Anyone Make Chicken Curry?

Lounge By JennT Updated 3 Mar 2006 , 7:51pm by Cakemaster26

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 16

I'm wanting to make some chicken curry tonight, but don't care too much for coconut milk and every recipe I find calls for it. Was wondering if I can just leave it out or substitute with something else? Reg. milk? Cream cheese? Anything other than coconut milk! lol icon_razz.gif I've had it before in authentic Indian restaurants without coconut milk in it and it's great...just not sure about making it at home. Any advice is appreciated! TIA! icon_smile.gif

15 replies
JennT Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 16

Anyone?.....bump

JennT Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 16

No chicken curry lovers out there?? icon_lol.gif Guess I'm the only one... icon_sad.gificon_razz.gif

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 16

I love it...... but no recipe for it.....I once had it with a little coconut milk and you couldn't tell.....

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 16

I love it...... but no recipe for it.....I once had it with a little coconut milk and you couldn't tell.....

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 12:47am
post #6 of 16

Personally i'd leave the coconut milk in there and follow the recipe exactly. It shouldn't be to strong that you'd really taste it. It really helps to meld the flavors. Taking it out will really change the outcome.

Alien_Sunset Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alien_Sunset Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 2:11am
post #7 of 16

Depends on what kind of curry you want.

Thai curries are commonly made with coconut milk, and really need it to meld all the flavors together, and it's usually difficult to really discern the coconut flavor individually amongst all the others.

Indian curries rarely use coconut milk, but they are also a different flavor/kind of curry altogether. The creaminess in Indian curries are usually yogurt based.

Sory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sory Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 5:03am
post #8 of 16

Actually you can make it without the coconut milk. How exactly do you want it? My boyfriend is asian and sometimes he makes this chicken with curry flavor to die for and it's bake. thumbs_up.gif Do you want regular curry style? We have all kind of asian spices. He also cooks one kind of curry that doesn't call for coconut milk, with sauce. Can you let me know?
Bye!
Sory.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 7:25pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

I'm wanting to make some chicken curry tonight, but don't care too much for coconut milk and every recipe I find calls for it. Was wondering if I can just leave it out or substitute with something else? Reg. milk? Cream cheese? Anything other than coconut milk! lol icon_razz.gif I've had it before in authentic Indian restaurants without coconut milk in it and it's great...just not sure about making it at home. Any advice is appreciated! TIA! icon_smile.gif

Sorry I just say this thread. I dont venture in to the lounge much. I make curry chicken without the coconut milk. Sorry to inform you, I dont have a recipe for it. I just know how to make it no measurements LOL...

Anyway here is what I do.
I finely chop a medium onion and place it in the pot with a about A tablespoon of olive oil. And i add about an inch of fresh ginger that's been finely chopped as well. Let them sweat (the onions will go transparent as opposed to being carmelized). Add 4 tablespoons of curry powder. I use McCormick's or curry powder from the West Indies if I have it. Add about a table spoon of water to form a paste and then add your chicken. I like to use chicken with The bone in there is more flavor. Stir the chicken to coat then add about half a cup of hot water to the pot. Add some salt and pepper. And put the lid on the pot and let it all simmer. The chicken will spring more water. So just need to check it occasionally to check the water level. I let mine simmer for about 1-2 hours and close to the end I add a diced potato this will thicken it up a bit plus it's really tasty. During cooking I like taste at various stages and I adjust the flavor by adding more curry powder or more hot west indian pepper sauce.

When it's close to finish you can remove the bones from the pot.

It can be served over rice or try it with a roti.

OK ok ok... next time I make it, I will measure stuff. Sorry I just watched my mom and other relatives make it so I can just eyeball stuff.

jmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmcakes Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 1:08am
post #10 of 16

I love curry chicken....I have some measurments here if you need them I can email them to you. Mine is really simple though..basically the same as cake princess. It is so great I am making some tomorrow for dinner. icon_smile.gif

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 5:27am
post #11 of 16

Ditto what Cake Princess said. icon_smile.gif

Ditto on the measuring too!!
icon_biggrin.gif

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

When I lived in florida I had a friend show me how to make it using a different kind of curry that came in sort of a brick and you preak it up and put it in the chicken. It was really good! Can't find it in NY though icon_sad.gif

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 5:02am
post #13 of 16

JennT
You can make chicken curry without the coconut milk. In Jamaica we make it without milk. You season the chicken with curry powder, we add salt and pepper (to taste), green onion, thyme, fresh garlic and I also use fresh ginger.
Braise/Brown the chicken in about 2 tbsp oil, add about 1-2 cups water (enough to cover) allow the water to boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through. You can also add potatoes to water. Hope this helps.

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 7:08am
post #14 of 16

Hi,
Just saw your thread. I am Indian, and love to cook. I have a website with all our family favourites.... I created the site, a few years ago, just for our family who are scattered around the world. But I would be happy to send you the URL if you would like it. I have quite a few curries on the site.
Karen

Sory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sory Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 5:07pm
post #15 of 16

Hello, JennT! There are a lot of ways to make, and you don't have to use coconut milk. My boyfriend buys for me to use some boxes of "S&B Golden Curry" sauce mix (cubes), these make a delicious curry, with no milk. All you have to do is stir fry the meat with the seasonings and spices you use add enough water and let cook on medium- low heat. Well.., the box has the instructions anyway. Hope this can help!! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif
Bye!
Sory.

P.S.: I tried to add an attachment with a picture of the box, so you could have an idea on how it looks, but I don't have the authorization. I'll try to get it. icon_sad.gif

Cakemaster26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemaster26 Posted 3 Mar 2006 , 7:51pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by karennayak

Hi,
Just saw your thread. I am Indian, and love to cook. I have a website with all our family favourites.... I created the site, a few years ago, just for our family who are scattered around the world. But I would be happy to send you the URL if you would like it. I have quite a few curries on the site.
Karen

Hi Karen I wouldn't mind taking a look at those recipes. I have tried curry chicken and loved it but never tried to make it.

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%