.. icon_smile.gif

~AngelWendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%