Smoothing Buttercream - Grrrr

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 27 Feb 2006 , 8:26pm by abbey

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 23

I know this has probably been mentioned on here alot, but for the life of me, I cannot get icing smooth! Take a look at the lighthouse in my photos. The tower is all wrinkly. I even used parchment and then just my hands to smooth. I've been using Carol Lawrence's BC recipe and it's almost like it crusts too fast on me? It's got cornstarch in it, so i'm not sure that's what does it? Does anyone have a BC recipe to share or any tips? I'm really getting frustrated. :'(

22 replies
MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcakes

I know this has probably been mentioned on here alot, but for the life of me, I cannot get icing smooth! Take a look at the lighthouse in my photos. The tower is all wrinkly. I even used parchment and then just my hands to smooth. I've been using Carol Lawrence's BC recipe and it's almost like it crusts too fast on me? It's got cornstarch in it, so i'm not sure that's what does it? Does anyone have a BC recipe to share or any tips? I'm really getting frustrated. :'(

Beachcakes: I use Wilton's with added almond extract to improve the flavor. It is good to smooth and it doesn't crust too fast. I use the spray a little water on it method taught to me in my Wilton class and it works good for me..

You spray a little water with a small water bottle and then smooth with the big spatula.

Then you can wait for it to crust like 5-7 minutes and then use the Viva Paper towel method...

Wilton's Buttercream

2 lbs of confectioners sugar 10x
2 cups of Crisco Shortening (Use Crisco Brand, no butter)
2 tablespoons of Meringue Powder
2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 teaspoons of almond extract
6 tablespoons of water for medium and 8 for light

Beat Crisco until fluffy. Add the water and continue mixing until incorporated.

Add flavors and mix.

Add sugar and meringue powder slowly and continue mixing until creamy.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 23

Try Viva Papertowels! They rock!

If your cake is crusting too fast you might try the upside down icing method, its in the articles on this site. I don't usually take the time to do this, but I do love using the spackling tool from the hardware store on the sides of my cake. Get a smooth finish everytime. I use it and a spatula dipped in hot water for the top when I use a non crusting icing, like this one:
LL

mscorliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mscorliss Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 23

I have the very same problem. I have tried and tried to get my cakes smooth and it is sooooooo frustrating. Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try it as well. By the way. your cake is very lovely.

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 23

The Viva paper towel trick is the best one I've found. Just place the paper towel on your cake about 10 minutes after you've iced it and smooth with your hand. It's the only way I can get my cakes relatively smooth.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 23

I have great results with this method. After you've smoothed the cake as best you can with a metal spatula - run the spatula under HOT water to heat it up. Then dry the spatula off and smooth your cake again until the spatula cools down again. Run it under hot water again, dry, then smooth again. The heat from the spatula heats up the icing and smooths it wonderfully! I use this method always and it always comes out very smooth. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 23

Thank you all for your tips - I have yet to try the VIva towels, but I've tried w/ parchment w/o much luck.

BJ - I use the hot knife method to cut cheesecake, so now I'll have to try it with icing.

Euphoria - is that an IMBC? Beautiful cake - came out very smooth!

MariaLovesCakes - thank you so much for your recipe! The Crisco recipe I have used in the past (not the one i used yesterday) calls for 4c. of Crisco w/ 2 lb. of 10x.

I wonder what the ratio of fat to sugar does for a recipe? The one i used last nite had 3c. Crisco to 4 lb. 10x!!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 9:52pm
post #8 of 23

The Crisco makes the frosting more fluffy and easier to spread. Without Crisco it is like thick paste and gooey! The more Crisco the more body but too much tastes bad! Sometimes recipes are a little heavy on the Crisco. I just finished smoothing many tiers and it also takes PATIENCE. My emoticons aren't working but good luck. I like the paper towel (Viva) method too!

dsoutherngirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsoutherngirl Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 23

I could absolutely never smooth cakes until I tried the crusting buttercream recipe from this site. It's called faux fondant II I believe. It contains flour for stability. Then I smooth it with Viva. This is a picture of my cake after I started using this icing. I didn't post this cake in the gallery because I tried to copy Boween's beautiful cake and there ain't no sense in pretending to copy a master. icon_redface.gif But I wanted to show you how I have improved on smoothing because of this recipe!!!. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

sdfgarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdfgarcia Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 9:59pm
post #10 of 23

Hi, Beach....something else you might try is icing your cake using the cake icer tip - it is much easier to smooth if it goes on evenly to start with. I have used the icer tip, and even used a #12 (big round one) to pipe icing on to the surface of the cake. By the time I get the whole cake covered, the icing is set enough that a warm spatula smooths it right out.

BTW, I use Wilton method icing without the meringue powder, and it works very well.

Good luck!

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 10:08pm
post #11 of 23

I was having a hard time too until one day my husband said that looks like smoothing drywall you should try drywall spatulas. I got a nice big one, plastic at the hardware store and can go across the whole cake sometimes I don't even need the parchment rubbing after.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 23

Euphoria - is that an IMBC? Beautiful cake - came out very smooth!

No it is Toba Garrett's French Vanilla Buttercream. I posted the recipe in this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=163846#163846

It is so yummy, tastes like vanilla ice cream.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 10:40pm
post #13 of 23

I use a small cloth to smooth mine and it has changed the way I feel aboutmaking cakes now. No more hot water etc... or frustration!
My buttercream crusts pretty good too but I can begin smoothing right after I finish frosting...the icing will not stick to the cloth.
See before and after photo's here:
LL
LL

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 10:43pm
post #14 of 23

Another Viva fanatic here!

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 10:51pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoLady

I use a small cloth to smooth mine and it has changed the way I feel aboutmaking cakes now. No more hot water etc... or frustration!
My buttercream crusts pretty good too but I can begin smoothing right after I finish frosting...the icing will not stick to the cloth.
See before and after photo's here:

What kind of cloth are you using that it doesn't stick to the icing? Would love to know..

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 12:35am
post #16 of 23

It's just a piece of cotton about the size of a handkerchief. It does not stick at all...I can start smoothing right after icing the cake.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 3:01am
post #17 of 23

I am another Viva fan - you can check the cakes in my photos - most all of them I used that method on. Works like a charm. I only wait about 3 -5 minutes before doing though. If you wait too long it will "wrinkle" from being too dry. I also usually use the Snow White Buttercream recipe posted on this site for my icing. (it is very good!)

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 3:50am
post #18 of 23

I haven't read the other responses yet, so I'm not sure what tips you've gotten already but the thing that works the best for me is interfacing from the fabric store. I've tried wax and parchment paper, and the much loved Viva paper towel, but the interfacing is awesome!

Good luck,
Suz

Marimar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marimar Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 6:38am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgirl1227

but the interfacing is awesome!

Any specific brand or type???

TIA!

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 8:18pm
post #20 of 23

Cashley, someone, I'm not sure who it was, said they use those blue shop towels that come on a roll. I guess you can by them at auto supply stores and they are supposed to be food safe as well!

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 26 Feb 2006 , 6:39am
post #21 of 23

I tried the Viva and I love it too.

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 8:19pm
post #22 of 23

When you use the paper towel method, is the paper towel moist or dry? I am not familir with Viva towels but don't most paper towels have a small pattern? Does the pattern transfer to the cake?

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 27 Feb 2006 , 8:26pm
post #23 of 23

Viva paper towels don't have a design. You use the paper towel dry. You just lay the towel on the cake after the BC has slightly crusted and smooth. I use my fondant smoother on top of the towel and rub it. It works great. I will not attempt to smooth without a Viva!

Good luck with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%