Please Critique My Website

Decorating By BrandisBaked Updated 22 Mar 2007 , 5:07am by MichelleM77

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 5:55pm
post #31 of 55

Your site looks nice. Seemed easy to navigate. I'm using Mozilla too.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:05pm
post #32 of 55

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to look. I appreciate all of the positive feedback - makes it easier to swallow the pricetag. lol

Once I add more photos to the gallery, I'll see what can be done to address the issues two of you mentioned.

Thanks again!!!

scoobam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scoobam Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:37pm
post #33 of 55

it's working for me now. YEY!!

looks wonderful! thumbs_up.gif

tiffanypatton79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffanypatton79 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 6:49pm
post #34 of 55

i love your site, the figure kinda "bewitch-e to me, very cute i also love the fact that the buttons are cakes great job thumbs_up.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 7:05pm
post #35 of 55

super cute site!

here are a few things I noticed, and this is all being "picky", since you asked. I love this kind of stuff!

- home page: "share" from "share some" is a bit tough to read quickly, the a,r,and e seem to run too close together.

- intro paragraph may be longer than many people will read, maybe a sentance less there?

-on one of my computer monitors, the "pricing" cake lost it's top, (on another it appeared just fine!) maybe the contrast there could be bumped up a bit?

- on the menu page, the yellow arrow next to "TOP" is hard to see.

That's all I could find, I really like the site! Like I said, just picky stuff.

BrandisBaked Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 7:15pm
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by czyadgrl

That's all I could find, I really like the site! Like I said, just picky stuff.

I'm not looking for a pat on the back here... pick it apart! LOL!

I want to know how my customers are going to see me. My website represents ME online... if it's unprofessional, then I look unprofessional as well. Even those little "picky" things make an impression... so thanks for pointing them out. ?icon_biggrin.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 7:35pm
post #37 of 55

ok, I went back again! (got another snippet of time)

- on the "about brandi bakes page, frequently asked questions are creeping up on the header, like it needs the same "space after" the header as the other 2 sections on that page.

- this may just be a thing of mine, but I don't think you need quotes around Diabetic Friendly on the menu page.

- also the type used for subheads of diabetic-friendly cakes and cookies is appearing a little light/pale on my screen.

Ok, really that's all I can even find!

but really, the site is waaaaaay cool.

mekaclayton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mekaclayton Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 8:13pm
post #38 of 55

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh how I LOVE YOUR SITE. Did I mention, I LOVE your site. The colors are great and I can't wait until you are done! Keep me updated on your progress!

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:37pm
post #39 of 55

I absolutely LOVE the blonde doll pic - can I steal it from ya icon_lol.gif

It looks so retro chic and uber cool!

One thing I would suggest about pics of your cakes -definately do a watermark image so no one can come across and claim the cakes as something they made.

BrandisBaked Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 10:43pm
post #40 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlywedws

I absolutely LOVE the blonde doll pic - can I steal it from ya icon_lol.gif .

Uh... NO!!! LOL!! That's my logo (I had to pay extra for that)... and I intend to be famous soon. icon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 11:39pm
post #41 of 55

All I have to say is thanks for making your logo look like me. icon_wink.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 11:42pm
post #42 of 55

Okay, I don't know if this is just me or not, but I could tell what the pic is of on your adult cake gallery button. Maybe make that of something else? Maybe I'm just a dirty birdy.

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 11:48pm
post #43 of 55

I love your site but did I see correctly that you charge $500.00 for a 9 inch round Carrot Cake and $100.00 for a 9 inch round Chocolate Cake? And $50.00 for a single serving of Chocolate Cake? I wish I could get that kind of money!

Lazy_Susan

amandasweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandasweetcakes Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 11:59pm
post #44 of 55

It is very fun! I really love it. Love your graphics. I can't wait until I can have a professional do my site. They do amazing things!

A BIG thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

BrandisBaked Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:03am
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

I love your site but did I see correctly that you charge $500.00 for a 9 inch round Carrot Cake and $100.00 for a 9 inch round Chocolate Cake? And $50.00 for a single serving of Chocolate Cake? I wish I could get that kind of money!

Lazy_Susan

I only WISH I could get that much! No, that's just placeholder text... I'll go in and change it once I know what my prices actually will be.
icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:05am
post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiBakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan

I only WISH I could get that much! No, that's just placeholder text... I'll go in and change it once I know what my prices actually will be.
icon_smile.gif

Yeah but wouldn't you just die if someone actually ordered the $500.00 Carrot Cake??? LOL

BrandisBaked Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:07am
post #47 of 55

Well, I just heard of a $1,000 pizza they're selling in New York - so I guess some people will pay anything. LOL!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 12:07am
post #48 of 55

The whole feel of your site reminds me of that on-line cake baker game. It really is cute.

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 6:44pm
post #49 of 55

I really like it ...very fun,bright and funky!
I personally love the Knight Rider reference on the pricing page....but i know its just filler! LOL!

I'm not sure if you can or care to do this...but I find the gallery a bit flat..the rest of the site has so much humour and fun feeling....the gallery could possibly use some more jazz if you know what I mean?? Suggestion, having the pic boxes for the different galleries like circles or bubbles, with more bubble like graphics on the background....bringing that fun, retro funky feeling??

