Filling Cakes & Cupcakes

Decorating By galaglow Updated 14 Apr 2005 , 1:37am by galaglow

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 3

Here I go showing my ignorance again! icon_smile.gif I was reading cali4dawn's cupcake tutorial and how she fills the cupcakes, which I thought was a great idea - I'd never heard of anyone doing this, I'll have to try it. Usually people are ordering plain sheet cakes, just basic white, chocolate or yellow. I can hardly believe it when people tell me how good they taste...geez, it's just from a (usually Duncan Hines) box! I always tell them, "Thanks, it's an old family recipe from my Uncle Duncan." So, I'm thinking if I start doctoring them with the Cake Mix Dr. book and filling them I'll be really popular! icon_biggrin.gif

What are your favorite fillings to put in cakes/cupcakes? Would you fill a cake the same way cali4dawn did with the cupcakes, or is it just a layer of filling between the cake layers? Thanks!

2 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 12:36am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaglow

What are your favorite fillings to put in cakes/cupcakes? Would you fill a cake the same way cali4dawn did with the cupcakes, or is it just a layer of filling between the cake layers? Thanks!

Oh, heavens no... don;t do that with a cake, it will fall into a million pieces...at least I imagine it would.

No.. .split your layer and fill it or simply only fill in between the two layers. You'll be much happier.

Here are great instructions:

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/makecake/torting.cfm

If you have a large layer that would be difficult to remove with your hands, use a flat surface such as a cake board or cookie sheet (the kind without a side) and slip under the cut cake before removing. Replace the cake by sliding it back on using the same board.

galaglow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galaglow Posted 14 Apr 2005 , 1:37am
post #3 of 3

Thanks cali4dawn! LOL! I could almost picture you cringing as you read my post! Good God NO!! icon_smile.gif Thanks for the link to the article too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%