What Did I Do To These Cookies?!?

Baking By krissy_kze Updated 2 Mar 2006 , 1:40am by golfgirl1227

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 17

Why are they all spotted? I used clear vanilla and the no fail sugar cookie recipe. I've made them before and they weren't spotted. Any ideas what caused this?
LL

16 replies
subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 17

Never saw that happen. Did you roll them out on parchment, or flour. I was thinking maybe the spots are scorched flour?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 17

do they taste good??

It almost looks like the sugar isn't dissolved and just carmalized in the oven. But thats really just a guess. IF they taste good ice them and it won't be noticable.

krissy_kze Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 17

Yeah, I rolled them out on parchment and didn't use any flour.

peg18 I bet it has something to do with the fact that I rushed the butter. I didn't really let it get totally room temp. I never thought it would create spots!! Weird!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 17

hmmmm...never seen that before, but one thing I can tell is that your oven is too hot. See how the edges are a bit browned and the centers are still pale?

Lower the oven temp by 25 degrees next time and add a few extra minutes onto the baking time. They will bake evenly and have just a touch of golden brown at the edges instead.

(This has nothing to do with the spotting you had occur...I just wanted to offer a bit of extra advice! icon_smile.gif )

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 17

I have a confession......I don't let my butter get room temp when I make no fail..... icon_surprised.gif mine aren't spotted........so i don't think its the butter..........

BUT.......

I will say this....mine are ALWAYS too brown on the edges....so I apreciated your tip antonia!!! You're my idol anyway...you say "The best cookies come from you jumping off a bridge first then eating the egg shells from the eggs you use and tada..the perfect cookie"....I would eat 4 eggs just to be sure!!!

krissy_kze Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks Antonia. I actually DID lower the temp to 330. I'll try even more next time. Maybe my oven isn't that great even though it's new.

I wish I knew what caused the spotting since twinsline7 shot my butter theory all to heck! LOL!

lemoncurd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lemoncurd Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 17

Perhaps your refridgerater is much colder, or much warmer than hers? I don't know but it's a thought. That might matter with the butter.

I'd also use real vanilla. The best you can get.

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 17

A couple of things that I can see/think of. First, they were baked too long or too hot. Since you say you have already turned the temp down in your oven--I'm going with too long. They should be barely brown on the edges and then removed from the oven. Cookies actually finish "baking" on the sheets--this is part of the reason why you need to let them sit on the baking sheet for a minute or two before you remove them to the cooling racks.

If you break one open--is it spotted throughout? I'm guess that it will not be.

What looks to me that could have happened, is you may have actually overbeat your dough and incorporated a bunch of air into the dough. Are the spots actually air bubbles? If so, this would explain them.

These are the only things I can think of. HTH and good luck! Do they taste ok?

Lisa

FunnyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunnyCakes Posted 24 Feb 2006 , 11:49pm
post #10 of 17

I wonder if your cookies were on the upper rack too close to the heating element? Or maybe your oven's upper element is working - but the bottom one is not as warm.

sometimes on white cakes - that will happen to mine if the layer is on the upper rack.

Or, maybe they caught some sort of chicken pox, and you will have to eat them all - you know, to keep from exposing your customers. Gee, I hate it when that happens - I think I'll go cook some on the upper rack right now.... icon_smile.gif

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 25 Feb 2006 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 17

I made a batch of biscuits this morning with half white flour, half whole wheat, and they looked just like this with the spots. Is it possible that you accidentally used some whole wheat flour?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 7:16am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy_kze

Why are they all spotted? I used clear vanilla and the no fail sugar cookie recipe. I've made them before and they weren't spotted. Any ideas what caused this?

Did you cream the butter and sugar properly. I have been thinking about this for a while and that's the only thing I can think of. If the sugar was not really dissolved then it would cause spots like that once the granules heat up.

krissy_kze Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 17

Well, I creamed them for a while but like I said, the butter was kind of cold still so maybe it didn't blend as much as it should have.

I think I figured out why they were funky. I'm very embarrassed to admit this but I didn't use enough butter! I was halving the recipe and only used 2 sticks of butter istead of 4! I wondered why they were so easy to roll out. LOL! They tasted fine they were just crunchy.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 10:53pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:

Well, I creamed them for a while but like I said, the butter was kind of cold still so maybe it didn't blend as much as it should have.

I think I figured out why they were funky. I'm very embarrassed to admit this but I didn't use enough butter! I was halving the recipe and only used 2 sticks of butter istead of 4! I wondered why they were so easy to roll out. LOL! They tasted fine they were just crunchy.

I have actually creamed my butter cold a number of times. LOL you know those occasions when you forget to remove it from the fridge? LOL, yes i know bad princess LOL... icon_biggrin.gif

krissy_kze Posted 1 Mar 2006 , 11:12pm
post #15 of 17

I don't forget I'm just impatient icon_wink.gif

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 12:04am
post #16 of 17
Quote:

I make half a recipe all the time. You used the right amount of butter, 2 sticks equals one cup. I had to go check just to make sure, LOL!! My cookies are spotted too. I just assumed they were supposed to be like that. They taste great. I don't have a clue what could cause it. I have made them with regular butter and no salt butter, sometimes I have room temp butter and sometimes I use it cold and they always have spots. Maybe I will try to beat mine less next time. I have notice that sometimes I get really big bubbles in mine so I could be overbeating them. I'll just blame my KA, it does all my mixing.

Not that this helps you much but thought you'll like to know you aren't the only one with this going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyCakes

Or, maybe they caught some sort of chicken pox, and you will have to eat them all - you know, to keep from exposing your customers. Gee, I hate it when that happens - I think I'll go cook some on the upper rack right now....

ROTF so does this mean I can keep all the cookies I just baked for my kids's Dr Seuss class parties tomorrow?? I certainly don't want to contaimate their classes. NA NA, I've already had the chicken pox, LOL!!!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 2 Mar 2006 , 1:40am
post #17 of 17
Quote:

Thanks Antonia. I actually DID lower the temp to 330. I'll try even more next time. Maybe my oven isn't that great even though it's new.

Just wanted to let you know that I also have a new oven and it bakes higher than the selected temp. I bought an oven thermometer at a restaurant supply store (in their sale bin for like a dollar!). I think you can get them pretty much anywhere though. Now I know what the temp really is. I bake at 325 degrees.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%