Should I Just Stop While I'm Ahead?!?

Business By Lybby2000 Updated 20 Mar 2007 , 9:58pm by tobycat

Lybby2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lybby2000 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:11am
post #1 of 19

OK, my sons 4th birthday is Saturday and he wants spiderman... well, he picked out this 3-D one that he wanted me to make... well, I got everything I needed, but I sat down to do the face tonight because this is the only night that I have to do it because Friday night I will be baking and doing the rest of it and let me just say--I'm freaking out!!
I thought that it would be something that I could handle...but from the start this thing has been driving me crazy!! I want to punt it across the yard!!!!
I know that we are our biggest critiques, but I just keep looking at it and just see all the flaws!
My question is if you would leave it as is (granted it still needs eyes and such) or would you start over with the same consept or just do something easier?

18 replies
Nadya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadya Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:15am
post #2 of 19

It looks just fine to me, I can't see any flaws. I think you judge yourself too hard icon_smile.gif

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:28am
post #3 of 19

It looks great!! There is nother wrong with it. Your son will be very proud of his cake and you. Stop stressing.

idoweddingcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idoweddingcookies Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:34am
post #4 of 19

What flaws! looks fabulous thumbs_up.gif
Your son will be sooooo happy.

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:34am
post #5 of 19

the lack of eyes aside, I see absolutely no flaws in this cake. What are you thinking is wrong with it?

illini89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
illini89 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:36am
post #6 of 19

it looks awesome. One of my favorities

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:38am
post #7 of 19

he is FOUR!!! he will love it soooooo much, seriously, i have 3 kids and they think anything made specially for them is amazing and it makes them feel really great.

personally i thought i would see a horrid photo , but i think this looks great. here's the problem- i bet you are tired. go to sleep and look at it again later, it is great.

i always worry about my cakes until they are finished, and then wonder why i was so worried. the majority of the time it works out just fine - being concerned just a tad bit is good though, it keeps us up to the challenge of constantly learning and improving.

dont punt it- think of how sadyour little boy would be if he knew you scrapped his cake!

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:43am
post #8 of 19

I agree with the other posts...this is fabulous, add the eyes and get ready for the applause!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:47am
post #9 of 19

So is the head a cake? Or is that a styrofoam head? If it's foam, just wondering why you didn't decorate it on top of the cake... would've been easier.

I think what you've done looks great though. icon_biggrin.gif

When I did mine, it was a mess... before I put his web pattern on, the red airbrush color was dripping because I put so much on, and it looked like something you'd see in a horror movie (torso dripping blood). By the time it's all together, I'm sure yours will look great too. icon_biggrin.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 5:49am
post #10 of 19

What I said didn't come out right... I meant to say mine was a mess until the end, and then it all came together - and I'm sure yours will too.

Does that sound better? icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:16am
post #11 of 19

There's nothing I can add that hasn't already been said. I think it looks great now and will look fabulous upon completion.

Just curious, what exactly do you think is wrong with it? I'm kinda confused on that point.

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:24am
post #12 of 19

Trust me...how many 4 year olds do you know that get a cake that looks remotely close to that? Well, I don't know anyone...

Everyone is going to be freaking out at what an awesome cake he has. And I'm sure your little guy will absolutely adore it no matter what!

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:27am
post #13 of 19

Looks great! Don't start over! Add the eyes and such and be proud of a fabulous job! It's a wonderful cake!

Sarah

amwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amwake Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:37am
post #14 of 19

All I see is that he needs eyes and mouth (spiderman being male, adding the mouth is optional icon_lol.gif ) Otherwise it is great! Wish I could do that good!

tobycat Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:48am
post #15 of 19

Hey, I just realized the wonderful pun here -- did anyone catch that -- "Should I just stop while I'm AHEAD as in A HEAD!!!"

That's a great laugh for me to end the night on.

(I still think it's a wonderful cake!)

Sarah

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 7:08am
post #16 of 19

giggle

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 11:41am
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma9

Hey, I just realized the wonderful pun here -- did anyone catch that -- "Should I just stop while I'm AHEAD as in A HEAD!!!"

That's a great laugh for me to end the night on.

(I still think it's a wonderful cake!)

Sarah

Actually I did realize that and thought it was a cute pun. Or as I would say to my hubby, "Yeah, very punny". icon_wink.gif

Quote:
Quote:

All I see is that he needs eyes and mouth (spiderman being male, adding the mouth is optional ) Otherwise it is great! Wish I could do that good!

amwake, actually Spiderman's costume doesn't have a 'mouthpiece'. tapedshut.gif A cool idea - where a man's all eyes to take it in, but can't comment. icon_lol.gif Well, he can still talk though....it's a good thing he's one of the cooler superheroes. icon_rolleyes.gifthumbs_up.gif

Lybby2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lybby2000 Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:30pm
post #18 of 19

Thank you all for all of the replies... icon_smile.gif
The part that is messed up is on the lower right side of the picture--I messed up on the webbing and had to scrap it off and respray it and everything and it looks a little dark/uneven... but I think I'll spray it overall again and that should do the trick...
My son woke up this morning and freaked--so I guess I won't be punting it after all... icon_redface.gif
I also think it was because it was very very late and I always have freak outs on cakes take me that far into the night...
Well, all and all, I'm keeping it and I appreciate everyones honest opinions...
Oh, and the head is starophome and I am covering it ahead of time so that I don't have to do it all the night before... I try to do as much ahead as I can...
Thanks everyone!

tobycat Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 9:58pm
post #19 of 19

I try to do as much ahead as I can...
Thanks everyone![/quote]

There you go again being punny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Glad it worked out though.

Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%