Ideas For Sorority Cake?

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 5:18pm by step0nmi

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 13

I am going through a delema here! I just talked with a girl I know at my school and she wanted to know if I could make her a tiered cake for her sorority banquet/fundraiser for the end of the semester! (end of April) She basically seems like she wants a wedding cake cause she wants tiered with fondant and roses(cause that is their flower) and their colors are Peach and Black! I am looking around and I don't see anything with sorority ideas cause I think that would be better than just a simple wedding like cake! And besides that those are crazy colors to put together and how would I make it look nice? Any Ideas? How would I charge her cause this is my first one? aggg!

12 replies
mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 13

I have a great idea. You should make every other layer peach or black. then on the flowers you should put peach flowers on the black layers and black flowers in the peach layers. I can see it now!

Kristy32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristy32 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 13

Being a sorority girl myself, we always like to see our letters on things too. Maybe make a topper with the Greek letters. To add a little something, you could see if they have a saying or motto and use a pretty print to write around one of the layers. Good Luck!

step0nmi Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 13

Both are great ideas! I think I am getting a little closer!
What would be the best way to get sorority letters or make them?? I don't want to be incorrect on them because the girl wouldn't even let ME touch the letters cause of...their rules?

Kristy32 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 13

You could either buy them at a bookstore if you're near a college campus, or form them with wire and decorate off that. I found an article today that showed you how to do that, but I'll have to search for it again. I think you dipped the wire in icing and then could use a tip to make pearls. If I find it, I'll post it. If you tell me which sorority it is, I can make sure you have the right letters! We do have a lot of rules! icon_smile.gif

Momofjakeandjosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjakeandjosh Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 13

The first thing that popped into my mind was maybe peach covered fondant layers stacked with a pretty black ribbon around the base of each layer. Then, some peach roses cascading down the side. You could make the sorority letters on the top of the cake.

step0nmi Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 13

Yes, I think that is what she kind of had in mind with the cascading flowers.I wanted to kind of put my own spin on it instead of just doing something so simple. I love the ideas of the letters! I didn't know you could do that kind of stuff and I would love to see that article! Now, is just to get the pricing down? and should I make roses or use real ones...I guess that would be up to her. What do you think?
Oh! I think I need to ask the letters again! Or maybe I can find it on our school site!
Thanks for all the ideas!

step0nmi Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 13

Ok...Their chapter is: Zeta Sigma Chi. They are a multicultural sorority. I love the colors together now that I have seen their website! I am even thinking that peach roses on black wouldn't look so bad! But, are they gonna wanna eat it? Very cool! Any more ideas on that note would be great! icon_biggrin.gif

Kristy32 Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 13

I can't seem to find that article, but if I remember right, you just formed the design you wanted out of wire and dipped it in icing. Once you let that dry, you can pipe pearl drops or anything on top of it. I'm actually making a cake for my sorority's philanthropy this week and making my own topper. If it turns out well, I'll post pictures! icon_smile.gif
The letters look like ÆÓ×...you can see it better on their website.

aminium Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminium Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 13

AC Moore and Michaels also sell Greek Letters...or you could print our the Greek Alphabet and do a transfer or trace the letters in Royal or something...you would have to print it out from somehwere b/c unfortunalty most computers won't let you just type them out!

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:50pm
post #11 of 13

Can't you right click on the website over the letters and save? That way you have a pattern for whatever you decide to do them in. Just a thought.

JILBRY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JILBRY Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 2:51pm
post #12 of 13

Also, sorry forgot to say. I would do the peach layers with black ribbon with the flowers cascading down. It will be gorgeous no matter what you decide.

step0nmi Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 13

All these ideas are great! I have combined them and decided to make a questionnaire for the girls to decide for themselves. I think they will definetly pick the peach with the black ribbon. I think that will look the best. Also, I am going to let them decide if they want to provide the letters or if I can make them. I wanted to make sure that I could do that since there are rules about the letters they have as I and Kristy32 had pointed out before. This way I know exactly what they want! And this is totally obtainable. Now my problem is figuring out what to charge since this would be my first tiered cake! I am just so nervous about it!
Thanks for all the help!

p.s.I didn't know Michael's sells letters! I'll have to look into that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%