Need Help With Buttercream Icing?

Decorating By manyacakes Updated 20 Mar 2007 , 10:19am by oilili

manyacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manyacakes Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a chocolate and vanilla buttercream icing. Mu husband when shopping this morning and got butter that was on sale but it wasn't unslated. Can I still use it in my recipe? The vanilla one doesn't call for adding any salt to it. The chocolate one calls for a pinch of sugar.

Thanks,
Manya

7 replies
karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 8

Hi there, i always use salted butter in my buttercream, it makes it not soo sweet, balances the flavor.

wysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wysmommy Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 12:08am
post #3 of 8

I only use unsalted butter with my buttercream. I make it with italian meringue if that makes any difference. I think the salted is too much by the time you add all the butter into the frosting. I have used 1 stick added to a batch (2 and a half lbs) and it was ok.

dadams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dadams Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 12:16am
post #4 of 8

I only use unsalted butter with my buttercream
it is the 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco recipe

heiser73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heiser73 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 12:22am
post #5 of 8

I always use unsalted as well, I use the buttercream dream recipe. I think the salted takes away from the sweetness a bit and makes it taste more butteryicon_smile.gif

But if you use a Swiss Meringue or Italian Meringue than it does make a big difference and I don't think it is a good oneicon_smile.gif I tried it once and my sister said it tasted like salty butter on cake! YUKicon_smile.gif

karmicflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karmicflower Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:16am
post #6 of 8

I agree not to use the salted for a meringue style buttercream, I use salted only when i do the crusting buttercream. Like heiser73 said it does make it take more buttery and cuts down the sweetness just a bit, its still real sweet, it has alot of powdered sugar. Ever since i tried it that way, its just so good, and everyone raves about it, because many people don't like the overly sweet buttercream.

Ali24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali24 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:32am
post #7 of 8

I always add a little salt to all my buttercream. I took a poll at my husband's work, they all seemed to like the salted better. I send my weekly practice cakes with him, so I don't end up eating all of them. Salt is said to enhance flovors, right.

oilili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oilili Posted 20 Mar 2007 , 10:19am
post #8 of 8

I guess we are never going to agree on this salted x unsalted matter!!! icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%