Fondant Wrinkles And Folds

Decorating By Lolafalano Updated 18 Mar 2007 , 5:38pm by Pyxxydust

Lolafalano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lolafalano Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 4

whenever I try to cover a cake with fondant (wilton brand- I know I know) I get folds and wrinkles and it never falls over the cake smoothly or easily. I wind up having to cover the wrinkles with flowers and decorations. I am so frustrated! Is there a way to get the fondant to lay completely over the cake before I cut off the excess? There must be as there are so many beautiful examples here! Please help. thank you.

3 replies
tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 4

I would love to know the answer too!! Am I rooling it to thick or too thin? Is it just the brand?

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 4

The Wilton fondant doesn't taste good...very true. icon_smile.gif But it is actually easy to work with.

Roll out more that what you need to cover your cake.
Make sure your cake is on a board the same size as your cake and carefully place your cake on a smaller, raiseed object (coffee can, Crisco can, etc.) so that when you drape your fondant over the cake, the extra fondant hangs down below the cake.

Smooth the top. Smooth the sides by working only downward, never sideways, and lift the fondant away from the cake as you smooth downward so that it lays nicely and doesn't crease or wrinkle.

The key is to have the right thickness. Too thin, and it won't stretch. Too thick and it will weigh the cake down.

Also, when you frost the cake, let it sit and settle a bit. I find, personally, that the less frosting I have, the better my fondant lays on the cake.

Hope that helped.
Angie

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 4

She's right - that's the best way to do fondant. Always make sure the cake is elevated so the fondant can hang a bit. That way, as you smooth down, all the wrinkles and pleats will go into the excess part and voila - that's the part you cut off! It works great! And it's true - Wilton fondant tastes yucky but it's easy to work with and I personally love the matte finish. Although I'm an MMF devottee now, I've had to use Wilton in a pinch and it works great (I just tell people to peel that part off!)

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%