Iowa Need For License

Business By tastycake Updated 30 Apr 2014 , 9:42am by NomNomCake Bomb

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 12:20am
post #31 of 48

Glad to see more iowans poping in on the boards. I would like to get a DOS plan going for next summer. I can not plan one during the months of Sept through May as That is a busy time at work and I am going to school at least one night a week. If anyone would be willing to plan one with me PLEASE send me a PM. If more than one would IT would be greatly appreciated.

I have been debating over location, depending on where everyone is.

Anyone who is interested in a DOS can you please PM me your location? So I can come up with a centralized (or close to) location. I was thinking closer to the eastern side of iowa, so we could get more people from Illinois also... but we'll see where everyone is from that is interested.

Thanks!

Leily

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 10 Aug 2006 , 2:00am
post #32 of 48

worth a call to find out if your state considers buttercream in need of refrigeration. some localities do.

bearcreek350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bearcreek350 Posted 11 Aug 2006 , 1:25pm
post #33 of 48

Hi, I am pretty new to this site and love it! Just discovered this discussion about Iowa decorators. I live in Vinton. Halfway between Cedar Rapids and Waterloo. I would love to have a get together. Jennifer

CakesbyGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyGeorge Posted 13 Aug 2006 , 1:00am
post #34 of 48

I live in Central Iowa (Tama on a farm). As long as you do only cakes or fruit pies, you do not need to be licensed. If you live in town, you might check to be sure a license isn't needed. As soon as I told them I lived on a farm they said I didn't have to worry about a license.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 6:01am
post #35 of 48

This is all great info! I have been decorating for fun for several years and have been thinking more seriously aobut getting into the business. My family and especially my husband have all been telling me to go for it. I am just so paranoid about all the laws, but it sounds like Iowa keeps it simple. What an awesome little state we live in!

I am on a farm too in the NW corner. I am 15 min north of Lemars, 10 min south of Sioux Center, 15 min west of Orange City, and 20 min east of Hawarden with lots of cows and corn all around. Nice to see there are more Iowans on the site!

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 12 Oct 2006 , 12:36pm
post #36 of 48

Love reading about my fellow Iowans! LOL I grew up in Cedar Falls and Attended UNI for 5 years. I lived in West Des Moines for a year a couple years ago while DH took a Visiting professor job at Drake. It was fun being in the same hometown as my best friend for that year. I NEVER thought we would live in iowa again with DHs career, but never say never I guess (though he was miserable - he's a European who grew up a block of a capitals center square - a far cry from ANYTHING in Iowa! LOL)

Melissa

prairiesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prairiesweets Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 3:28am
post #37 of 48

Hi,
I am new to the site and I am live south of Marshalltown. I am just starting a cake business from home. I am home with two small children and I love baking!! I plan on starting with cake and moving onto cookies, etc. So far I have had two orders and am hoping for more. Would love to hear from you!!

Nicole

elvisb Posted 22 Oct 2006 , 10:27pm
post #38 of 48

Hey everyone!

I spoke with a health inspector this week and she confirmed that if you don't sell any products that need refrigeration, you do not need a license or permit.

You may not charge for your products unless you have a federal ID number which is just filling out an application with name, address, etc. If you file as a sole proprietor, you don't even have to do anything fancy with your taxes. Just keep track of income and expenses and file a Schedule C at the end of the year when you do your personal taxes. Very simple.

You do need to file for a sales tax permit. Some foods are tax exempt in Iowa. For example if you go to the grocery store and buy ingredients that have to be prepared at home, that is exempt. If you buy products that have been prepared for you, that is taxable. That is why restaurants, etc. charge sales tax. It is the service, not the food that is taxable. And that is why we need to charge. That is also just a paper application and then you send in your check to the state for however much sales tax you have charged. You can do that quarterly or monthly. I think they designate that based on your total yearly sales.

That's about it. It all sounded very simple to me. I am very excited to be on my way to being official! Just in time for the holiday and bridal fairs! Yay!!

Hope this info helps anyone else out there who might be wondering!

Kathyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathyf Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 6:52am
post #39 of 48

It's great to see so many decorators from Iowa! I'm in Independence.
Are any of you going to the fall DOS on November 12th in Iowa City?

prairiesweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prairiesweets Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 2:33pm
post #40 of 48

I was just wondering what DOS is?? I may go, IA City is only an hour for me. Good excuse to get away from kids and go shopping!!

Kathyf Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 5:07pm
post #41 of 48

DOS is an ICES day of sharing where we get together, take display cakes or sugar items if you want, have demos, door prizes, fun, and meet other people from our area. You don't have to be an ICES member to attend and you don't have to be from Iowa. I've pasted all the info below. Hope you can make it!

Iowa Chapter of ICES
November 12, 2006
Farm Bureau Building
2130 Morman Trek Blvd
Iowa City, Iowa

Please bring your sugar art for the sharing table.

AGENDA

8:00 - 9:00 Check-in and continental breakfast (included with registration)
9:00 - 9:15 Welcome
9:15 - 10:15 Covering a stacked cake with fondant - Kathy Finholt
10:15 - 11:00 Fondant Borders - Julie Tupker
11:00 - 11:30 Cookie Decorating - Amber Freeman, Cookie Mom Cookies
11:30 - 12:00 Sharing Table
12:00 - 1:00 Lunch (included with registration)
1:00 - 1:30 Flower Arranging - Julie Poeltler, Fountain of Flowers
1:30 - 2:00 The George Border - George Fowler
2:00 - 3:00 Mystery Demo?????
3:00 - ?? Meeting and Good-byes.

Prizes awarded throughout the day.