Also...you have "traditional wedding cakes" is your style always "traditional"?? Or will it contain say topsy turvy cakes? Perhaps a different title simply wedding cakes if you don't want more than one gallery for wedding cakes..kwim?
Is there a reason why you can click on the galleries from the base of your contact page??

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 5:05am
post #50 of 55

I think your site looks 100% classy and professional! Love the drawing of you. Colors look great too even though I'm not a pink with brown fan at all. My thoughts... Include the LARGER cake/dessert pics and headings on the home page as well as the GALLERY page, with a pale pink bubble (as someone suggested) behind each. CATEGORIES(?): WEDDING, KIDS, ALL-OCCASION, 3 D, ADULT, 'SUGAR-FREE & DIABETIC FRIENDLY'... A 'NEXT' and 'PREVIOUS' button when viewing the cakes in each category and/or in the gallery would be easier. My tabs would be HOME, GALLERY, MENU, CONTACT ME, ABOUT ME. Also, it would be much easier and convenient if you could incorporate your pricing at the beginning or end of your flavor description rather than flipping back and forth to different pages. Pricing boxes: I'd skip the word 'PRICE' since you included the $ sign on the amounts. For the truffles, maybe make 2 boxes, 1 headed 'EACH' the other 'DOZEN'. Maybe 'Adult Cake Gallery' could just show the words 'X-RATED' cause you can sort of make out what it is. I'd also include the 'SHARE SOME' feature toward the bottom of all pages. Please keep in mind these are just my opinions and sorry if it appears I'm picking apart the whole site. If you don't change any of it, it'll still be WONDERFUL!!! My husband has been paying since Christmas for my site (Yahoo) and I'm on the verge of cancelling it cause I can't figure out how to change the words on the page tabs, or even how to add more tabs, and many other things. I lost my job 9-15-06 (company sold to the corporation, then they made cuts) so I can't afford to pay a pro. Wish I could get some friendly free help from someone who knows how to make a Yahoo site.

Good luck with your site, you're on the right track!!!

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Mar 2007 , 2:14pm
post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delynn

Maybe 'Adult Cake Gallery' could just show the words 'X-RATED' cause you can sort of make out what it is.

My husband has been paying since Christmas for my site (Yahoo) and I'm on the verge of cancelling it cause I can't figure out how to change the words on the page tabs, or even how to add more tabs, and many other things. I lost my job 9-15-06 (company sold to the corporation, then they made cuts) so I can't afford to pay a pro. Wish I could get some friendly free help from someone who knows how to make a Yahoo site.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that could see it! icon_redface.gif

I don't know how much you are paying for a Yahoo site, but I think you can transfer your info to another, like Homestead. I'm paying 4.99 a month and didn't know a thing about starting a website and figured most of it out, with a few tips from a friend. thumbs_up.gif I think mine turned out okay, but I could use a lesson or two on photography! I'm in the same boat, company decided to use overseas medical transcriptionists so 40 of us got canned in September. So much for supporting the US of A. usaribbon.gif

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:21am
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delynn

Maybe 'Adult Cake Gallery' could just show the words 'X-RATED' cause you can sort of make out what it is.

My husband has been paying since Christmas for my site (Yahoo) and I'm on the verge of cancelling it cause I can't figure out how to change the words on the page tabs, or even how to add more tabs, and many other things. I lost my job 9-15-06 (company sold to the corporation, then they made cuts) so I can't afford to pay a pro. Wish I could get some friendly free help from someone who knows how to make a Yahoo site.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that could see it! icon_redface.gif

I don't know how much you are paying for a Yahoo site, but I think you can transfer your info to another, like Homestead. I'm paying 4.99 a month and didn't know a thing about starting a website and figured most of it out, with a few tips from a friend. thumbs_up.gif I think mine turned out okay, but I could use a lesson or two on photography! I'm in the same boat, company decided to use overseas medical transcriptionists so 40 of us got canned in September. So much for supporting the US of A. usaribbon.gif

Thanks for the info, I'm soooo going to ck it out. Do I go to 'Homestead.com'?

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:30am
post #53 of 55

Yep, homestead.com. I just went there and I don't see where I thought you could 'transfer' your website over. Darn it. I don't know where I read that. Well, you can save parts of your current website (pictures, text, etc.) and then upload them to your Homestead site. There is a 30-day free trial. Maybe you can play around with it and see if you can figure out the Homestead website. If not, maybe Yahoo has a help desk?

cakes_by_rhonda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes_by_rhonda Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 4:46am
post #54 of 55

I have a yahoo site and I have to admit I was getting frustrated but... I think I have a handle on it ow. My site is wwwsweetoccasioncreations.com. Look at it and if you want me to walk you through something email me throught the contact page and I will help you. I am 3 months new at this cake decorating... so forgive me my cakes!!!

MichelleM77 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:07am
post #55 of 55

Ugh. Didn't read the fine print on the homestead thing, or maybe I was just so excited to get started. After the 30 day trial, there is a $20 one-time start up fee. Dang. My monthly also goes up from 4.99 to 9.99 after 3 months. Oh well. Guess I better go drum up some business! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%