We Have A Winner

Decorating By susanmm23 Updated 14 Apr 2005 , 11:51pm by susanmm23

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:33am
post #1 of 14

ok just made my first batch of dream whip icing........... must admit at first i was very worried. but as it came together i calmed down. Had my husband try it he LOVES IT!!!!!!!!!!! he says he is sure his family will like it. it is a bit warm here tonight so im letting it set on the counter in a bowl with a lid to see how it will hold up on saturday.

13 replies
momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:49am
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

ok just made my first batch of dream whip icing........... must admit at first i was very worried. but as it came together i calmed down. Had my husband try it he LOVES IT!!!!!!!!!!! he says he is sure his family will like it. it is a bit warm here tonight so im letting it set on the counter in a bowl with a lid to see how it will hold up on saturday.

AWESOME! IM GLAD THAT IT CAME OUT GOOD!!
WHAT RECIPE DID YOU USE?

susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:57am
post #3 of 14

i used the 1 1/3 cup shortening
1/2 pak. dream whip
2 tsp vanilla
whip for 7-10 minutes on high

2lbs p sugar
1/2 cup flour
2/3 - 3/4 cup milk
whip 7-10 minutes more on high

then i added my color and whipped for about 5 more minutes.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 3:59am
post #4 of 14

Maybe cali4dawn can answer this for me...I made the Dream Whip Icing also, but it seemed to become gritty after it set a while. Would that be from the flour?
Just curious to see if maybe yours had done that also susanmm23.

susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:03am
post #5 of 14

not yet i did read a post maybe it was your that said that had happened. I made mine like an hour ago and plan on chacking it before i go to sleep and when i get up to get the kids off to school. i will be praying in my sleep that it is ok.

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:23am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmm23

i used the 1 1/3 cup shortening
1/2 pak. dream whip
2 tsp vanilla
whip for 7-10 minutes on high

2lbs p sugar
1/2 cup flour
2/3 - 3/4 cup milk
whip 7-10 minutes more on high

then i added my color and whipped for about 5 more minutes.

GREAT! SO THIS IS MORE FLUFFY THAN BC? ITS MORE LIKE A WHIP CREAM? ALSO, CAN YOU DECORATE WITH IT AND MAKE ROSES ETC??
IM GONNA HAVE TO GIVE THIS A TRY!
WHERE DO YOU FIND THE DREAM WHIP AT?

susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 4:26am
post #7 of 14

right by the boxes of jello. my husband says it tastes similar to the whipped icing you get from the bakeries. mine came out very light and fluffy. if you add less milk it will be thicker and you can decorate with it. at least that is what i have been told. i havent tried yet. tonight was to see how the icing would taste before i made a bunch of it for my cake on saturday.

jscakes Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 5:34am
post #8 of 14

Okay, this is a different recipe than the one I used. I'll have to go and check but I'm sure the one I tried you used boiling water and 1 whole pack of DW. hmmmm?

susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 11:41am
post #9 of 14

ok so i got up and tasted my icing. its still all good. im so happy that it isnt gritty. i got my glass of water ready just in case lol thank you to everyone that gave me advice oh and after sitting on the counter all night in the bowl its not any softer than it was when i started.. i will find the posts that i got my recipe from for you jscakes.

susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 11:46am
post #10 of 14

ok i found it http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-959.html

just in case i didnt do the link right its under recipe tips and is on the first page the name is dream whip icing???

jscakes Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 1:11pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks susanmm23. After reading the whole post of the link you provided, the last one was with the originator of the recipe, Janzcakes, with correct directions. I'm still going to try this recipe without the water but use milk instead. Also want to use cali4dawn's version of the buttercream as I've heard nothing but good about it. thanks

susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 10:06pm
post #12 of 14

ok just made allmy cakes and my icing for tomorrow. I have a ton of things i have to do before i can come home and decorate. I LOVE THIS DREAM WHIP!!!!!!! that said i did alter the recipe a little. instead of half an envelope i put a whole one in for each batch. It tasted even better and even less sweet. all but one of my cakes came out great but i will make it work. ITs not nasty or any thing just cracked when i was turning itout of the pan. IT didnt break all the way so as long as im careful everything will be ok.

jscakes Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 11:06pm
post #13 of 14

good to hear all is going well. You'll do fine putting everything together. Post a picture when you get finished, is the cake for any special event?

susanmm23 Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 11:51pm
post #14 of 14

its for my sons 8th birthday party on saturday. i will have my pic up by sunday afternoon. (texas time that is)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%