There are lots of places to stay in the area, these are the ones with the easiest route to the Farm Bureau Building.
Super 8, 611 1st Ave. Coralville. (319) 337-8388
Best Western Cantebury, 704 1st Ave. Coralville. (319) 351-0400
Econo-Lodge, 815 1st Ave. Coralville. (319) 354-6000
Red Roof Inn, 200 6th street Coralville. 800-767-5355. (This motel is about one block off of 1st Ave.)

Directions:

From Interstate 80, east or west, take exit 242. Go south. When you cross Melrose Ave, 1st avenue changes to Morman Trek. About one mile from that intersection is the Farm Bureau, on the left side of the street.
From interstate 380, north or south . Take the Highway one exit. Go East to Morman Trek Blvd, turn left, Farm Bureau is on the right just past the fitness center.

Registration

Register on or before November 3, 2006.

ICES Member $15.00         Non member $20.00

After November 3, 2006, or at the door.

ICES member $20.00         Non member $ 25.00

Name______________________________________________________________

Address____________________________________________________________

Phone______________________________________________________________

Email address_______________________________________________________

Mail registration and payment to:

I'm not sure if I should put someone's address and phone number here so pm or e,mail me for where to send the registration if you're able to go.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 9:27pm
post #42 of 48

Thanks for the information Kathyf, I hadn't heard of the DOS in Iowa City yet. I am only about 25 mins away so As long as I can get work off I plan on going! Thanks for the great tip!

Leily

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 24 Oct 2006 , 9:44pm
post #43 of 48

I clicked on this post because my hubby is from Iowa and I actually recognized many of the cities and towns listed (He went to UNI) and is from Manchester....so we get up there quite a bit to visit. Wish Missouri had the relaxed rules that Iowa does for cake decorators icon_sad.gif

elvisb Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 3:34pm
post #44 of 48

What is ICES? A day away sounds fun!

Kathyf Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 5:07pm
post #45 of 48

ICES is the International Cake Exploration Societé. It's an international group of cake addicts that was organized in the 70's. The state chapters hold meetings - DOS - days of sharing or WOS - weekends of sharing. The meetings vary by state but the general concept is to get together, have fun , and learn new cake skills. You can get more info on the ICES website - http://www.ices.org/index.htm
They also have an annual convention and the 2007 convention will be in Omaha Nebraska!!
I've been to DOS in Iowa and Minnesota and WOS in Missouri and Wisconsin but never to a convention so I can't wait!
You don't have to be an ICES member to come to the DOS. And it's a great way to meet other decorators in your area. There are several of us in the Waterloo Cedar Falls area that get together for lunch a few times a year just for fun. It's wonderful to talk to people who have similar interests and know what cake decorators are all about.
Sylvia is the one organizing the DOS in November and she's got some great door prizes too.
Geez - I sound like a salesman. I don't mean to - I just have had a wonderful time at the meetings I've been to and have met some of the most wonderful people. If any of you can make it that day make sure you come and say hi. Sometimes forum user names don't match up with our "real" names and we don't realize we're standing right beside someone we've chatted with online.

elvisb Posted 25 Oct 2006 , 7:00pm
post #46 of 48

Thanks for the great info! A convention sounds like fun--and I'm only 2 hours from Omaha!!!!

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 27 Jun 2007 , 5:12pm
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisb

Hey everyone!

I spoke with a health inspector this week and she confirmed that if you don't sell any products that need refrigeration, you do not need a license or permit.

You may not charge for your products unless you have a federal ID number which is just filling out an application with name, address, etc. If you file as a sole proprietor, you don't even have to do anything fancy with your taxes. Just keep track of income and expenses and file a Schedule C at the end of the year when you do your personal taxes. Very simple.

You do need to file for a sales tax permit. Some foods are tax exempt in Iowa. For example if you go to the grocery store and buy ingredients that have to be prepared at home, that is exempt. If you buy products that have been prepared for you, that is taxable. That is why restaurants, etc. charge sales tax. It is the service, not the food that is taxable. And that is why we need to charge. That is also just a paper application and then you send in your check to the state for however much sales tax you have charged. You can do that quarterly or monthly. I think they designate that based on your total yearly sales.

That's about it. It all sounded very simple to me. I am very excited to be on my way to being official! Just in time for the holiday and bridal fairs! Yay!!

Hope this info helps anyone else out there who might be wondering!

here are a list of services that are taxable in Iowa
Baker or Bakery is not listed
http://www.state.ia.us/tax/educate/78524.html

here is what food is taxable.
http://www.state.ia.us/tax/educate/78516.html
Bakery goods

Bakery items sold by the seller that baked them are exempt from sales tax. Furthermore, baked goods sold by the seller that baked them are exempt from sales tax when sold for consumption on the premises of the seller.

A person who makes pies and cakes and delivers them is not considered a caterer, and those sales are not taxable.

Hope this helps.

Also there are shelf stable fillings. The ones that Trevor True value sells, TPC sells.

There is a supplier in Chicago, Lawrence foods that sells them I am not sure what their minimums are except you have to buy twelve 2lbs sleeves per flavor. Another decorator I know gets them and then I split some of them with her.

NomNomCake Bomb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NomNomCake Bomb Posted 30 Apr 2014 , 9:34am
post #48 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavasweet2th 

Hello fellow Iowans!!

I'm in Boone, not to far from Huxley or Ankeny, in fact Ankeny is where I do alot of my shopping!! Kelly, my daughter is attending UNI and loves it there!

Again, great to hear there are more Iowans out there!!

~luraleigh~

Hey I'm right close to you, in ames... :) 

I know this thread is super old but I was hoping to dredge it up again! :) Any more sharing days going on? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%