How Do I Cover The Wonder Mold With Fondant?

Decorating By Eren Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 7:35am by JanH

Eren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eren Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:11am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a doll cake for one of my friend's daughters. I'm planning on using the Wilton Wonder Mold for the skirt, but I need to cover it in fondant (I've always used buttercream for this pan), most likely making my own MMF.

So, how do I do it? I've covered round cakes with it before, but this one is "pointy", not flat on the top like a round cake.
Do I make the circle bigger than for a round cake?
Do I make it smaller and smooth it until the cake is covered?
Is a "seam" at the back of the cake inevitable? (which, really, it's fine)
I'd rather have a seam in the back than folds all over the bottom of the cake.

Help!!

3 replies
FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:20am
post #2 of 4

I did a bride cake for a friend last year with the pleats around it (Too give the cinderalla look). At the time I was not aware of MMF so I used Rolled Buttercream. Actually it was pretty easy and I was not that experience with fondant at the time. I just made sure I rolled the fondant larger than the wonder mold and roll the fondant onto my rolling pin and place over the cake.

I think you will find it easier than you expect. You should not have any seams what so ever.

If you have the 2002 Wilton Yearbook it has alot of different examples of the Doll cake.

Hope this helps.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:20am
post #3 of 4

Sorry I can not help with your problem so I am bumping your question so that someone else can help.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 7:35am
post #4 of 4

Don't know if this info will help.

But here's a thread on a Barbie cake covered in fondant using the wonder mold:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-58061-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%